Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:35 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,620,154 times

Advertisements

Might be a mockingbird, they are highly territorial at their breeding sites. From your description of the bird I wouldn't rule out a gray catbird either. LauraC's post nailed the why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 AM

351 posts, read 283,450 times
Windows kill more birds than anything else, sometimes just a simple decal could prevent them from flying into your window. Here are some other preventive measures you could use:
15 products that prevent window strikes - BirdWatching

Old 01-19-2019, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 369 times
For months I've had a female cardinal coming to sit on a branch about 1 foot away from my window. She jumps from the branch and bangs into the window. Back and forth, back and forth for about 4-5 hits each visit. It's obvious she thinks the reflection is more branches she can land on, but the funny thing is she comes at least 5 times a day to try it again in EXACTLY the same spot! I don't think she is hurting herself because she is only jumping from a foot away, but she is completely OBSESSED with it! Her mate will go to one of the feeders nearby and watch her while he eats. They are a really cute couple but I kinda wish he would have a little talk with her about physics. I'm sure she often tells him, "not tonight - I have a headache".

Old 01-19-2019, 02:26 PM

14,723 posts, read 14,885,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxco View Post
For months I've had a female cardinal coming to sit on a branch about 1 foot away from my window. She jumps from the branch and bangs into the window. Back and forth, back and forth for about 4-5 hits each visit. It's obvious she thinks the reflection is more branches she can land on, but the funny thing is she comes at least 5 times a day to try it again in EXACTLY the same spot! I don't think she is hurting herself because she is only jumping from a foot away, but she is completely OBSESSED with it! Her mate will go to one of the feeders nearby and watch her while he eats. They are a really cute couple but I kinda wish he would have a little talk with her about physics. I'm sure she often tells him, "not tonight - I have a headache".
She is seeing her own reflection in the window and is attacking her reflection because she thinks it's an intruder invading her territory. It's a very common behaviour that nearly all birds and many other animals will do when they see their own reflections.

Yes, she can hurt herself badly if she does it a lot. You can stop her from attacking her reflection and hurting herself by pasting a black paper silhouette of a hawk or other bird of prey in flight onto the inside of the window right where she attacks the window. Then she will stay away from the window.

Like these: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ight&FORM=IGRE

Old 01-19-2019, 07:11 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxco View Post

Put something on the window so the bird can't see her reflection.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:08 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Just out of curiosity do you have any berry bushes? Birds that eat certain berries at certain times can get intoxicated and act all goofy. I've seen it and it's pretty wild.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:48 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,626,119 times
It’s interesting the behavior one sees in animals sometimes. (BTW, agree with others about OP, that it is competitive mating behavior or territorial activity).

I had an upstairs office with a small window overlooking part of the roof below. One day I kept hearing a repeated, thump, scuffle, scuffle....pause, then thump, scuffle, scuffle. I looked out and saw 4 Blue Jays. They were taking turns doing this.....one would jump from the nearby branch to the edge of the gutter (thump) then scuttle down the inside of the gutter about a foot or two (scuffle, scuffle) and then fly to aforementioned branch to join the line waiting their turn. I stood and watched them doing this for a couple minutes. It was apparently just some sort of amusing activity for them. It was so weird the way they just lined up on the branch, each taking their turn.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:50 PM

12,790 posts, read 9,298,764 times
We have half-circle window high up in our master bathroom. At first, we had nothing on the window, but a male cardinal kept flying and banging into it. I was afraid he was either going to kill himself or break the window. My wife got some sort of adhesive lacy thing to put on the window, and he never did it again. Presumably he was seeing his reflection and attacking.

Also, at one time I had problems with birds crapping all over my outside mirrors on my truck. They were also doing the territorial thing, so I rigged up some covers to go over the mirrors while the truck was parked and it cured the problem. Putting the covers on and off was a pain, but easier than cleaning up the mess without them on.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
Have you thought about opening the window and letting it inside? That would probably put an end to your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature