U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 03:17 PM

8,037 posts, read 7,030,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it was an interesting scene. you had 12 total turkeys and one of them was clearly the queen. she was bigger and had her tail fanned out to look more impressive. she was generally in the middle of the group and she seemed to be less focused on eating. the rest of them were picking at the ground consistently but also consistently moving the whole time.

That looks like a male turkey, not a female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 08:31 AM

2,187 posts, read 980,558 times
My sister feeds them corn, she get deer too. If you have a large property a brush and leave pile and some large tree limbs are enjoyed by turkeys. The piles of leaf litter attracts bugs and turkeys will scratch around in leafs. Just think if them as large chickens.

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

1,518 posts, read 388,717 times
Personally, I don't feed wildlife and it is quite possible that your state may have laws against it as well. "Baiting" is not legal in most states no matter the reason.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

2,187 posts, read 980,558 times
That can be true about feeding wildlife and getting fined. The suburb I live in , the city started fines for people who feed deer. They weren't doing it to bait for hunting, just to feed deer. There were a over abundance of deer in a nature area so they were starving. The city also employed some hunters to use bow and arrow to thin the herd. The poor deer are kind of trapped in a forest in the middle of a city.

Old Today, 04:30 AM

15,079 posts, read 12,266,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That looks like a male turkey, not a female.
This is a delicate bedroom scene; so do not look if you're prudish. And I apologize because the picture is slightly blurred. The 'queen' is usually not the one on the top:

[IMG][/IMG]

To the OP, if you want turkeys around, throw out whole corn. Just broadcast it and don't put it in one small space. They are fun to watch. But keep in mind that some people have been attacked by turkeys that became too familiar with humans. And, as another has stated, they can land on your roof, car, or porch and might possibly defecate. Sometimes they drove us nuts attacking their reflection in our basement windows. Years ago we had about 75 of them running around the house.

I loved to watch the courtships. The Tom turkeys will spend hours/days trying to get a submissive female. Eventually they will find one that will lay down close to them. Then they will climb on her back and spend ten or fifteen minutes just getting their feet in the right position. For the actual mating, if you blink, you might miss the action - it is over that quick. After sex the males have a little strut to show off how skilled they are to the other males. I just find it all interesting; I hope they did not label me a Peeping Tom!

PS: To the OP. You can buy whole corn from Tractor Supply or any local feed store. It cost about $9 to $11 for a 50 pound bag. Do yourself a favor if you do this and also buy a galvanized 30 gallon garbage can to store the corn in so the mice and rodents do not get it. Preferably you would keep that inside a shed to protect it from bears. Many states have laws against feeding bears and, if bears do start to come around, then you would have to stop feeding the turkeys.

You can make a scoop out of a heavy one gallon plastic jug.

Last edited by fisheye; Today at 04:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature