Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 02:30 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,903,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
gouli9gann shows he/she is not one that has spent a lot of time in the wooded areas, and understands bears. People that understand bears, know that start prodding and hitting a bear with sticks would not drive a bear away. It would just make a bear even more angry, and put them in a fight mood, and the bear would have attacked anyone that was involved in hitting them.
In Grizzly Man, Werner Herzog tells the tale of a crunchy granola type who went off to be with the grizzlies. He and his girlfriend ended up eaten:

Quote:
...Herzog narrates and offers his own interpretations of events. He concluded that Treadwell had a sentimental view of nature, thinking he could tame the wild bears. Herzog notes that nature is cold and harsh. Treadwell's view clouded his thinking and led him to underestimate danger, resulting in his death and that of his girlfriend...
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man)

Now that's what I call being one with nature. You see the same nature naivete in some of the posts in this thread - from people who have never encountered dangerous wildlife outside a zoo. I've had close encounters with moose and bears, in situations where there was no one else around if something bad happened. Those who are outraged because the spectators didn't help don't know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 02:43 PM

3,266 posts, read 1,778,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
That man was as stupid as the woman in the national park, that put honey on a toddlers hand so she could get a picture of a grizzle bear licking the honey off her daughters hand. Bear just took her hand off, and got all the honey. Mother complained that they should not have Bears in national park, that were not trained to be gentle and would not do something like this.
Please, please, tell me that this is an urban myth.. or fake news.
Please......
... and 10 minutes later....
Whew, Snopes has it as an urban legend.
But people are so crazy it could still happen, right?

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 05-08-2018 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 03:08 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,280,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Please, please, tell me that this is an urban myth.. or fake news.
Please...
Relax.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:29 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,537,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This is our world now - people don't try to help, they just take out their damn cell phones and start recording.

Anyhow there is one less person in the stupid gene pool. Hopefully he hadn't procreated yet.

Take a look at the opening scene in the movie, "The Time Machine". It shows a group of young Eloi people watching one of their own, drowning in a river and not a one lifts a finger to help. This story was supposed to take place far into the future, but maybe, that future is already upon us.

The bear shown in the video, is an Indian sloth bear. They're no more than medium-sized, but are aggressive towards people, if they are surprised by them, at close range or if defending cubs. You can see the length of its claws, when it is in a cage, after capture. Sensible people in that part of the world, stay as far away from them as possible. They do occasionally kill or maim people, although they're not as dangerous as the more common Asiatic black bear.

http://www.bearsoftheworld.net/sloth_bears.asp

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 05-08-2018 at 11:34 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 11:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,256,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Why are people so stupid?
The internet and Facebook. Gotta show everyone I took a pic with Smokey the bear. I guess Smokey didnt like the pic

Old 05-09-2018, 01:11 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,267,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I agree. This was no accident, his stupidity put him in danger. You go up there poking the bear with a stick, and soon the bear is biting a chunk out of your skull. If the bear decides that you are now the problem, you are dead. It's not like you can outrun him.
You only have to outrun the guy next to you!😂

Old 05-09-2018, 07:14 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 18 days ago)

34,497 posts, read 16,584,711 times
In July 1973 selfies weren't a "thing" yet. I was hiking up a trail in Grand Teton National Park to Solitude Lake. I decided to venture off trail to get a picture of a moose. The Trails West counselor bounded into the woods and pulled me back onto the trail.

Enough said.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:34 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,610,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Classy.

You just watched a guy get tortured to death by a bear, and all you want to do is add insults.

Yep, keep piling on. Has nothing to do with "nature," but it sure feels good to cluck your tongue at "some idiot" from the safety of your recliner, doesn't it?

You are the one "clucking your tongue." I stated a fact not an insult, I hope you are able to understand the difference. Again, he did a STUPID thing that cost him his life. Oh, and I don't own a recliner, perhaps you should get up from yours long enough to read what I actually said. Why do you have quotes around "some idiot," who exactly do you think you are quoting since I never called him any names.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:15 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,903,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In July 1973 selfies weren't a "thing" yet. I was hiking up a trail in Grand Teton National Park to Solitude Lake. I decided to venture off trail to get a picture of a moose. The Trails West counselor bounded into the woods and pulled me back onto the trail.

Enough said.
Moose are scary animals. I was hiking on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia one autumn around 1996, and there was no one else around. I saw a pair of moose across a clearing a couple of hundred feet away. Big, intimidating animals. Heart pounding, I carefully and slowly continued on my way, with an eye constantly on the moose. There were no trees to climb, nowhere to go, and no one to help if they'd decided to charge.

My close encounter with a bear happened around 1970 when camping with a friend in the northern peninsula of Michigan, in the Hiawatha National Forest. It was past Labor Day and when we parked at the campsite there were no other campers. We could hear a river in the background so after we set up the tent my friend suggested we check it out. There was a fairly high embankment, and we looked down at the river with the water sparkling in the moonlight, and tall pines all around. Then my friend suggested we get closer to the water. Stupid move, and I had a lot more time in the woods than my friend and I should have known better.

So we went down the embankment -- and there was a large black bear about twenty feet to our left. He stamped his feet and made a whoofing sound, looking right at us. I told my friend to back up slowly with me, not to make a sound or a sudden movement, and go back up the embankment. If the bear had attacked or we had come down a few feet to the left, we would probably have been goners - with no other campers around and no cell phones to call for help.

Yet people still try to take "selfies" with these things - and they'll do so even if there are warning signs all over the place.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:57 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,938,012 times
Idiocy knows no limits in some. Had a friend with a large African lion for a pet. One day the lion was just chillin' in the pasture with his chain on. A couple drove by, the lady decided that they must stop and pet the cute lion. My friend had to get rid of the lion after it gnawed on her leg a bit. I'd have been fine with feeding her to the lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
In 1972 or 1973, my girlfriend and I were driving through the Smoky Mountains when the traffic crawled to a stop. There was a father and his young son by the side of the road. Daddy had thrown some treats to the bear and had his son positioned in front of the bear for a photo op.

A park ranger drove up, got out of his car, and threw rocks at the bear to chase it away and proceeded to approach daddy to discuss his behavior. Guess who was P.O.ed? Daddy, who started yelling because the park ranger had spoiled his shot. It's one thing putting yourself in danger because you're an idiot, it's another thing to endanger your child for a stupid photograph because you're too ignorant to understand that a national park isn't a petting zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature