U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:20 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,775,417 times

Advertisements

i blew my horn at this one down the street a few days ago .. the next day it was in my yard ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 05:43 PM

16,684 posts, read 14,147,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2018 View Post
I just saw a huge brown recluse spider in my room and decided to take a picture before trying to kill. This was stupid because when I tried to kill it with flip flop I missed. And it want inder a heavy dresser.

I read spiders do not bite unless provoked can this spider remember I provoked it and come and get me in my sleep?
How do you know it was a brown recluse? BTW, it is not found in Tampa so unless it got transported there, it is much more like to be a male house spider.

Myth: A violin shape = a brown recluse | Burke Museum

Old 07-24-2018, 05:45 PM

16,684 posts, read 14,147,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Some helpful ideas.
Spiders, and mice hate certain smells. take a few cotton balls and dab any of these aromatic oils....citrus/lemon, lavender, clove, tea tree, or peppermint. You can find these at Walmart in the vitamin section...(tea tree oil, in the ethnic hair product section of walmart) or any health food stores.

Shake the oils onto the cotton balls....I usually throw them under the bed, under the dressers, in the corners....where ever you want. Hint, go easy on the peppermint oil in the house, it is a very overpowering smell.

The sticky bug traps will catch the spiders eventually. https://www.google.com/search?q=stic...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Tea tree can be toxic to dogs and cats. If ingested (gets on fur, animals groom) or even in the air.

Just something to keep in mind.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:20 PM

12,147 posts, read 5,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How do you know it was a brown recluse? BTW, it is not found in Tampa so unless it got transported there, it is much more like to be a male house spider.

Myth: A violin shape = a brown recluse | Burke Museum
You wouldn't believe how many people here in CA think they've been bitten by a brown recluse spider. I just had a co-worker a few days ago swear his friend was bitten by one and I tried not to laugh.
The truth is NEVER has a brown recluse been found living in California. There is no record of one ever being positively identified. Of course the person bitten never saw the spider.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 400,018 times
Quote:
The spiders are an important part of the ecosystem here. When I encounter a web across a pathway in my forest, I try to step around it. Watching the house spiders sprint across the ceiling to snatch a flying bug, is a good spectator sport.

Really? I keep an electric tennis-racquet type zapper at the ready ($20 on sale at Wilco's), to control my spider and insect problems. And I live near woods/forest too.

(Oregonians. )

Last edited by Ttark; 07-24-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old Today, 10:09 AM

1 posts
I don't like spiders I had a brown recluse on front porch I didn't kill him it's just I did a spearmint on him and let him go will he come attack me

Old Today, 10:18 AM

564 posts, read 321,246 times
Make your bed TIGHTLY every day! Most people who get bit in bed don't regularly make their beds.

Good luck, Rg

Old Today, 10:23 AM

597 posts, read 114,181 times
Do spiders have memories?

Ya, but only about 4K, about the same as a TRS-80 Model I.

Old Today, 12:39 PM

14,452 posts, read 11,798,520 times
This article talks about 'insect intelligence': https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...g-in-the-world. It does not mention spiders. But it does explain some of the problems scientist have with grading the intelligence of insects. Some insects they do credit with facial recognition.

Old Today, 06:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 2,721,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiegann View Post
I don't like spiders I had a brown recluse on front porch I didn't kill him it's just I did a spearmint on him and let him go will he come attack me
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or