U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 PM

4,932 posts, read 2,274,474 times

Advertisements

...well, not so much a theory as "musings":

There have been alot of theories regarding the possible dangers of Artificial Intelligence. Typically, these theories describe the potential development of human-like robots who "evolve" into entities capable of free-will, with intelligence superior to humans.

Given what we (think we) know about the evolutionary process, I have started to wonder if the opposite may occur; that human physical & neurological features may begin mutating into more computer-compatible assets.

The movie WALL-E had a funny scene depicting obese humans with much decreased bone density but I was wondering if it could start on a much smaller scale, such as aspects involving eyesight & cognitive function.

Or, maybe I am missing something huge that needs consideration! It's okay if I've inspired a laugh or two; I'm not a scientist for sure (just a housewife from Colorado)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 02:47 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
The way technology is taking over every aspect of our lives a point may be reached in the future where Artificial intelligence may evolve to a point whereby humans become irrelevant.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:35 PM

4,932 posts, read 2,274,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The way technology is taking over every aspect of our lives a point may be reached in the future where Artificial intelligence may evolve to a point whereby humans become irrelevant.
I agree to a certain extent.

I feel as though we humans historically both underestimate & overestimate ourselves.

We have arrived at the top of the food chain despite our individual lack of physical prowress; cognitive ability has outdone muscular strength, teeth & claws.

Yet every time we meddle with natural selection (eugenics) we manage to turn it into a giant fiasco.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:49 PM

3,683 posts, read 5,845,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yet every time we meddle with natural selection (eugenics) we manage to turn it into a giant fiasco.
Eugenics: the elimination of undesirable traits from and the addition of desirable traits to the human genome.

Only in the politically correct Western World are we taught that this is bad.

That's why China, where the exact opposite is believed, is going to leave the West behind. They are the world leader in human genome research in regards to human intelligence and Eugenics.

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/23838

Old 06-30-2016, 04:58 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,891,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
...That's why China, where the exact opposite is believed, is going to leave the West behind...
Only if you believe engineering humans is the proper approach. The next step is to test the embryo to make sure it's the make/model you expected. If not, toss that one and try again.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:03 PM

1,284 posts, read 898,203 times
Some people wonder if we've perhaps been visited by aliens, or greys, those from others dimensions.

My belief is that they've seen us here on this planet and that they do not wish to have anything to do with us.

Many of us believe that we are technologically advanced and savvy. But are we, really?

We are as backward as they come here. I don't consider Earth to be "The Warrior Planet" for nothing.

Too much strife here.

Advanced societies/clans want no part of it. I don't blame them.

Last edited by daynet; 07-02-2016 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or