Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:35 PM

34,789 posts, read 16,804,927 times

Advertisements

1. Deer
  2. Coyotes
  3. Bears (well not abound but have been found on golf courses)
  4. Opossums
  5. Skunks
  6. Raccoons
  7. Turkeys
  8. Canid that's about 97% wolf by chromosomes; I just petted one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 10:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,179,131 times
Deer lots and lots of them
Elk
Skunk
Opossum
Bear
Coyotes
Wolves
Osprey

Old 10-03-2017, 02:07 AM

7,189 posts, read 5,047,258 times
I moved to rural WI a year ago, so we have an abundance of the wild life found in the typical mid-west oak/hickory climax forest. We've seen more than 40 species of birds on our property, from the common sparrows to wild turkey, sandhill cranes, bald eagles and black billed cuckoo. It's thrilling to see bright red cardinals, brilliant orange Balt. orioles and Gold Finches all jockeying for position at the feeders at the same time.

Plenty of snakes, frogs & toads- I'm amazed how the frogs & toads found the little puddle I dug to develop a spring 400 yds up a 30% grade from the nearest stream to lay their eggs.

No bears near here, but wolves were reported to have taken a calve in our county last year and neighbors have spotted at least two mountain lions, wandering loners no doubt, in recent years.

It's common to see as many as 12 turkey vultures soaring over head at the same time (are they just playing, riding the up-drafts from our hills, or are they keeping an eye on me, now that I'm getting a little older?)

I moved from suburban Chicago where we were located just 6 miles from Midway Airport adjacent to the Forest Preserve. It was not unusual to see complacent coyotes meandering down our street and deer often walked up to the bedroom window like it was the BurgerKing drive-up. I would trap about 2 dozen 'coons & skunks each year in my barn (2/3rd acre mini-farm with 2 horses, 20 chickens & a Juliana pig) and re-locate them to the forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

We'd do the same thing with rainbows and pretty sunsets. We were an appreciative group.
I like that comment. "Appreciation" is the key to enjoying Nature and trying to preserve it. Many of us try to preserve it by gardening, restoring habitat, etc, but maybe we can do even more good by trying to cultivate "appreciation" in others.

I like to compare rainbows to the concept of "God." A group of people can all point to "the same" rainbow at the same time and simultaneously appreciate it. But a rainbow isn't a tangible object. It's an optical illusion. And we each see our our own, personal rainbow. Does that make it any less "real?"

Old 10-03-2017, 02:15 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,567,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Here in western Washington state, in my yard, I've seen black bears, bob cats, Roosevelt elk, deer of course, raccoons, red squirrels and grey squirrels, chipmunks, coyotes, foxes, rabbits, skunks, possums, eagles, hawks, owls, woodpeckers, and various birds at the feeders. At the beach, I've seen orcas, grey whales, sea lions, herons, seagulls, and various other water birds.

I'm assuming you have great blue herons in your area, greatblueheron.
Here in Western Oregon, I've seen most of those land animals and birds, within our city limits, as well as a few cougars. Valley quail and doves come to my feeder. A wolf came to drink from my birdbath once, even though there's been no wolves here for 150 years. No explanation for that. Just recently, large flocks of cackling geese came in to spend the winter and many greater white-fronted geese flew over, headed farther south. We also have thousands of tundra swans and some occasional trumpeter swans wintering just outside of town. I have plenty of subjects for my camera, this time of year.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:48 AM

671 posts, read 444,219 times
Deer, raccoons, squirrels, black bears, cougars, opposums, hawks, ravens, etc.

I was outside earlier sitting on the porch and the neighbor cat came over to visit. I sat and pet it for awhile then it ran off. Not paying attention, I heard the cat eating the catfood I put in the dish not 3 feet from me and reached over to give it a pat. Oops. Raccoon. I jumped back, it jumped back, I said "ok. Keep eating" and it did. Then I slowly got up and went in the house, heart thumping.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 822,122 times
Honestly, seeing an armadillo that isn't road kill is rare. That being said I saw one this weekend digging small holes in the ground near a local mountain bike trail. There was also a group of boars crossing the trail, almost ran them over (: first wild boars I'd seen in a long time.

Marine mammals: humpback, grey, beluga, minke whale, orcas, Steller sea lion, sea otter, harbor seal, harbor porpoise, Dall's porpoise.
Would like to live near the ocean just to experience the wild life.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:34 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,067,345 times
A rainbow is not an optical illusion, but evidence of a physical event.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:50 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,859,448 times
In the city suburbs: chipmunks, gray squirrels, cottontail rabbits, opossums, raccoons, red-tailed and Cooper's hawks, screech owls, bats, all manner of songbirds, mice, voles, garter snakes.

Near the river: all the above plus red squirrels, deer, wild turkeys, pileated woodpeckers, black snakes and water snakes, beavers, wild turkeys, turkey buzzards, orioles, kingfishers, salamanders, frogs, box turtles, toads, darters, sunfish, minnows, great blue herons, bobcats, coyotes, red and gray foxes, mink and probably more. Black bears are expected within the next five years, but don't seem to have arrived quite yet.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:56 AM

11,034 posts, read 6,595,311 times
Many, many elegant white egrets, pelicans, frigate birds (they look so prehistoric), vultures. At our reflective windows, little green and yellow parakeets look at themselves. It is always such a thrill to see these Stateside "pets" in the wild, living their natural lives.

Sadly, lots of dead giant sea turtles. Lots of geckos/lizards....large and small.

On the beach are these hilarious little red crabs that are so entertaining to watch. Only found one video on them:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1125&FORM=VIRE

Old 10-03-2017, 11:06 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,096,965 times
I'm just going to name the ones that have no business being spotted running around neighborhoods: foxes, there was a report of a coyote once, one time someone ran over an alligator, black bears, wild bobcats. i don't even live in the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature