U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 04:32 PM

10,555 posts, read 4,149,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Thank you! I've always wanted to see a picture of a backyard hummingbird nest and eggs. We have hummers every year, and I am pretty sure which tree they're nesting in, but I have never located the nest.

What variety of hummingbird do you have? Here, we have Ruby-throated hummers.
It's a ruby throated too. They are the only variety I see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
4 Flycatcher Babies. Hard to make them all out. Had to do this quickly.. mom is NOT a happy camper!
I'll take all the flycatchers I can in this area (This is their 3 nesting here that I'm aware of). I haven't seen a bat here in about 15 yrs, since the Great Horned Owls moved in. Bats won't nest with the owls here since they would be din din. So.. the bug population is pretty large. ick. (after posting... looks like there might be 5)
It's hard to tell how many are in there. The one looks like it's ready to eat. They are adorable.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 AM

9,160 posts, read 3,977,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
You may want to do a little research.. you may have to put out feeders in the fall. Or February. I saw a few things that said that they pass thru that way in fall and winter.
I have to put mine up by March 15th in N. Alabama so you may need to put them out early Feb. I know if I don't have them out in time, the birds will go elsewhere quickly and I'll have a small population that yr.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/lif...fall/89671026/

WEC21/UW059: Hummingbirds of Florida

Thanks for these links. I am planning on buy a Firebush soon and I planted Milkweed a few months ago and now have Monarch caterpillars. Didn't realize I need to change the hummer's nectar every few days so thanks again for the info.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM

We had some bad weather last night with wind and light rain and cold temps into the mid 40s. Luckily she built the nest just under an eve on the north side of the house where she is protected from most of this. She's a trooper and still stead fast on her nest this morning. The weather should clear up and be in the 80s starting tomorrow which I'm sure will be much more to her liking.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:55 AM

2,344 posts, read 2,113,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
We had some bad weather last night with wind and light rain and cold temps into the mid 40s. Luckily she built the nest just under an eve on the north side of the house where she is protected from most of this. She's a trooper and still stead fast on her nest this morning. The weather should clear up and be in the 80s starting tomorrow which I'm sure will be much more to her liking.
We had a hummer winter over yr before last. For some reason it didn't make the migration. Had a feeder still hanging.. not good nectar... and just happened to see a bird on it the day before Thanksgiving and it was cold. We quick made up some nectar, cooled it some and put it in a clean feeder and hung it out. The bird was grateful. It ended up staying all winter. That particular feeder was under an eave and my husband was always up about 4am so he had another feeder ready to go just before daylight if it had gotten cold enough to freeze the feeding ports. The hummer was there at first daylight every morning. So mid 40s is definitely doable for them!
My husband particularly enjoyed having that little visitor and taking care of it all winter long.

And no.. we didn't prevent it from migrating by keeping a feeder up. They have a biologic imperative to migrate but sometimes a bird is weak or ill and can't migrate. It would most likely have died if that feeder wasn't up.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 AM

5,533 posts, read 3,391,491 times
Hummingbirds normally lay just two eggs. I looked that up when we had a nest one year in a tree that was in a large pot on the back patio. Unfortunately fierce winds blew through one day and knocked the pot over. Both eggs fell out of the nest and broke, and that was the end of that. I guess it's just as well it happened before they hatched and not after. Hummingbirds live year-round here and they are often in our yard, but no nests. You're very lucky!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:04 PM

Most winters the low temps at night here can be in the 20s for several nights at a time and they still overwinter here. I'm surprised they could take temps that cold.
Today I watch as she turned the eggs with her long beak. Of course I couldn't see the eggs but I watched from my window as she stood on the edge of the nest and moved things around and then sat down again. She seems to be experienced in nesting. None of this seems to be new to her but maybe it's all instinct.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Hummingbirds normally lay just two eggs. I looked that up when we had a nest one year in a tree that was in a large pot on the back patio. Unfortunately fierce winds blew through one day and knocked the pot over. Both eggs fell out of the nest and broke, and that was the end of that. I guess it's just as well it happened before they hatched and not after. Hummingbirds live year-round here and they are often in our yard, but no nests. You're very lucky!
Awwwwww.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM

Giving a quick update.
Everything seems to be going well. The vine she chose to make her nest in is now blooming and will provide lots of natural nectar and little insects for the babies when they hatch which I think will be about a week. Her nest is in there well hidden.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:16 AM

Good deal! (Pretty vine too!). My flycatcher babies are about to bust outta the nest so I suspect they will be fledging any day now and be gone. Doesn't take long! I just hope they all survive that first hop outta the nest. Its a long drop for a little one. They're just about all mouth tho, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or