U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 03:04 PM

521 posts, read 965,820 times

Advertisements

By "fancy degree," we apparently mean: nothing but a piece of paper.

I.e. they never did any clinical research, didn't use any scientific standards, didn't spend a significant amount of time actually studying wildlife, didn't document any animal behavior, never studied the work of people who've spent their entire lives in wildlife management, never proved or defended a scientific thesis, etc.

I suggest giving these folks a bit more credit than simply chalking up their professional opinion - one usually based not only on their own experience, but also on what has/has not worked in the past - to just the opinion of someone with a "fancy degree."

One thing I've seen to hold true: people who truly care about wildlife will let it be wild. That means they'll let nature take its course and function the way it did BEFORE we intruded upon it. Conversely, people who try to humanize wildlife - while they may have good intentions - are almost always a detriment to the species.

Also, anyone who thinks the National Park Service has the resources to capture, rehabilitate and then release every animal that's involved in a negative human encounter is grossly misinformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 04:40 PM

564 posts, read 296,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
One thing I've seen to hold true: people who truly care about wildlife will let it be wild. That means they'll let nature take its course and function the way it did BEFORE we intruded upon it. Conversely, people who try to humanize wildlife - while they may have good intentions - are almost always a detriment to the species.
x3. Again, a lot of Bambi syndrome.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:41 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,930,257 times
The people involved in wildlife rescue are happy to do it at their own expense just as they always have.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:59 PM

12,447 posts, read 31,523,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
x3. Again, a lot of Bambi syndrome.
Problem is Most people think its just fine & dandy to kill an animal for Any excuse. After all they are animals

Call me Bambi Lover all you want I Am & I am Proud of it

As for Experts knowing more How just a bunch od city slicker that think Milk comes out of a carton.
When I had my arm operated on 30+ years ago the Local Head Ranger offered to board my horse. Talked a good talk on how to feed & care for animals. The Only time in her life my horse Colic. & I almost lost her! I Walked out of the hospital Against Drs orders! When I got to the pasture she seemed fine my gf a Horse Trainer checked her over with a fine tooth comb. We went home I slowly got back to almost normal. I visited her daily bring her treats. Couple months later my son was with me as I was grooming my horse... he commented how skinny she was. 30 mins later the Ranger showed up to feed. He had 3-4 horses of his own my other gf Walker & App pony & my GH. He gave each a small coffee can of food just poured on the ground The ONLY ones that got any grain was 2 of his horses. The others Got NOTHING! The he took 1 bail of hay .. tossed it over the fence that was it!! I asked When he was coming back to finish feeding them. Not till morning that's ALL those horses got! Now I knew why my horse colic. She was starving! I went to the nearest pay phone mad 3 calls 1 to my vet to tell him what I saw.... 1 to my gf to come move my horse back home 3 to my other friend so she could find a new boarding place for her 2.
30 Days later that Chief Ranger when to JAIL for Cruelty to animals... & fined.
That what the Fancy Degree got him!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 PM

11,856 posts, read 15,511,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Problem is Most people think its just fine & dandy to kill an animal for Any excuse. After all they are animals

As for Experts knowing more How just a bunch od city slicker that think Milk comes out of a carton.
When I had my arm operated on 30+ years ago the Local Head Ranger offered to board my horse. Talked a good talk on how to feed & care for animals. The Only time in her life my horse Colic. & I almost lost her! I Walked out of the hospital Against Drs orders! When I got to the pasture she seemed fine my gf a Horse Trainer checked her over with a fine tooth comb. We went home I slowly got back to almost normal. I visited her daily bring her treats. Couple months later my son was with me as I was grooming my horse... he commented how skinny she was. 30 mins later the Ranger showed up to feed. He had 3-4 horses of his own my other gf Walker & App pony & my GH. He gave each a small coffee can of food just poured on the ground The ONLY ones that got any grain was 2 of his horses. The others Got NOTHING! The he took 1 bail of hay .. tossed it over the fence that was it!! I asked When he was coming back to finish feeding them. Not till morning that's ALL those horses got! Now I knew why my horse colic. She was starving! I went to the nearest pay phone mad 3 calls 1 to my vet to tell him what I saw.... 1 to my gf to come move my horse back home 3 to my other friend so she could find a new boarding place for her 2.
...and that has what to do with some idiot putting a wild bison calf in an SUV in a National Park and the biologists doing what they are trained to do?

Old 05-20-2016, 07:20 AM

521 posts, read 965,820 times
Quote:

Last time I checked, horses were not "wildlife" and animal husbandry was not a required course for any kind of natural resource management degree...

Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,162,025 times
Quote:

What do you do (or did) for a living? Whatever it is, I am sure I can find someone of same profession who 30 years ago was a felon.

Now, can I conclude that you are the same? I am sure you would vehemently reject that, and rightly so.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:23 PM

2,890 posts, read 4,206,090 times
Yes, it is called the Bambi syndrome, normally a wild animal will abandon their off spring if something is wrong with the new born, it is call survival of the fittest for a reason. To interfere with this balance of nature is to do more harm than any good that will come out it this. It is far better to just let the new born die and to become food within the food chain, that folks, is how nature works and nature can be far more cruel than you think.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:05 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,908,021 times
Quote:
...30 Days later that Chief Ranger when to JAIL for Cruelty to animals... & fined...
I doubt he could have even been reported and investigated within thirty days.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 PM

12,447 posts, read 31,523,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I doubt he could have even been reported and investigated within thirty days.
My gf Pony dies a week after I moved my horse. Vet report ... Starvation
Since I already reported him ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or