U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2016, 06:44 AM
 
474 posts, read 365,446 times
Reputation: 1442

Advertisements

Here is the link to the story.


'Hero' Dog Saves Owner From Bear Attack on Trail: 'I Never Run Without Him'








Its all well and good that the owner's dog lured the Mama bear away from his owner, but its not all well and good that "authorities" euthanized the mama bear. Its only natural for a mother bear, who thinks her cubs are threatened, to attack.
British Columbia is pretty vast and they could have transplanted her and her cubs to someplace where there wasn't any humans close by.
I guess somebody was in the mood for bear meat..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 AM
 
4,877 posts, read 6,592,050 times
Reputation: 4706
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
Here is the link to the story.


'Hero' Dog Saves Owner From Bear Attack on Trail: 'I Never Run Without Him'








Its all well and good that the owner's dog lured the Mama bear away from his owner, but its not all well and good that "authorities" euthanized the mama bear. Its only natural for a mother bear, who thinks her cubs are threatened, to attack.
British Columbia is pretty vast and they could have transplanted her and her cubs to someplace where there wasn't any humans close by.
I guess somebody was in the mood for bear meat..
It's more mama Grizzlies who attack when they perceive their cubs are threatened. Black bears can tree their cubs. When a black bear attacks it's more often a truly offensive attack rather than defense. You don't usually screw around with a black bear that attacks and continues to attack a human. They are seeing the human as food. They are plentiful and not endangered and relocating them is a gamble.

Canadian Wildlife Federation: Relocating Black Bears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 AM
TKO
 
Location: On the Border
2,939 posts, read 3,097,907 times
Reputation: 2440
It's misconception that many Americans have about black bears not being so dangerous. In truth most in the lower 48 are not much of a threat. But for some reason when you get up north their feeding habits change and they start to look at us as food. I've read that brown bear attacks are most likely the result of a sow protecting cubs or a bear being startled and that, up north at least, most black bear attacks on people are predation.

It's a great story though! Dogs are the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 AM
 
4,877 posts, read 6,592,050 times
Reputation: 4706
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
It's misconception that many Americans have about black bears not being so dangerous. In truth most in the lower 48 are not much of a threat. But for some reason when you get up north their feeding habits change and they start to look at us as food. I've read that brown bear attacks are most likely the result of a sow protecting cubs or a bear being startled and that, up north at least, most black bear attacks on people are predation.

It's a great story though! Dogs are the best.

i have a friend whose best friend was killed by a black bear. Any time a black bear is stalking or attacking a human..NEVER play dead. They are seeing you as food and will keep going. You fight like hell with a black bear.
They do attack and kill in the south too. I would bet it's a matter of bears who aren't people habituated and just see us as another form of prey. Thus more big uninhabited tracts of land, less human contact. Though there is also the issue of too much human habituation causing them to lose their wariness...

I've had a heck of a time in the past with unafraid black bears. Grizzlies here are much more mannerly in my neck of the woods. Till we started keeping Great Pyrenees. Then the black bears steered clear of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 09:12 AM
TKO
 
Location: On the Border
2,939 posts, read 3,097,907 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
i have a friend whose best friend was killed by a black bear. Any time a black bear is stalking or attacking a human..NEVER play dead. They are seeing you as food and will keep going. You fight like hell with a black bear.
They do attack and kill in the south too. I would bet it's a matter of bears who aren't people habituated and just see us as another form of prey. Thus more big uninhabited tracts of land, less human contact. Though there is also the issue of too much human habituation causing them to lose their wariness...

I've had a heck of a time in the past with unafraid black bears. Grizzlies here are much more mannerly in my neck of the woods. Till we started keeping Great Pyrenees. Then the black bears steered clear of us.
Good advice about not playing dead with a blackie. I realize they are not cuddly creatures down here, and can be very dangerous indeed - but they don't generally see us as food. Attacks in the lower 48 are almost always the same as brown bear attacks up there.

I think you nailed it on the cause, almost every black down here has had to run or hide from a human at some point I would guess.

They also have a lot more time in a year to put on their winter weight so maybe they're not quite so intent on it. I'd be surprised if all the black bears in NM hibernated every year. In the low country there would be little need for a male to den up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 AM
 
853 posts, read 1,222,673 times
Reputation: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
It's more mama Grizzlies who attack when they perceive their cubs are threatened. Black bears can tree their cubs. When a black bear attacks it's more often a truly offensive attack rather than defense. You don't usually screw around with a black bear that attacks and continues to attack a human. They are seeing the human as food. They are plentiful and not endangered and relocating them is a gamble.

Canadian Wildlife Federation: Relocating Black Bears
It's nice to see someone who understands the rationale behind why aggressive bears must be managed and sometimes that means euthanasia. I am very sorry to read what happened to your friend's friend. It is often young male bears that commit these attacks. For the general record (more addressing TKO's post), these predatory attacks can and do happen anywhere, but it is correct that British Columbia and other areas in the NW have had higher than normal numbers of these incidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM
TKO
 
Location: On the Border
2,939 posts, read 3,097,907 times
Reputation: 2440
Of course you're right. Interesting article on the ADN site about studies they've done regarding black bear on human predation. It would be interesting to look at non fatal attacks too.

Quote:
(1900-2010) Of the total fatalities, five occurred in Alaska and 44 in Canada, with only 14 spread among the Lower 48 states -- including several states with thousands of black bears and millions of residents.

...

We speculate that many black bears in Canada and Alaska had less contact with people because the human population is about 10 percent of the population in the Lower 48 states. Most black bear populations in Canada had far less hunting pressure. Also many black bears in Canada or Alaska existed in less productive and less diverse habitat with periodic food stress, perhaps predisposing some bears to consider people as prey. All, some, or none of the foregoing factors may have contributed to the greater proportion of fatal attacks in Canada and Alaska versus the Lower 48 states.

...

"Given the strength and opportunistic predation by black bears one can ask why bears do not prey on people more often," they wrote. "Part of the answer may be that bears that try to or do prey on people are usually killed and removed from a population's gene pool, decreasing the frequency of any genes the individual might have had that could contribute to predatory attacks on people."
- more at link

Lone, predatory black bears responsible for most human attacks - Alaska Dispatch News

Last edited by TKO; 05-23-2016 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 11:47 AM
 
Location: US
243 posts, read 148,940 times
Reputation: 660
You just can't do better for a friend than a good dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 12:00 PM
 
4,877 posts, read 6,592,050 times
Reputation: 4706
I do hate to see a bear destroyed unnecessarily. When we had problems with a particular large male black bear, whole our LGD's were still pups, we got hold of some rubber slugs to sting enough on his backside to have him associate humans with pain but no real injury. It worked perfectly.

We live in far northern Idaho, about 30 miles from the BC border More or less as the crow flies over the Selkirks. Close enough to almost be out of the lower 48.

I was really unhappy to see a young grizzly male destroyed after it woofed at a couple of hunters cooking in the woods. It had already passed thru my place with no problems. We have a few people who fancy themselves wildlife photographers and bait bears and other wildlife in so they can take pictures and they had already habituated that particular bear. Most Grizzlies leave people alone.


You shouldn't even have bird feeders out if you live in bear country until they've denned in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 02:09 PM
 
1,558 posts, read 774,567 times
Reputation: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
i have a friend whose best friend was killed by a black bear. Any time a black bear is stalking or attacking a human..NEVER play dead. They are seeing you as food and will keep going. You fight like hell with a black bear.
Just learned something new, I always thought "play dead" applied to all bear attacks.

Anyway, I am sorry the mother bear was killed, I wonder if the attack could have been avoided if the guy had carried bear spray. It would seem to me being sprayed with that would make a bear weary of humans and try to avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top