Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:37 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times

Advertisements

I hope so it is a waste of $$$$$$$$$$$ and killing all our birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 09:31 AM

776 posts, read 580,418 times
1. What other renewable energy resources are good? I'm 100% confused by eco-people who don't like wind.
...Solar doesn't create as much energy/area as wind, so you have more of an eye soar(pun intended) and more deforestation.
...Hydroelectric dams up rivers, messing up fish breading and clean travel.
...Geothermal is usually implemented deep, causing a large area to be destroyed for construction.
...Tidal-electric messes with the sea life and is very expensive.

2. I like wind and hope Trump continues it. I only hope they are more logical on placement. I feel the Obama administration was so eager to throw these things up, they didn't look as to where the most productive place was when they enacted the subsides.

3. I really don't think taking down wind turbines are going to save all that much wild like. People continue to hit birds with their cars and planes, which are only increasing. Furthermore, the environmental factors will probably be their end anyways.
Freak accident on highway results in this ... - CNN Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkuo7-sefEQ
https://www.fws.gov/midwest/Eagle/re.../biologue.html

Old 11-10-2016, 09:44 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
I like the way windmills look. I'm pro-windmill.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Why would Trump need wind power? Isn't he already full of it?

Old 11-10-2016, 10:31 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I sure hope so. It could be a bright spot in the Trumpocalypse. As ignorant as his views on climate change are, I see some hope for the scenic integrity of nature in a Trump presidency. It's based on his fight against offshore wind turbines near his golf course in Aberdeen, Scotland. He lost that particular round but if he wasn't just against them in that case, he ought to continue such actions.
I think he'll be too busy with locking Hillary up, repealing Obamacare, pushing huge tax cuts for the top 1% through, and privatizing Social Security, to deal with wind power. He does want to increase drilling.

But I doubt he'll mess with Texas. That's where the main wind power is. It's owned in large part by T Boone Pickens, who is a Trump supporter.

Sorry, but your bubble seems to have burst. Personally, I like the way the windmills look. But I don't live by them, so.... I HAVE in the past lived by chemical and refinery plants. Let me tell you, you don't know ugly and smelly and environmental ruining until you've lived near these plants. Windmills would be much preferred. We HAVE to have energy. No energy source is perfect. It's a matter of which works best and which is less harmful environmentally and to wildlife.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:45 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The wind industry should be taxed and regulated just as the oil and coal industries are. If the wind industry received no subsidies, you would also see a lot less interest in it. They need to be able to stand on their own.

It's simply a case of "follow the dollar." Government subsidies are very likely the thing that will change under the new administration. We can only hope.
Better still to eliminate all manner of governmental influence in the production of energy by any means. The "aesthetic" whining about wind turbines by supposed environmental activists merely illustrates the contradictions and lack of understanding of (and respect for) the laws of economics within their ranks.

Let the markets rule!

Old 11-10-2016, 05:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
IF Birds are getting hurt or dying they need to put wire cages on them.... like the fans in your home... Covered for safety!

Old 11-11-2016, 03:23 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Wind turbines can only be used in areas were wind is usually strong, so if you dot the land with these you may be 10% of the electricity the people need ...... Then with burning coal comes with pollution like acid rain and there are health hazards like asthma , and impurity which lead to cancer in people ............The solar also may only come up with 10% of your needs of electricity in solar farms .... Then there is nuclear generators plants but the waste will be the only issue which can last for thousand of years .... There is also the Tesla generators which generate free electricity with magnets but have only been used in small scale ...........See California is strong in development of other form of power Other than carbon based , and will influence Trump with the works

Old 11-11-2016, 06:22 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
They beat digging up the earth for Coal. Cheap Electric IMO
Explain to us how much energy it takes to build and install on of these visual monstrosities!

Old 11-11-2016, 08:00 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Explain to us how much energy it takes to build and install on of these visual monstrosities!
Are you really insinuating that it takes more energy to install a windmill once than it does to blast, dig, and haul coal every day? Are you SERIOUSLY advocating for coal over wind?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature