Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:36 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,463,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is a tough call... I still wake up in the middle of the night condemning myself for an incident.<trim cat story> But guilty remains. So you live with it. And don't screw up your relationships over it . Stuff happens.
My cat story: Heading up North going through Atlanta, evening rush hour. 65 MPH traffic. Saw a cat climb up out of the bed of a pickup truck onto the tailgate, loss its balance and fall flat on the road. All four legs spread open as he spun under my car and disappeared in a flash.
Always wondered how the driver explained the missing cat when they got home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 01:28 AM

14,659 posts, read 14,758,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

First, are you sure the squirrel died? Hard to kill a squirrel on purpose with a car. He would have had to swerve enough to pinpoint hitting such a small animal and then correct back to driving. ......

The OP said he went back afterwards and moved the squirrel's body off the road so I think that means the squirrel was dead.

You are right that it's hard to kill a squirrel on purpose with a car. Since the driver was successful at killing the squirrel so easily this time I think that also means the driver has probably had a lot of previous practice at deliberately killing other animals with his car.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:19 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,955,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
Hello everyone. I was driving with my friend today who was driving erratically. It was all fun and games until I saw a squirrel getting ready to cross the road. I said no please wait there is a squirrel, he swerved on purpose to hit it and now I feel soo completely horrible that he died.

I feel like that I should have had him slow his driving down before hand before we were laughing at him driving like a madman. I feel if I wouldn't have laughed and egged him on to drive like a nut case he wouldn't have hit it.
Consider this...

His erratic, fast, "like a madman" driving could have caused him to hit a child or another car and kill a whole family.
Maybe that lesson will keep you from ever being complicit, laughing or egging on reckless driving. The end result could be much worse than a dead squirrel.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:41 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,267,254 times
This was actually the squirrels fault for being in the roadway in the first place. Natural selection. Squirrels also are nasty rodents that don't have feelings. I'd move on with my life, it's not like you hit a dog of something.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:49 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,161,240 times
Serial killers start off by killing animals. Maybe the next time your friend is 'having fun' he'll kill or injure a person.

No, I'm not calling him a serial killer, but callousness and disregard for a life, including an animal's, is indicative of something deeper.

I'd find a new friend.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:35 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,447,824 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I was driving with my friend today who was driving erratically. It was all fun and games until I saw a squirrel getting ready to cross the road. I said no please wait there is a squirrel, he swerved on purpose to hit it and now I feel soo completely horrible that he died.

I feel like that I should have had him slow his driving down before hand before we were laughing at him driving like a madman. I feel if I wouldn't have laughed and egged him on to drive like a nut case he wouldn't have hit it.

Call me crazy but I'm an absolute animal lover and I'm over compassionate sometimes.

I messaged him to tell him how upset I was about him intentionally hitting it, but he said for him that's like killing a fly or a rat...??

I just don't get how a human wouldn't bat an eye to kill something. I wont even kill bugs in my house if I don't have to, I put them outside.

Sorry guy I am very upset over the death of this squirrel. I at least went back to where he was hit and moved him into the side of the road.
Serial killer in the making.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:50 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,204,345 times
You'll have to let it go. I think most of us have accidently hit something at one time or another. I remember when a woman intentionally walked out into freeway traffic predawn in Atlanta. No one was really sure what they hit. Someone reported that a large animal had been hit. By the time they figured it out it was a real mess. So... It could be worse!

Old 11-19-2017, 02:10 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,396,658 times
I would feel horrible for having a supposed 'friend' who was stupid enough to feel driving erratically with me in the car was somehow funny.

The 'friend' is a total idiot imperiling the lives of you (himself - maybe not a bad thing if he's a solo Darwin award contestant) and other innocent drivers and pedestrians.

As for the squirrel, I assume you've seen bumper stickers extolling us that "S*** Happen" or that the world is overpopulated or that something or someone somewhere is hurting / dying / starving etc... so perhaps in the "Butterfly Effect" thought process you can imagine the squirrel having caused you to have an accident as you tried to avoid it and crashed into a tree (so your friend saved your life) or maybe you can be inspired to write a Stephen King like Pet Cemetery story about a vengeful squirrel who attacks motor vehicles driving erratically and causing the drivers to crash into telephone pole.

Since this is the nature forum and not psychology I thought this factoid would be appropriate since the focus seems to be the squirrel.
https://www.quora.com/How-true-is-th...ing-the-ground

On a lighter note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fDXX9stJY

Now I'd be really p**** if this squirrel got behind the wheel of an auto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQtLeUrn8hM

Old 11-19-2017, 03:27 PM

10,998 posts, read 6,538,661 times
Yeah, that's awful, OP. What a heartless jerk. I was with a drunk redneck who did this once (one and only time we were with this neighbor)---swerved off the road into a ditch to hit a rabbit!

We hit a squirrel once by accident: I heard the thump, then saw it flip up in the air in my rear-view mirror. We didn't even acknowledge it to each other, we were so sad.

Then once I thought there was a rope in the road and, unthinking, ran right over it. The snake was rearing half of its body up in the air when I glanced back. I'll never forget it. Don't run over ropes.

Then again, the experts say not to swerve into a ditch to avoid a deer---creates worse accidents.

SIGH. What to do.......

Old 11-19-2017, 04:02 PM

22,905 posts, read 18,196,061 times
Quote:
How do I stop thinking about his death? I feel like I could have stopped it? Maybe I need therapy for feeling so guilty about things like this.
You have already done something. You feel guilt and/or shame. That's a form of atonement. You also told this "friend" how thoughtless their behavior was. Unless he has no emotions at all, I bet he is squirming a tiny bit despite sounding like a braggart. You are re-evaluating his status as someone you are willing to be around. You also came to an anonymous web forum to share the story "admitting" it to who knows how many people.

You didn't do nothing. The event made an impression and made you think about the net worth of a creature. All good stuff that will help you put it in its proper place in your memory. That squirrel probably means you won't ever be that careless in your own car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature