Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:17 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Checked last night when I got home from work and I have loads of caterpillars including some so small they are almost invisible. Guess I will be making a trip to the nursery this week for some more milkweed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 12:08 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
They're baaaaaacccck! Have about 15 caterpillars, mostly large and a few smaller ones.
Yay! I had prolific females leaving eggs on every tiny leaf, so I did collect some (18). Glad I did because something (anole? toad?) must have dined on the ones I couldn't collect. Inside I have 9 instar3 and 9 instar1/2. Outside I've only found maybe 2 instar1.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I've been seeing A LOT of monarchs flying around lately here in Kansas City. They're flying everywhere - over freeways and busy roads, through shopping centers, through my backyard ... you name it. Yesterday I was watching one flying through traffic while I was waiting at a light at a freeway off-ramp when it occurred to me that they're all flying generally southward. This being late September, I realized they must be migrating. I then saw more today and started wondering where some of the ones I'm seeing might have originated from? Minnesota? Even Canada? It made me feel for the guys trying to fly over the freeways: It seems that most of them make it, but I know I've hit at least one of them trying to cross the freeway last weekend. Such fragile little creatures making such a long and perilous journey!
I'm envious! I've never seen butterflies in migration!

Old 09-25-2018, 07:45 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Keep in mind, this migration isn't like looking up and seeing huge clouds of butterflies, or anything like that. It's more like, you're driving around, and seeing a butterfly (or maybe a group of 2-4) every couple minutes or so. They just all happen to be flying in the same direction (south).

Old 10-17-2018, 05:21 PM

I'm actually still seeing an occasional monarch here and there. Saw one in a supermarket parking lot today.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I'm actually still seeing an occasional monarch here and there. Saw one in a supermarket parking lot today.
I'm hearing about folks still seeing them more north than the butterflies should be, such as in PA and VA. Guessing some Monarchs want to take a leisurely journey to Mexico this year, the kind of slow trip to smell the roses (pun intended).

Old 10-07-2019, 11:26 AM

It's that time of year again (actually it looks later this year than it was last year, by about 2 weeks).

If I look out my office window for about 10 minutes I'll see about 5 or so Monarch's flying by, all generally headed south.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I'm hearing about folks still seeing them more north than the butterflies should be, such as in PA and VA. Guessing some Monarchs want to take a leisurely journey to Mexico this year, the kind of slow trip to smell the roses (pun intended).
Last week I saw several in Northeastern PA. They looked more like they were interested in the flowers than making the long hard journey south or maybe they were waiting for the bus?

Old 10-08-2019, 03:49 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Last week I saw several in Northeastern PA. They looked more like they were interested in the flowers than making the long hard journey south or maybe they were waiting for the bus?

As everyone knows, the reason they fly south for the winter is because it's too far to walk.

I'm always amazed at how fast large butterflies can fly-- as fast as birds over short distances-- 20 or 30 mph. Consider how light they are and the effects of wind resistance. Compare it to throwing a wad of tissue paper which quickly reaches its terminal velocity no matter how hard you heave it.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:24 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
https://www.pbs.org/video/university...h-butterflies/

Enjoyable 20 min presentation on everything you need to know about raising Monarchs at home....In Nature, only about one in ten (!!) Monarch eggs hatch and make it to reach maturity-- that's why we can help by bringing them inside to morph from egg to caterpillar to butterfly. ready for release.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature