U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:49 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,928,749 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a large no. of butterflies in your garden this year?

My butterfly bush has numerous blooms but one butterfly (that I've seen) so far.

Hoping we have not killed them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 05:04 AM

10,319 posts, read 4,884,746 times
I started a thread about my Monarchs. Try planting some milkweed (not from the big box stores as I believe they have pesticides on them.) I had so many Monarch caterpillars I had to buy more milkweed. Then I had the chrysalis and butterflies! Unfortunately they chewed the milkweed down to nothing so I cut it back. It regrew fast and I noticed yesterday they are full of more caterpillars! I'm going to have to buy more milkweed.

I also planted a seed packet of wild flowers and the adult butterflies love them.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Great! Planted zinnias recently...

Old 06-19-2018, 02:59 PM

1,064 posts, read 491,812 times
We have seen fewer butterflies up here in CT this spring.

But I think (hope) it's bc of the cooler than usual weather, up until recently. And plus it's still early.

Fewer hummingbirds for sure. We had a big storm in early May, fewer after that storm.

But more than usual birds. And different species. This is the first year we have seen scarlet tanagers and indigo buntings. The tanager takes baths in the brook. (prefers that to the birdbath)

Something else new is eastern bluebirds at the suet feeders. Prior to this, we've only seen them in the fields.

Also, we think the bats are in the bat houses, bc they are not in the louvers. So that's good.

:-)

Old 06-19-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
We have seen fewer butterflies up here in CT this spring.

But I think (hope) it's bc of the cooler than usual weather, up until recently. And plus it's still early.

Fewer hummingbirds for sure. We had a big storm in early May, fewer after that storm.

But more than usual birds. And different species. This is the first year we have seen scarlet tanagers and indigo buntings. The tanager takes baths in the brook. (prefers that to the birdbath)

Something else new is eastern bluebirds at the suet feeders. Prior to this, we've only seen them in the fields.

Also, we think the bats are in the bat houses, bc they are not in the louvers. So that's good.

:-)

Finally! Bat using the houses!!

Old 06-19-2018, 07:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 812,272 times
Well, I guess butterfly misery loves company. I'm in southern Middle Tennessee. I have patches of milk thistle that I let grow in the pasture because the butterflies and honey bees love those purple bulb flowers.

I have only seen one honey bee at the milk thistles this year.

I have only seen one of my blue monarchs and none of the gold ones.

The flying insects are in abundance that the Purple Martins & Barn Swallows eat, so their kids are BIG already.

The Carolina Wrens are currently raising a second batch of kids".

We have a massive amount of fireflies for the first time in more years than I can remember.

It's been a very different critter year.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:04 AM

10,319 posts, read 4,884,746 times
What I wouldn't give to see an indigo bunting in person; only seen them in pictures. We don't have a big variety of songbirds here. Lately I rarely even see a cardinal; mostly mockingbirds, blackbirds, jays and mourning doves. I used to see the red-winged blackbird but not in a few years. Ditto for the robins, they used to migrate down here in the winter but I haven't seen one in 20 years. I don't know if it's because of climate change or what we are doing to our environment.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 AM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 18 days ago)

30,149 posts, read 2,545,429 times
There's been a lot of butterflies at my place in Minnesota. So many in fact that I have been sitting outside on my lawn chair each day and watching them, along with the bees. The butterflies and the bees have been very active here for a few weeks. I love just sitting there observing. I find it very calming and amazing, too! Oh, and all the bird songs... beautiful!

Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 AM

Good to hear....

Old 06-20-2018, 08:19 PM

2,780 posts, read 1,063,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't know if it's because of climate change or what we are doing to our environment.

Loss of habitat. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or