U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:31 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,852,828 times

Advertisements

Wow! It was able to fly?! One of the ones that emerged yesterday only had 3 wings when they are supposed to have 2 sets of 2. I was afraid of letting him but it kept going to the screen like it wanted to be let out so I let it out. It flies but not well but I didn't have the heart to euthanize another one. I decided to let nature take its course so at least the butterfly has a few hours of being where it is supposed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 06:30 AM

1,327 posts, read 780,384 times
I'm glad you set the butterfly free.

Mine could fly. Probably not as well as it did before but it got as high as my 2nd story of my house right after it sat on the flowers. I took a picture of that too. Actually I took way too many pics of that butterfly!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:09 AM

I have 3 more that emerged this morning. One of the three has deformed wings. Hopefully when it completely dries it might be okay. I'm getting too emotionally invested.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:15 AM

Just a quick update on the Monarchs. About 6-8 more have emerged from their chrysalis, one with severely deformed wings and one marginally deformed. It looked like it had a blister on each wing and every time it would try to fly it would fall to the ground.

I put them in my son's empty shoe box (size 13) with flowers, grass and hummingbird nectar and they seem to be doing well. It's been about 3 or 4 days now and I'm surprised they survived. The one with the blisters kept flying toward the screen in the lanai so this morning I put him on one of my large wildflowers and I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it can fly away. The blister looking things are still there but much smaller. If it's still there after an hour I will bring it back inside. My granddaughter named them Patricia and Alexa. :-)

Old 06-09-2018, 07:31 AM

435 posts, read 600,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Canned pumpkin, maybe???

Thanks for protecting/helping them out, cl...
Canned pumpkin is NOT pumpkin. Wacky world we live in, heh?

Canned pumpkin is various other squashes...usually butternut.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 AM

435 posts, read 600,527 times
We had a disastrous experience with buying milkweed from Lowe's. It killed all of our caterpillars.

This was a couple of years ago. We'd bought from Home Depot and Lowe's before with fine results. I don't know if it was because someone changed what they were spraying or if it was because they were fresh off the truck.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:14 AM

6,464 posts, read 4,063,729 times
We had one episode when most of our monarchs had OE. I think it was toward the end of the summer and it was so sad. My daughter was about 11 and she named them all after Shakespearean characters, then when we had to euthanize she made a mass memorial stone saying RIP Juliet, Celia, Orlando, Rosalind... Made it way worse!

Old 06-09-2018, 08:29 AM

Oh No! I almost cried over the first one I had to euthanize in the freezer. I'm very sensitive that way and I'm an adult. I'm going to have to find nurseries that don't use pesticides and research this OE malady.

The milkweed that the caterpillars decimated is coming back very quickly after I trimmed them and I saw one small caterpillar on one of them yesterday. Living in Florida I have a feeling this could be a full time cycle.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:02 PM

1,410 posts, read 794,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Canned pumpkin is NOT pumpkin. Wacky world we live in, heh?

Canned pumpkin is various other squashes...usually butternut.

Look what Facebook is doing to your brain

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ca...ually-pumpkin/

Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 AM

I set Alexa free a few days ago and kept an eye on her. When I went back out she was gone so either she was able to fly higher than I thought or something got her. Patricia had to be euthanized yesterday because her wings were disintegrating and she was looking like a wilted flower. She survived almost a week with fresh flowers and hummingbird nectar. I would put her on the flowering bush on my screened in patio so she would feel normal. I'm crazy I know.

I still have about eight chrysalis' outside but I'm not sure they are going to emerge. They are quite dark but nothing seems to be happening and they have always emerged after about 5-10 days I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature