Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 03:34 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times

Advertisements

If I was out walking and a big Bear or Lion was near by, I think I'd be da*n afraid. I'm sure they could tear me to shreds if they wanted to.

On a smaller level, I don't like cockroaches. They creep me out pretty bad. In Florida, I'd yell for my husband to come get it out of my sight, those flying ones, palmetto bugs. Once in a while one would get in through the fireplace. Big spiders-- not fond of them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 03:54 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
I would not want to run across this if it was real hungry. Reminds me our commander in chief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4r7wHMg5Yjg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
If I was out walking and a big Bear or Lion was near by, I think I'd be da*n afraid. I'm sure they could tear me to shreds if they wanted to.

On a smaller level, I don't like cockroaches. They creep me out pretty bad. In Florida, I'd yell for my husband to come get it out of my sight, those flying ones, palmetto bugs. Once in a while one would get in through the fireplace. Big spiders-- not fond of them either.

I've had a bear nearby...wasn't as frightened as I thought I'd be....just made noise and he ran off.

Yes palmetto bugs are horrid...so big!

Old 06-23-2018, 05:20 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Ticks - because of lyme and other new permanently debilitating diseases they can give you.

Bring on the Deet Spray and netted clothing for hiking (nylons under shorts and netted socks, netted jacket with hood if deep woods). I would rather look like a freak/weirdo in the woods to passer-by strangers that have no idea who I am than take a chance with lyme.
Ticks are certainly a reasonable beastie to be cautious of.

I've had Lyme and unfortunately it was back when it was not really well-known, especially in Upstate NY. I never did get the bullseye rash with it so it was not recognized as Lyme for quite a long time. I have lasting damage from it .

I used to go and spend hours in the woods but I am very cautious now and cover up like a nun when I go in there. It seems like ticks are EVERYWHERE now

Picked several off me a week ago

I'm not fond at all of the mutant flying cockroachs in SC ("palmetto bugs") or centipedes but ticks are probably the ones that I actually fear. Palmetto bugs and centipedes have a huge ick factor but ticks can do some real damage with the nasty illnesses they can carry.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
I am afraid of the non native reptiles that I could run into unexpectedly.

I wouldn’t be completely shocked to see a python while hiking down here in South Florida.

Stuff like Nile monitors or bushmasters or black mambas that some fool could have let loose- that scares me.

I’m sure it would be really tough to get antivenin for those two snakes , and it would probably be tough to get someone to believe that’s what bit you if it skeedaddles.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:57 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I am afraid of the non native reptiles that I could run into unexpectedly.

I wouldn’t be completely shocked to see a python while hiking down here in South Florida.

Stuff like Nile monitors or bushmasters or black mambas that some fool could have let loose- that scares me.

I’m sure it would be really tough to get antivenin for those two snakes , and it would probably be tough to get someone to believe that’s what bit you if it skeedaddles.

I'd be afraid of alligators if I were you....

Old 06-23-2018, 08:10 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
The ones that would truly terrify me if I encountered them in the wild are packs of spotted hyenas, African/Asiatic wild dogs, and wolves. The reason for this is that they tend to eat their prey alive, which to me is the most horrific way of dying.

I would much rather fall victim to a big cat, where one is likely to be swiftly killed by suffocation. Even a Nile crocodile would be preferable since I would be more likely to die by drowning before being ripped apart. Similarly, with large snakes, suffocation would likely be the primary cause of death.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
black mambas

Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 PM

98 posts, read 198,175 times
Big black carpenter bees, Always been freaked out by them since I was kid; not so much now though. They don't have stingers but they are big and have a loud buzz.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'd be afraid of alligators if I were you....
Well yeah, but I’m prepared for them. And cottonmouths, etc.

Hundreds of miles of hiking every year will teach you what to expect from the regular critters.

I’ve never had a bad experience with a feral hog. I do still get a bit queasy when I see one.

I will add coyotes as I have no experience with them and I’ve heard stories. I did have a frightening encounter with a pack of dogs that were wandering around.

I wasn’t hurt, but I unfortunately saw what they did to a stray cat. Realizing there was nothing I could do to help was unbearably heartbreaking.

That pack mentality was something to see.

I’ve seen black bears and cubs several times. The first time was a little odd. Momma stood up on her hind legs and sniffed in my direction, then she and the cubs ran away. She did walk parallel to me for a while before that, maybe a hundred feet away. I was on the trail and she was on an incline. I remember seeing the tops of her paws as she walked. She never even looked at me.

Outside of Florida - yikes. Grizzlies, mountain lions ...

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 06-24-2018 at 05:41 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 09:06 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post

I have read that Palmetto Bugs and Cockroaches are definitely the same insect whether they be in TX, .
LA or FL.................I'm to lazy to look 'em up on Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature