Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 AM

292 posts, read 163,229 times

Advertisements

Just moved to a small county. Called and it seems there is no wildlife rehab. To drive is a 2 hr drive to civilization IF they can help the bird.
Baby bird found on ground. There were 3 all together but while i slept w/window open, heard ruckus. Came out 1-2 hrs later to see no birds in the nest. Looked on the ground and only one was there, konked out. It woke up about 10 min later, alert so I picked up using gloves and put into nest. Momma Robin was going nuts this morning when I did this.
The hawk was ready to swarm down again, this is the only reason I intervened. Prefer NOT to care for a bird.
The 3 babies just opened their eyes the last 48 hrs.
I gave baby water holding her beak open though she has the ability to open her beak but was scared?
Babies legs may be broken, dunno. Squeeled when I picked her up
Left her inside 1 hr to keep her away from death form the hawk.
Also while I got a ladder from neighbor to put baby back in the nest and re-position.
The two Vet offices I called had no advice.
The Hawks been gone a few hours now....but I'd like Momma to come back and feed and water her baby for a bit while I sit here ready to swat the attacking hawk. No Momma as of yet.
We live in BFE but our local store has worms right now due to visiting fisherman. They are big brown ugly worms
When should I feed them?

Momma placed the nest way too low but such is life. I put it back in the same spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone help me with this baby bird??-screen-shot-2018-07-16-10.39.06  

Old 07-16-2018, 12:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
Just moved to a small county. Called and it seems there is no wildlife rehab. To drive is a 2 hr drive to civilization IF they can help the bird.
Baby bird found on ground. There were 3 all together but while i slept w/window open, heard ruckus. Came out 1-2 hrs later to see no birds in the nest. Looked on the ground and only one was there, konked out. It woke up about 10 min later, alert so I picked up using gloves and put into nest. Momma Robin was going nuts this morning when I did this.
The hawk was ready to swarm down again, this is the only reason I intervened. Prefer NOT to care for a bird.
The 3 babies just opened their eyes the last 48 hrs.
I gave baby water holding her beak open though she has the ability to open her beak but was scared?
Babies legs may be broken, dunno. Squeeled when I picked her up
Left her inside 1 hr to keep her away from death form the hawk.
Also while I got a ladder from neighbor to put baby back in the nest and re-position.
The two Vet offices I called had no advice.
The Hawks been gone a few hours now....but I'd like Momma to come back and feed and water her baby for a bit while I sit here ready to swat the attacking hawk. No Momma as of yet.
We live in BFE but our local store has worms right now due to visiting fisherman. They are big brown ugly worms
When should I feed them?

Momma placed the nest way too low but such is life. I put it back in the same spot
You need information and you need it quickly.

I found this under "wildlife rehab California." If there are no listings for your area, call at random. You can almost certainly get emergency help over the phone as well as referrals.

Wildlife Rehabilitation Listings - California (United States) | Wildlife Rehabber

Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 PM

Thank you Happy in Wyoming

Two houses up, a Contractor is working on a house so I asked if I could borrow his ladder

He obliged with much advice upon how to handle this baby bird.

Claiming to have re-habilitated hundreds of birds in his life
And being a certified falconeer

Long story short, the bird is still alive. I expect it will remain that way

We were told after we continue to feed the bird around 3 weeks, he will need to take flight

And there is some fancy word for teaching the bird how to get his own food.

He said he'd drop by during that time to help us.

But for now, we are out of the woods

And will learn ourselves or however, how to teach this bird how to find food

Tossing worms on the ground and such.....

Talk about lucky!! Thanks so much Happy for your info

Old 07-19-2018, 09:22 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Good news!!

Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
Thank you Happy in Wyoming

Two houses up, a Contractor is working on a house so I asked if I could borrow his ladder

He obliged with much advice upon how to handle this baby bird.

Claiming to have re-habilitated hundreds of birds in his life
And being a certified falconeer

Long story short, the bird is still alive. I expect it will remain that way

We were told after we continue to feed the bird around 3 weeks, he will need to take flight

And there is some fancy word for teaching the bird how to get his own food.

He said he'd drop by during that time to help us.

But for now, we are out of the woods

And will learn ourselves or however, how to teach this bird how to find food

Tossing worms on the ground and such.....

Talk about lucky!! Thanks so much Happy for your info

Happy to hear baby bird is still alive. Most often they are killed by accident by those who have good intentions but they have zero experience on the most basic task of on to how to feed them.

Last edited by ForLoveOnly; 07-20-2018 at 12:01 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Happy to hear baby bird is still alive. Most often they are killed by accident by those who have good intentions but they have zero experience on the most basic task of on to how to feed them.

Yes he's doing great, thanks

He isn't that happy since I just gave him a bath
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone help me with this baby bird??-screen-shot-2018-07-20-4.07.17  

Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 PM

another one
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone help me with this baby bird??-screen-shot-2018-07-20-4.11.28  

Old 07-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Forgot to say we think Hawk killed Momma Robin
My husband backed up the truck and ran over the Momma Robin
Yet we've never heard of such a thing.
How can he run over a bird?? they usually move so it was surely injured or already dead

Old 07-20-2018, 09:38 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Keep up the good work!

I think I've seen a robin or two dead along a road here or there over the years, so I guess occasionally they do get hit by cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature