Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:12 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Over the weekend I was doing some work around the house and all of a sudden I just started hearing this really loud "buzzzzz-ing" noise. So I look up and I see what had to have been at least 10,000 bees swarming in the air directly above me, all over the place!

Growing up I was always deathly afraid of bees, and they still make me squirmish to this day, but given what I was doing was time sensitive, I couldn't exactly just run away ( if I could have, I would have }... But I was amazed, they didn't bother me at all. Not one of them tried to land on me or pester me. It was truly something to behold.

They started building up heavily on the side of my house, and I saw that they were entering a hole in my siding. After doing some research, I have decided to let them stay, so long as they don't start coming IN the house. I can walk right up within feet of their nest and watch them go in and out and they don't bother with me at all. They are friendly little buggers, and given that they perform such a vital function in nature, I'm not inclined to exterminate them.

Really cool. Anyone else ever witnessed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 03:31 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I don't think it's a good idea at all to let them stay under your siding. A bees nest generates a lot of heat and you will end up with a moisture problem and stains on your interior walls from the honey. Dead bees and the smell of honey from the hive will attract rodents and bugs.

Bears love honey. If you live in an area with bears, you could come home to a hole in the side of your house.

Leaving them can also be very dangerous. If they sense danger or are irritated, they will attack to protect their hive. Some people are so allergic to bees that they will die if stung just ONCE.

Call a beekeeper to come and extract the hive alive. You need to hire professionals who know what they are doing and not just someone who will spray and kill them.

Remember this: We NEED bees for pollination.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't think it's a good idea at all to let them stay under your siding. A bees nest generates a lot of heat and you will end up with a moisture problem and stains on your interior walls from the honey. Dead bees and the smell of honey from the hive will attract rodents and bugs.

Bears love honey. If you live in an area with bears, you could come home to a hole in the side of your house.

Leaving them can also be very dangerous. If they sense danger or are irritated, they will attack to protect their hive. Some people are so allergic to bees that they will die if stung just ONCE.

Call a beekeeper to come and extract the hive alive. You need to hire professionals who know what they are doing and not just someone who will spray and kill them.

Remember this: We NEED bees for pollination.

Very legitimate points to consider. Thanks for the input.

I know there is a beekeeping group in my area. I'll contact them for further guidance....

(P.S. bears aren't an issue in my neck of the woods )

Old 06-01-2016, 02:09 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Bears are Not a Problem NOW but once they smell the Honey they will come. Bees are outside Now but once they find a hole they will be Inside. Bees Swarming Don't sting! Once they make themselves at home they Will to defend it.

Removing Honey Bee Swarms and Established Hives Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Old 06-01-2016, 03:52 PM

126,277 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Many years ago I was gardening in my front yard and started watering when I noticed lots of bees buzzing,circling and eventually settling down at the edge of my nearby tall hedge.They formed a long hive to protect the queen.I could smell the honey from the the distance.I knew I had to call our local beekeeper.He came the very same day I think and brought a big box where he put the hive in.He told me he would be back in 3 days by that time the rest of the worker bees would have settled in the box.As a thank you we got for a year free wild honey from him. I tell you this experience to witness these wild honey bees was just amazing

Old 06-01-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Bears are Not a Problem NOW but once they smell the Honey they will come. Bees are outside Now but once they find a hole they will be Inside. Bees Swarming Don't sting! Once they make themselves at home they Will to defend it.

Removing Honey Bee Swarms and Established Hives Management Guidelines--UC IPM
I say bears aren't a problem in my neck of the woods because there aren't any.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
BAD idea to let them build a hive on your house. Bee hives are heavy and can, over time, grow to weigh hundreds of pounds. You'll have honey dripping between the walls. Bees aren't "friendly" if they think the queen is being threatened. They WILL go into your house at some point. (Bees are foragers. They will forage in your bedroom because they don't know it's your bedroom and not a garden.) Your neighbors could have bee sting allergies. (Which can kill.)

Call a bee removal service. Or a beekeeper. They'll smoke out the hive, find the queen and relocate her to a better spot. The rest of the bees will follow her.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:15 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
As noted above, it is a horrible idea just to let them be (no pun intended). They will ruin your house.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
It would certainly be a really bad idea down here where honey bees are partially Africanized. Ten years ago I discovered bees had been entering some loose boards in the rear of a storage building on some property we owned. I had decided earlier to leave them alone since they had already built a significant nest in some old tires and they had never bothered anyone. That all changed one day while I was mowing several yards away from the barn and a bee flew up my nose and stung me. Several of the other bees then chased me all the way back to the house, about 60 yards.

I finally was able to get rid of the bees by waiting until a winter day when the air temperatures had been in the teens for a lengthy period. The bees had completely filled three old tires with honey and comb. Even at the low air temperatures, several bees came out of the broken interior of the nest to try and attack me as I tore the structure down. It literally took a crow bar to break the tires loose from the wall.

I contacted our county agricultural agent who had told me about the Texas South Plains bees being partially Africanized so if you happen to ever see the attached picture in USDA literature, I gave it to them.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 07-07-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 11:13 PM

11 posts, read 11,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Anyone else ever witnessed this?
No, thankfully!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature