U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:55 PM

11,129 posts, read 8,540,714 times

Advertisements

With this being the nature forum, I hope people realize that baby animals die everyday and that it is 100% natural for that to happen. If you support nature, then accept death as a part of nature. Rejected baby animals die. Perfectly natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 AM

3,519 posts, read 4,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Really? I seen Deer return to the wild & never come back. As well as other wild life

Now where did I say he had to live in a zoo for the rest of his life.
Katie, I'm gonna repeat what I said in the other thread:

The NPS folks did exactly the right thing. You see a cute baby animal die and freak out and start accusing people of not "trying to save it".

Do you suggest they do the same with every baby animal in the wild that's been rejected by its herd? Do you know about brucellosis? Quarantines? The fact that bison are considered far too dangerous to keep as pets or captive animals? Would you rather they left the thing to get hit by a car or injure a person? Even if the facilities existed or the $$ was there to keep it in quarantine and keep it alive long enough to go to a "rescue" It would never survive in the wild after being had-raised and bison are huge, dangerous animals that aren't suited to captivity. They get sick, they die, or they end up hurting themselves or the misguided humans who think everything furry just needs love and food.

They likely would have left it to starve or be killed by predators (which is what happens 100% of the time when a baby bison is rejected by the herd) if it hadn't imprinted on humans and already started exhibiting dangerous behavior, but that's the fault of the idiots who put it in their car, not the Rangers who devote their WHOLE LIVES to the parks and the preservation of these animals.

I've spent a huge amount of time in our parks, studying the animals and the natural ecosystems, as an earth scientist and an outdoor enthusiast who comes from a long line of Rangers and forest service, and it pains me to read these armchair "I know better than the experts" comments coming from so many people. You don't. Respect their knowledge, experience, and decision-making. Stick to whatever it is you know about and let these deeply devoted folks do what they know.

YOU DON'T KNOW BETTER THAN THE WILDLIFE CONSERVATIONISTS, RANGERS, BIOLOGISTS, AND VETERINARIANS THAT MADE THE DECISION.

indeed.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:32 AM

12,439 posts, read 31,510,636 times
YES! I Know about know about brucellosis! I also know a LOT about raising & returning animals to the wild seen Many return to the herd! PLEASE LEARN TO READ

Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 AM

4,148 posts, read 3,160,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Katie, I'm gonna repeat what I said in the other thread:

The NPS folks did exactly the right thing. You see a cute baby animal die and freak out and start accusing people of not "trying to save it".

Do you suggest they do the same with every baby animal in the wild that's been rejected by its herd? Do you know about brucellosis? Quarantines? The fact that bison are considered far too dangerous to keep as pets or captive animals? Would you rather they left the thing to get hit by a car or injure a person? Even if the facilities existed or the $$ was there to keep it in quarantine and keep it alive long enough to go to a "rescue" It would never survive in the wild after being had-raised and bison are huge, dangerous animals that aren't suited to captivity. They get sick, they die, or they end up hurting themselves or the misguided humans who think everything furry just needs love and food.

They likely would have left it to starve or be killed by predators (which is what happens 100% of the time when a baby bison is rejected by the herd) if it hadn't imprinted on humans and already started exhibiting dangerous behavior, but that's the fault of the idiots who put it in their car, not the Rangers who devote their WHOLE LIVES to the parks and the preservation of these animals.

I've spent a huge amount of time in our parks, studying the animals and the natural ecosystems, as an earth scientist and an outdoor enthusiast who comes from a long line of Rangers and forest service, and it pains me to read these armchair "I know better than the experts" comments coming from so many people. You don't. Respect their knowledge, experience, and decision-making. Stick to whatever it is you know about and let these deeply devoted folks do what they know.

YOU DON'T KNOW BETTER THAN THE WILDLIFE CONSERVATIONISTS, RANGERS, BIOLOGISTS, AND VETERINARIANS THAT MADE THE DECISION.

indeed.
It's hilarious to see accountants, postal workers, gas attendants, etc lecture wildlife professionals how to deal with wildlife.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 AM

3,905 posts, read 3,584,424 times
Quote:
Yes! But why didn't some one Bottle feed the calf or take it to a zoo. Why kill it? For that I blame the park rangers.
It's better publicity for the calf to end up dead because of those people's actions.

The death of the calf will stop other idiotic do-gooders.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:07 AM

4,148 posts, read 3,160,198 times
Last year I almost ended up in an altercation with a foreigner in Rocky Mountain NP.

Warning signs were clear not to wander off trail, into fragile alpine meadows. These fools started walking around off-trail, and even worse trying to take lure and even take photos of marmots.

Long story short, Rangers ended up dealing with them, and I am sure it was not a nice experience for these violators.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,598,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's better publicity for the calf to end up dead because of those people's actions.

The death of the calf will stop other idiotic do-gooders.
Nothing stops idiocy and I don t believe that's why the calf was euthanized.

Every single time I e been to Yellowstone, I've seen idiots risk their lives. A man staying in the park hotel I was shooed a bison away from his car in the hotel parking lot and was rewarded by being tossed over the car. Tourists trying to snap selfies with bison and bears.
People think "National Park" is somehow equivalent to Disney Land.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Nothing stops idiocy and I don t believe that's why the calf was euthanized.

Every single time I e been to Yellowstone, I've seen idiots risk their lives. A man staying in the park hotel I was shooed a bison away from his car in the hotel parking lot and was rewarded by being tossed over the car. Tourists trying to snap selfies with bison and bears.
People think "National Park" is somehow equivalent to Disney Land.
I agree!

Old 05-18-2016, 11:29 AM

Bison Trapping Practice Continues at Yellowstone

Get a Fancy Degree you get to Kill Hundreds of Wildlife in the name of Management! These are the same folks that Don't want Wolves to be re-introduce into the parks. Yes Folks Wolves Raised by Humans were Released back into the wild....back in the 1980s. But in 2000 they refused to allow more. Why cause it takes away the fun humans have when they go out a Kill off herds.

BTW that Fine they gave the Canadian for putting the calf in their car... a lousy $110

Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,598,791 times
Quote:
Bison Trapping Practice Continues at Yellowstone

Get a Fancy Degree you get to Kill Hundreds of Wildlife in the name of Management! These are the same folks that Don't want Wolves to be re-introduce into the parks. Yes Folks Wolves Raised by Humans were Released back into the wild....back in the 1980s. But in 2000 they refused to allow more. Why cause it takes away the fun humans have when they go out a Kill off herds.

BTW that Fine they gave the Canadian for putting the calf in their car... a lousy $110
What are you talking about?

I'm not seeing anything accurate here. Got some links from reputable sources?

Yellowstone wolves were live trapped from Canada. Scientists support reintroduction and culling is necessary for herd health in limited space. You need to stop reading kooky sources and being ruled by emotion.
https://www.hcn.org/articles/the-sci...nes-bison-cull

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2015/01/15...tion-observed/

I live in wolf country (where the Canadian wolves have been reintroduced) and it's the uneducated "big bad wolfers" who believed their childhood fairy tales, and the hunting and outfitting lobbies as well as the ranching lobby who are fighting to eradicate wolves again. The "fancy degreed" people are the ones with the science supporting reintroduction and not hunting the northern packs into oblivion.

Last edited by mistyriver; 05-18-2016 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or