Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Okay...sorry if this is weird because I know that in many cases chipmunks are considered pests.

Regardless, I have one in my yard, but it is very shy. I try to leave peanuts, etc. out for it but I often see squirrels and birds getting the food before he does. It occurred to me that if I could find some kind of sturdy box or cage to put the food in with an entry too small for squirrels that might work.

However, I can't find anything by searching on "chipmunk" related terms. Has anyone seen or heard of such a thing or something similar that would do in a pinch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
try chicken wire

Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Maybe your squirrels are bigger Taxpayer, but down here ours go right through chicken wire, I know; I tried that for a different purpose.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 AM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
There seems to be times at my house where the chipmunks are active, but the other animals are not. If you can identify those times and put some nuts out then, that might help.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:59 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I like chipmunks. Can you find his hole-in-the-ground? Maybe you could put a few peanuts directly down there. We have a critter that lives below our bird feeders (not sure what, exactly, but the local cats are always watching that hole!). Sometimes, when I fill the feeders, seeds and nuts fall directly in the hole. I always picture the critter laying on his back, saying, "Ah. Now THAT'S the life". LOL

Old 05-19-2016, 05:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Thanks guys....I have found his hole and do put some nuts down there. I guess I'm a little greedy too because I'd like to entice him to come out more!

I'm thinking of something like a small bird feeder I can stand on the ground - maybe for wrens or finches with a really small hole that he can only fit through? Even if birds got in they'd be too small to eat the peanuts...squirrels definitely couldn't fit - he'd only be competing with mice?!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Thanks guys....I have found his hole and do put some nuts down there. I guess I'm a little greedy too because I'd like to entice him to come out more!

I'm thinking of something like a small bird feeder I can stand on the ground - maybe for wrens or finches with a really small hole that he can only fit through? Even if birds got in they'd be too small to eat the peanuts...squirrels definitely couldn't fit - he'd only be competing with mice?!
Be careful of attracting rats. Yuck.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Go to the thrift store and buy a small bird cage. The chippie will go through the bars. Birds can't. Squirrels will reach through the bars and pull out what they can reach, but they should not be able to reach all of it.

I second the warning about rats, mice, and other vermin who will be attracted to all that food you put out. Not to mention how badly it annoys your neighbors when you attract even more pests to the neighborhood. Those cute little furies that you lure in are at risk of death and poisoning next door because they are nuisance animals. You think you are doing good by feeding them, but actually, you put their lives at risk as well as turning them into welfare recipients.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:39 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Go to the thrift store and buy a small bird cage. The chippie will go through the bars. Birds can't. Squirrels will reach through the bars and pull out what they can reach, but they should not be able to reach all of it.

I second the warning about rats, mice, and other vermin who will be attracted to all that food you put out. Not to mention how badly it annoys your neighbors when you attract even more pests to the neighborhood. Those cute little furies that you lure in are at risk of death and poisoning next door because they are nuisance animals. You think you are doing good by feeding them, but actually, you put their lives at risk as well as turning them into welfare recipients.
good post

Old 05-19-2016, 09:55 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Maybe your squirrels are bigger Taxpayer, but down here ours go right through chicken wire, I know; I tried that for a different purpose.
They make different sized hole chicken wire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature