Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:34 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,915,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

That little girl is too young and lacking in knowledge to realize that she should have a care. Her parents are negligent fools for risking her life. If the python suddenly decides to turn on the child, even with the parents in immediate attendance they aren't strong enough and wouldn't stand a chance of getting it off her before it crushes her to death within a matter of seconds.

It doesn't take "seconds" to kill someone, for Pete's sake. And the parents could easily kill the snake should it be necessary. If the snake is well fed and relaxed, its not going to bother anyone, hence what you see in the video. Just because you don't understand snakes, doesn't meant her parents are "negligent fools". Did you call Steve Irwin that for keeping his daughter Bindi around potentially dangerous creatures, too? Those that are well-versed in the ways of a certain animal know the limits and limitations of keeping such animals.

What you need to be worried about are the dogs in your neighborhood. Dogs kill more people than any other domesticated animal by a long shot. Oh, I forgot... dogs are cute and furry, therefore get a special pass even if they maim and kill dozens of people annually, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 02:35 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,881,934 times
girl probably has a blade hidden in the seat cushion and if the snake tries anything funny she could cut it's head off with a flick of the wrist, not a problem

Old 09-05-2017, 05:46 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,774,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
It doesn't take "seconds" to kill someone, for Pete's sake. And the parents could easily kill the snake should it be necessary. If the snake is well fed and relaxed, its not going to bother anyone, hence what you see in the video. Just because you don't understand snakes, doesn't meant her parents are "negligent fools". Did you call Steve Irwin that for keeping his daughter Bindi around potentially dangerous creatures, too? Those that are well-versed in the ways of a certain animal know the limits and limitations of keeping such animals.

What you need to be worried about are the dogs in your neighborhood. Dogs kill more people than any other domesticated animal by a long shot. Oh, I forgot... dogs are cute and furry, therefore get a special pass even if they maim and kill dozens of people annually, right?

Wrong. You make incorrect assumptions. Let me assume too ...... I'll guess you're a snake keeper, right?

Not to worry, I'm more than familiar enough with snakes and their habits and I know what the constrictors are capable of. The two boys in the Maritimes who were crushed and asphyxiated to death while they slept together in their bed were quickly killed in less than a minute by an escaped pet constrictor that was also well fed and relaxed. It didn't try to eat them, just killed them. Perhaps you should inform their parents that well fed, relaxed snakes don't bother anyone and their grief over the loss of their boys is all out of proportion.

Steve Irwin? ..... (may he rest in peace) ..... I loved his shows but I don't think he's a good example of someone who didn't take risks. That's the Australian fellow who took a lot of unreasonable risks to himself and often when he had his daughter close by with him. Do you recall the episode with the crocodile and his little daughter? I do and I thought him risking his daughter was foolish. And look how his risk taking paid off. Irwin was killed 11 years ago because he took the risk of getting too close and being pierced straight through the chest and directly into the heart with a stingray barb from a "peaceful, docile" stingray that he was filming. Sad but ironic. I've often wondered how that stingray knew to aim its barb exactly at Irwin's heart.

I agree with you about dogs being dangerous (all animals are dangerous in their own ways). I do not believe that vicious dogs should get a free pass for their transgressions just because dogs are considered man's best friend ....... and I have the empty cartridges to prove what my responses have been to vicious dogs even if they were considered "cute".

Old 09-06-2017, 10:11 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,915,402 times
Quote:
Wrong. You make incorrect assumptions. Let me assume too ...... I'll guess you're a snake keeper, right?

Not to worry, I'm more than familiar enough with snakes and their habits and I know what the constrictors are capable of. The two boys in the Maritimes who were crushed and asphyxiated to death while they slept together in their bed were quickly killed in less than a minute by an escaped pet constrictor that was also well fed and relaxed. It didn't try to eat them, just killed them. Perhaps you should inform their parents that well fed, relaxed snakes don't bother anyone and their grief over the loss of their boys is all out of proportion.

Steve Irwin? ..... (may he rest in peace) ..... I loved his shows but I don't think he's a good example of someone who didn't take risks. That's the Australian fellow who took a lot of unreasonable risks to himself and often when he had his daughter close by with him. Do you recall the episode with the crocodile and his little daughter? I do and I thought him risking his daughter was foolish. And look how his risk taking paid off. Irwin was killed 11 years ago because he took the risk of getting too close and being pierced straight through the chest and directly into the heart with a stingray barb from a "peaceful, docile" stingray that he was filming. Sad but ironic. I've often wondered how that stingray knew to aim its barb exactly at Irwin's heart.

I agree with you about dogs being dangerous (all animals are dangerous in their own ways). I do not believe that vicious dogs should get a free pass for their transgressions just because dogs are considered man's best friend ....... and I have the empty cartridges to prove what my responses have been to vicious dogs even if they were considered "cute".

I just gotta ask... were the parents there watching their boys get killed while timing it, too? It takes quite a while for prey to suffocate, including humans. Ive been around many constrictors and have never seen one kill just to kill. Bite? Yes, definitely? Suffocate to not consume? Never. Something weird happened in that particular case, sadly.

Steve Irwin's death was extraordinary. Notice how his passing was at the hands of an animal he never really worked with? Notice how it wasn't death by croc? That's because his main love in life was crocs, and he knew them inside and out, like the back of his hand. That's what I was trying to get at.

I'm in agreement about vicious dogs. If one steps on my property and acts aggressive towards my family, its gonna leave my yard in pieces. I don't care who it belongs to, but dogs get off too easily just because they're dogs.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,774,103 times
Quote:
I just gotta ask... were the parents there watching their boys get killed while timing it, too? It takes quite a while for prey to suffocate, including humans. Ive been around many constrictors and have never seen one kill just to kill. Bite? Yes, definitely? Suffocate to not consume? Never. Something weird happened in that particular case, sadly.......

The adults were not present in the room but discovered the dead boys with the snake shortly after the boys went to bed in the living room. It was a big snake (see article below). Later coroner and medical reports confirmed the boys were killed by being crushed together into nearly unrecognizable jellied pulps and that death was pretty much instantaneous. It takes less than a minute to die by massive crushing and less than 3 minutes to die by suffocation alone. Combine the two actions and being crushed into a pulp it was estimated and later reported that the two boys were dead in less than one minute. You are right that something weird happened.

Here is the initial news report released right after it happened, in case you want to follow through on your own about further medical and court room findings about this horrific incident.

Python killing of 2 New Brunswick boys baffles experts - Canada - CBC News

Old 09-09-2017, 11:19 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,645,194 times
Quote:

That little girl is too young and lacking in knowledge to realize that she should have a care. Her parents are negligent fools for risking her life. If the python suddenly decides to turn on the child, even with the parents in immediate attendance they aren't strong enough and wouldn't stand a chance of getting it off her before it crushes her to death within a matter of seconds.

The same can be said for all of those people who post pictures of their dogs with their babies. Dog could snap and kill an infant in an instant.

But because most of us have experience with dogs, and the low risk, this is one we are willing to take. Snakes that are hand raised and well fed are no more likely to randomly attack than a dog. Would we all be freaking out to the same degree if she was lying with a 150lb dog? Probably not.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:23 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,850,198 times
Quote:
It doesn't take "seconds" to kill someone, for Pete's sake. And the parents could easily kill the snake should it be necessary.

I'll preface this by saying: I'm definitely in the "ignorant about snakes" category. So maybe you'll give me more info but as it stands, this is what I'm thinking:

You have to realize that "the parents could easily kill the snake should it be necessary" is a little crazy. So if something did happen... then no sweat, the parents can just stab it to death while it's wound around their daughter?? or cut it's head off. or bludgen it to death, or whatever it is you do to kill a snake. What in the hell...?? No, that wouldn't be traumatic at all for the little tot. And she would be perfectly safe and at ease while all of this were happening.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I'll preface this by saying: I'm definitely in the "ignorant about snakes" category. So maybe you'll give me more info but as it stands, this is what I'm thinking:

You have to realize that "the parents could easily kill the snake should it be necessary" is a little crazy. So if something did happen... then no sweat, the parents can just stab it to death while it's wound around their daughter?? or cut it's head off. or bludgen it to death, or whatever it is you do to kill a snake. What in the hell...?? No, that wouldn't be traumatic at all for the little tot. And she would be perfectly safe and at ease while all of this were happening.
Do you own dogs? I do. I do despite the fact that I know dogs injury and kill people including infants and children every year. People have had to kill dogs, sometimes their own dogs, to get them off of children as well. Owning animals particularly in a home with children is a risk many of us take because we believe we get enough out of that ownership to make hat risk worthwhile but snakes are not some unique subset of animals that they are the only one with risk, in fact even if you control for the fact that there are far more dogs, owners of dogs are much more likely to need medical care for an injury caused by their pet than snake owners are.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times
Very dangerous situation to leave the child in.it would probably take less than a minute for that snake to squeeze the life out of the little girl.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 AM

This is an adorable video of a little girl climbing all over a very large dog. Little Girl. Big Dog. Massive Cuteness. | HuffPost

But dogs are predators, the same way snakes are. The dog in the video could have "snapped" and killed that child before her mother could have put down the camera. But that is highly unlikely. Animals rarely "snap" and that dog was displaying very calm body language, showing no signs of stress (no whale eye or licking of air) and the child was likely "safe".

The same can be said of snakes, they are also predatory animals but rarely snap. That snake was not showing any signs of stress (no tight coils on body or strike position of neck) and as it turns out that little girl was safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature