Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 03:58 PM

776 posts, read 580,074 times

Advertisements

Going off of science, I think every animal in the future will get smaller, while birds get larger. I was once told one the reasons for the dinosaurs enormous size was that the atmosphere was a lot less dense in the Mesozoic era. With the recent burning of fossil fuels, we are adding more pressure to the atmosphere. With that information in mind all animals will continue to get smaller. On the other hand, I imagine it would be easier for birds to use lift. Therefore, by the way of evolution, the birds would either have to get stronger and/or grow larger wings to compensate. In the event we don't kill all wildlife in the future, and it was to normally progress. I imagine that the next 'changing of the guards', like when the reptiles replaces amphibians, birds will have the upper hand. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 05:32 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
I think in general all animals will grow smaller, or all the large ones will die off, since humans have a tendency to kill the largest animals. It can already be seen deers where the antler sizes have been decreasing since deers with the largest antlers get killed first by hunters. Also wildlife territory is shrinking so large animals won't have enough land to thrive unless they are able to share it in a developed landscape. The only animals to survive will be those that are small enough to hide, or those that reproduce at high rates. Generally large animals can't do either. So I don't really think that increasing air pressure will make animals smaller, but our hunting habits and shrinking/changing habitats might. One thing that global warming can do is that smaller animals tend to be more adaptable where are as megafauna are much more niche based, so the increased stress on habitats might kill off megafauna at a higher rate than smaller animals. Also birds have been evolving smaller wings to avoid cars.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...vive-on-roads/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature