U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:30 AM

3,445 posts, read 3,204,658 times

Advertisements

Did you not read Charlotte’s Web?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 11:22 AM

6,295 posts, read 2,921,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Did you not read Charlotte’s Web?
awww I was just recalling that book! yes Spiders remember and Salutations to anyone who read it

Old 07-21-2018, 11:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 655,316 times
I was watching a tiny spider (a baby) start a web outdoors at a coffee shop patio.
It was hanging off the tables umbrella.
What I wondered is how such a tiny body emits the silk strands to make the web.
Oh and yeah if you got bit by a brown recluse better prep to head to the hospital. If you're even serious.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:23 AM

2,650 posts, read 2,368,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2018 View Post
Yes but did you see brown recluse they are highly poisonous

Yes.. they generally stay in darker areas and love paper and cardboard. My sister had a brown recluse infestation and she's had the pros out but still occasionally finds them (it's been about 5 yrs now). Not everyone reacts to a brown recluse bite the same tho. Many people get bit and have very little reaction like many other bites. Certain people react harshly and it becomes very necrotic. I have a friend with quite a bit of his calf missing from one.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
The city boy in me just fainted.

I havent seen a spider in years and I'd like to keep it that way. The closest I'll get to a forrest is by way of the Discovery channel.

haha.. once upon a time I was the same. I guess just like most other things you eventually get inured to it. To a degree. In another post I had told about 6 months ago.. there was a spider so large in the kitchen.. I didn't see it until I heard it. I was facing one direction and I heard a 'thud' and a very large spider had just dropped to the floor. It was HUGE. That freaked me and I grabbed a big book and threw it on him. I couldn't bring myself to lift up the book and look at it for 2 days.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 AM

3,190 posts, read 2,009,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If they had the kind of memory you are writing about the the spider would "remember" to avoid the area where you tried to kill it, NOT decide to take vengeance on you. So just continue watching out for them accidentally getting in your space, while they are looking for food, water, or a place to hang out.
I have to agree with her post. I believe all animals (that includes insects and arachnids) have memory.
Even jellyfish respond to stimuli.
I do think that the event would be proclaimed to others of their species, and they would avoid that space.
Even if it is through scent, they know something with one of their own went down there, and it wasn't pretty. Imagine smelling spider organs spread across a wall...

*As an after note, do you know that the one animal that lives in the highest space on earth -27,000 feet above sea level- is a jumping spider? It lives in the Himalayan mountain range. Hence, you can never rid yourself of spiders. It is better to just get along. They survive on insect particles blown across the wind up to the higher elevations. Spiders do more good than harm.

I know you are worried about biting spiders, just thought I'd pass along a bit of info. Look at writerwife situation-she has learned to just live with them.

Last edited by TerraDown; 07-22-2018 at 06:42 AM..

Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2018 View Post
I just saw a huge brown recluse spider in my room and decided to take a picture before trying to kill. This was stupid because when I tried to kill it with flip flop I missed. And it want inder a heavy dresser.

I read spiders do not bite unless provoked can this spider remember I provoked it and come and get me in my sleep?

Can you post the pic? Brown recluse are generally pretty small. They don't get too big.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:09 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,021,176 times
I'm allergic to spiders. When I was a kid back in the day of dinosaurs, when "air conditioning" meant putting a screen in an open window, I used to sleep shirtless in the summer. Where I grew up it wouldn't cool down even at night, it was just muggy and hot. I would wake up in the morning with a huge welt, usually on my stomach, on a pretty regular basis. Had no idea what it was at the time.

I found out years later those were most likely spider bites (and I have seen the spider that bit me and then wherever they bit turned into one of those giant welts). Apparently its not uncommon for a spider crawling across the ceiling to drop off, fall on you, and bite you, under these kinds of conditions.

Last fall, before it got really cold, I found a ginormous black widow on the water heater in the garage. When it comes to highly poisonous spiders, I do NOT take a live-and-let-live attitude! I swept that bugger up and then left the vacuum outside for a couple of weeks (I live in a desert, it doesn't much rain here) until there had been several killing frosts, just to be SURE it was really really dead and wasn't going to crawl back out of the vacuum and take its revenge.

A vacuum cleaner with a long wand is your friend.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:05 AM

12,147 posts, read 5,218,555 times
Wow, I can't hardly believe how paranoid people are of spiders.

It's a fact that the vast majority of bites people find on themselves are not spider bites. Do you notice no one or very rarely does someone see a spider biting them? It's always after the fact they find a red lump or "fang" marks do the spiders get blamed. The vast majority of spiders can't even bite people, yet as soon as you see a spider, you think it's going to chase you around the house trying to make you it's next meal.
People are not a food source for spiders. They don't want to have anything to do with you other than to get away from you.
Even scientists that study spiders have to go out of their way and really provoke a spider to try and bite them and even that sometimes doesn't work. Spiders have absolutely no reason to drop from a ceiling and land on you to bite you, none. They don't suck your blood nor eat your flesh. That's suicidal for them to do.
If not for spiders, we'd be up to our knees in insects.

https://www.livescience.com/37974-he...der-bites.html

https://arthropodecology.com/2012/02...s-do-not-bite/

Last edited by marino760; 07-24-2018 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Wow, I can't hardly believe how paranoid people are of spiders.

It's a fact that the vast majority of bites people find on themselves are not spider bites. Do you notice no one or very rarely does someone see a spider biting them? It's always after the fact they find a red lump or "fang" marks do the spiders get blamed. The vast majority of spiders can't even bite people, yet as soon as you see a spider, you think it's going to chase you around the house trying to make you it's next meal.
People are not a food source for spiders. They don't want to have anything to do with you other than to get away from you.
Even scientists that study spiders have to go out of their way and really provoke a spider to try and bite them and even that sometimes doesn't work. Spiders have absolutely no reason to drop from a ceiling and land on you to bite you, none. They don't suck your blood nor eat your flesh. That's suicidal for them to do.
If not for spiders, we'd be up to our knees in insects.

https://www.livescience.com/37974-he...der-bites.html

https://arthropodecology.com/2012/02...s-do-not-bite/

All true however, when they get in your bed and you roll over on them... they don't like that if it doesn't kill them immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or