U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:39 AM

464 posts, read 301,806 times

Advertisements

I think I have a snapping turtle laying eggs in our front flowerbed. While its kind of making a mess, I don't really mind, but what will happen as the weeks go by? Does the parent stay with the nest? How long before the babies hatch, and do they stay with the nest?

I'm in central New Hampshire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 04:46 AM

2,204 posts, read 1,166,930 times
Very cool! She lays her eggs, and then skidaddles. When the eggs hatch the babies are on their own. Not many will make it back to the safety of the water tho.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Very cool! She lays her eggs, and then skidaddles. When the eggs hatch the babies are on their own. Not many will make it back to the safety of the water tho.
OK good info.

So I've been watching the turtle now for a while, it is just digging holes, and then moving on and digging another one. I haven't actually seen any eggs being laid yet.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:26 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,603,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
OK good info.

So I've been watching the turtle now for a while, it is just digging holes, and then moving on and digging another one. I haven't actually seen any eggs being laid yet.
That's not unusual. Some do that until they find just the "right spot" to lay their eggs. Last year I saw a female urinating on the site before starting to dig the nest. This was at a nature facility in an area where the ground was a little hard. After she moistened things up, she dug up the nest and laid the eggs, covered it up, and left.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:28 AM

I kept an eye on the turtle, and after a while, she went around to the backyard, stopped in a few spots, and then moved out of my yard. None of the holes she dug in the flowerbed were covered up, and I carefully examined them for eggs, and saw none. I'm guessing she didn't find the perfect spot. Oh well, it was cool to see none the less!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,603,943 times
Nice pics. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:23 AM

9,551 posts, read 10,296,142 times
IIRC, the eggs hatch in August. I think. The babies dig their way up from the nest, and start the trek back to the pond/lake that the mom came out of. Not many make it, and to be honest, most nests are usually raided before they hatch by predators, so if mom succeeded in laying eggs, you'll find out in the next few months if you see something else digging up the same spots.

I've seen babies taken by foxes, coyotes, hawks and anything else looking out for a meal. Car tires also take out a number of them.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 AM

853 posts, read 1,222,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
OK good info.

She's likely digging what are called false nests. Nest predation is a significant threat to turtles. Raccoons, skunks, foxes, etc, will all dig up the nests and eat the eggs. If you keep a keen eye while out in the woods, you'll see dug up turtle nests with egg shell fragments around them in certain habitats. The mother turtle's strategy of digging false nests is to create some digs with her scent to confuse predators, making it less likely that they'll find the actual nest.

Although considered common, the numbers of snapping turtles is declining along with numbers in other turtle populations. This is most attributed to habitat loss, but habitat fragmentation by roads is also a major concern, as the female turtles, when gravid, will make their egg-laying journeys across these roads and many times will die on them. Since turtles take quite a few years to reach sexual maturity, the loss of just a few females can negatively impact turtle populations for good.

Completely up to you, but I'm sharing with you an idea that I had in case you come across freshly laid turtle nests; I have thought about getting some household ammonia and putting it around the nest if I find a fresh one. This would throw off the scent of the turtle to predators and would likely mimic the scent of urine to a predator-making it less likely that they'd bother the nest. I've also considered getting the predator urine that they sell at garden centers in locations where I know that box turtles lay eggs. Skunks, raccoons and foxes have to eat too, but in the case of an endangered or threatened turtle, I have considered trying to give it an edge. I have yet to actually do it.

I also know people who have found dead female turtles on the road and successfully hatched the eggs-I haven't done so, but it's interesting to hear about!

Old 06-06-2016, 01:48 PM

16,017 posts, read 19,661,658 times
Wow, that is good sized.....could take a finger off easily.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:32 PM

11,810 posts, read 8,233,613 times
That is a snapping turtle. They are really cool to see, (from a distance) they are like prehistoric creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature