Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 02:32 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Does your friend have access to anyone that would know their status at the DNR??? I'd love to know how they are managing...
First, there are two owls in the nest box right now! It's a good time of day, light-wise, to see them in detail. They're resting and preening. So fun to watch!

My friend's contact at the DNR simply said that as far as they know the owls are thriving. They banded the owls, but the birds are not fitted with GPS so the DNR can't track them 24/7. They've been seen coming and going from the area.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-22-2018 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
First, there are two owls in the nest box right now! It's a good time of day, light-wise, to see them in detail. They're resting and preening. So fun to watch!

My friend's contact at the DNR simply said that as far as they know the owls are thriving. They banded the owls, but the birds are not fitted with GPS so the DNR can't track them 24/7. They've been seen coming and going from the area.

Thanks PJS!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Wow! That is such great news! Thanks for the update.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:20 AM

There are two owls in the nest box again today. Right now they're napping. They look so cute, each standing on one leg.

What an unusual owl family this is. Not only a second clutch of eggs for the year, but babies raised in brutally cold weather and they seem to be thriving. And now, they're revisiting the nest box. This is fun stuff!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:32 AM

They're baaaaack! I took this screen shot of the barn owls a few minutes ago.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:28 PM

That's so cute. I can't judge their size and I wonder if there's any way of determining if those are the parents or a couple of the owlets from the autumn brood? In any case, that nest box is certainly a popular sheltered place to catch a snooze.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:52 PM

A popular place, indeed, Zoisite. I've been offline for several days and just checked in on the nest box for the first time since last week. Sure enough, two owls are napping there right now.

Yes, it's hard to tell whether these are the autumn babies or a couple of adults. I'm guessing they're young ones, but have no way to tell. I'll ask my co-worker whether his friend at the DNR knows which birds these are.

They're just so darned cute, especially when they stand on one leg. Wish I had that kind of balance!

Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Could 2 adults fit in the box...?

Thanks PJ, for letting me know they're back again...

Old 02-01-2018, 01:13 PM

So sweet! I'm thinking it's probably the owlets because they still need the shelter from the elements more than the parents do. It's not easy for birds to balance flat-footed that way (it's actually painful for them) and it's kind of too bad for them that there isn't a slightly raised bar or branch inside there for them to roost on properly with talons gripped around it, then they could actually squat down comfortably on the roost without making contact with the floor of the box. But unfortunately a bar or branch inside there would be an interference and potential hazard to smaller babies when there is a new brood being raised in there. So I guess these guys just have to make do and balance in an abnormal flat-footed stance. At least they have the walls and each other to brace themselves against for better balance.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
I'm painting a barn owl, PJ! They're beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature