U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:36 PM

2,574 posts, read 4,776,001 times

Advertisements

When I lived in California, someone at work bragged one Monday about shooting a wild turkey when hunting season opened. I literally laughed out loud. There were so many wild turkeys in one part of my town that one day I had to stop while three of them crossed the street on my way to the store - IN A CROSSWALK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 05:13 PM

1,160 posts, read 901,075 times
When I was still working, at least once every Spring I would be late for work because a band of wild turkeys had the road blocked, lol

They would trot in front of my car frantically looking for the right spot to get off the road, and they weren't budging until they found it.

It was a good thing my boss was raised in a county that is even more rural than mine as not too many people would grasp being late because the turkeys wouldn't get off the road

Old 11-26-2017, 10:35 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,618,485 times
No thanks. Turkey droppings are quite a bother. If it gets on your vehicle it will ruin the finish, and even the paint. If they take up residence in your yard, the droppings get everywhere, are not easy to clean up, and can smell.

I lived in a couple places for work that had turkeys around. Cute the first couple mornings when they wake you up chattering outside your window. I quickly found ways to discourage them from coming near the house and barn because of the mess.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:42 AM

2,210 posts, read 1,263,126 times
My neighbor two doors down feeds them, or I should say, used to. I'm like, please don't do that. Now she has to carry a broom if she wants to spend time in her yard. See I told ya!

Old 11-26-2017, 11:07 AM

5,887 posts, read 5,377,214 times
In addition to all of the above, OP, you do know that turkeys have a wider territory than just one backyard, right? Based on my observations of the turkey troupe that travels through my acreage, such a group can have a daily range of about 10 acres. If you encourage them in your backyard, they'll colonize the whole neighborhood. My neighbors shot about 6 for Thanksgiving (yes, it's Fall turkey hunting season here) and there are still quite a few.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Status: "Policy update from HQ; lying is now perfectly acceptable" (set 7 days ago)

21,769 posts, read 22,605,857 times
corn works well for us

Old 11-30-2019, 02:51 PM

24,918 posts, read 31,061,765 times
my dog was just barking out the window and i see 12 wild turkeys walking around eating stuff from my yard. i did some googling and i am concerned that they are eating my grass. if that is the case, i will be more active in getting them off my yard. is it fair to assume that they are eating my grass?

Old 11-30-2019, 03:04 PM

8,472 posts, read 3,676,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my dog was just barking out the window and i see 12 wild turkeys walking around eating stuff from my yard. i did some googling and i am concerned that they are eating my grass. if that is the case, i will be more active in getting them off my yard. is it fair to assume that they are eating my grass?
Well, grasses and grass seeds to make up a big part of their diet. Whether they are eating your particular lawn is hard to say. If you inspect the grass where they were foraging you may see patches where the blades have been bitten off.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:12 PM

24,918 posts, read 31,061,765 times
it was an interesting scene. you had 12 total turkeys and one of them was clearly the queen. she was bigger and had her tail fanned out to look more impressive. she was generally in the middle of the group and she seemed to be less focused on eating. the rest of them were picking at the ground consistently but also consistently moving the whole time.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:14 PM

8,037 posts, read 7,030,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

I doubt they're eating your grass at this time of year when the grass is tough and least nutritious. More likely they're eating any insects, grubs and worms they can get, anything they can find that is high meat protein, high calories or has high sugar content to get them through the winter. Springtime is when they may trim the grass since at that time of year the new grass is more tender, sweeter and nutritious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature