U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,606,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I know people that have raised on the bottle Calves, Foals, Deer, Bison And who can forget Elsa the Lioness! Met a lady Decades ago that had a Bear since he was a cub when I meet them he was very old for a bear.
Rescuers raise baby animals & release the healthy one back into the wild. The unfit ones like the Bald Eagle that lost a wing are kept for life. I have a gf that raised Fawns 1-2 every year one year a fawn was born blind, She kept it till it died of ripe old age.
Yes I know All about raising wild animals & tame on a bottle. I was talking out of my hat so to speak. Those ranges just didn't want to give this calf a chance.
Why would they? Why is it better for a bison to be bottle raised and kept in a zoo then to be humanely euthanized? Why is it better for the park service to spend valuable resources from its already strapped budget to assuage the feelings of people who just don't want to deal with reality?

I don't agree that keeping a wild animal in captivity for the rest of its life is better for the wild animal. It just makes humans feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 01:14 PM

564 posts, read 296,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I don't agree that keeping a wild animal in captivity for the rest of its life is better for the wild animal. It just makes humans feel better.
There's just a whole lot of Bambi Syndrome going on here.

And it's not all city folks. We live in the mountains along side of bears, cougars, elk, deer - and best of all, very few humans. Still, there are the occasional residents who insist on feeding them all, never mind it's against the law. This results in several negative outcomes. One guy fed deer on a schedule despite three visits from the game warden and hundreds in fines.

So, just as the deer have an internal clock for the daily feedings, so did the lions, which had lived in seclusion for the quarter century we've lived up here. After dead and damaged deer began showing up in unnatural numbers, a special permit was issued to a hunter. Result, two dead lions. The guy chose to move rather than obey the law.

Deer are foragers. Feeding them can lead to their death. And we all know the saying, "A fed bear is a dead bear."

Some people think they know better than Mother Nature.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:49 PM

497 posts, read 302,141 times
I am actually a little bit surprised that the rangers even decided to euthanize it, and didn't just let it wander off and die like it most likely would have if it had not been picked up by the tourists in the first place. I guess they were concerned that it had started approaching cars after becoming habituated to humans. It is not the NPS mission or job to take care of sick bison, it is there job to make it possible for nature to take it's course.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:01 PM

7,322 posts, read 4,169,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
I am actually a little bit surprised that the rangers even decided to euthanize it, and didn't just let it wander off and die like it most likely would have if it had not been picked up by the tourists in the first place. I guess they were concerned that it had started approaching cars after becoming habituated to humans.
I think that's the only reason they chose to interfere. The calf was young, but someone might still have been hurt by it, and of course there was also the risk of a traffic accident. If the calf had eventually wandered off, the rangers would have let it be.

Last edited by Aredhel; 05-17-2016 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 02:02 PM

According to their statement in an earlier post, they attempted to reintroduce it to its herd first. That failed. Then you have to ask, why didn't they leave it there and let nature take its course? Maybe they were now concerned with image and felt that putting it down would cause less of a furor than making it become lunch for predators. Who knows why feds do anything?

Old 05-17-2016, 02:22 PM

7,322 posts, read 4,169,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
According to their statement in an earlier post, they attempted to reintroduce it to its herd first. That failed. Then you have to ask, why didn't they leave it there and let nature take its course?
They did leave it there. Unfortunately instead of wandering off to follow the herd, the rejected calf started approaching cars.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:30 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 23 days ago)

8,713 posts, read 10,854,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Many people are stupid. This is just an example of someone royally stupid.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
They did leave it there. Unfortunately instead of wandering off to follow the herd, the rejected calf started approaching cars.
Ahh. Okay.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:27 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,227,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Funding NOT needed just a few phone calls. Heck even a cow that's milking would saved that baby. Don't have to buy the cow just give it to the farmer to foster. Any Wildlife rescue would have taken it.

Isn't the point of wildlife rescue to eventually reintroduce the animal into the wild? This bison baby wouldn't have been able to go back to the wild. That's the problem.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM

12,447 posts, read 31,537,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Isn't the point of wildlife rescue to eventually reintroduce the animal into the wild? This bison baby wouldn't have been able to go back to the wild. That's the problem.
Really? I seen Deer return to the wild & never come back. As well as other wild life

Now where did I say he had to live in a zoo for the rest of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or