Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 98 79.67%
No it doesn't bother me 7 5.69%
It bothers me but not that much 18 14.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 02:11 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,807 times

Advertisements

I don't like the sound of barking dogs, and for many years we had two of our own dogs, now we just have one, but she never barks. Our old dog didn't bark either. I know that some dogs are more prone to barking, ours were the wuieter breeds, but even if you have a yapper, you can train it to only bark when really needed, or if you don't want to train it, then get a bark collar to train the dog for you.

Our neighbors have two dogs that mostly live inside, but they let them out to go potty. When those dogs see me in my yard, they bark at me. Every time they see me. I've lived here for nearly two years. It's unacceptable at this point for these dogs to still be barking at me, for being in my own yard. I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners.

We went camping recently in a state park. The rules state to never leave your dogs alone. Well of course the cpers nearest to us had two dogs that they locked in their trailer while they went sightseeing. The dogs barked on and on for hours. Finally when the owners came home they let them out, and then they barked at us. I was livid. I don't go camping to listen to other peoples dogs bark at me.

Went to a different campground and the camp host had two little dogs. They barked at every single person who walked by their trailer. Shoot. Me. Now.

If you are a responsible pet owner, please realize that no one wants to hear your dog barking all the time. Take.measures to keep your pet quiet please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
The terriers barked at everything. They were in the house, out in the yard to relieve themselves, or out in the woods. They were OK individually, but together, they were incorrigible.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Dogs barking is one of the most annoying sounds of all time, especially if its non-stop. Ive called the police on neighbors for it before, because there is no need for others to suffer at their expense. I'm so glad I own silent cats. Ahhh, its Heavenly!

Old 08-21-2018, 12:38 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The dog didn't fall into the pit.
The guy did.
The dog let him.

I couldn't find anything about those collars either.
This was in the 1970s.
So those devices may have been outlawed.

I forget what they were called.
They were like a wide, snug, collar.
The radioactive part was in front on his throat.

It was a round, thick, disk with the radiation symbol on it.

There is more to the story. I didn't include it because it had nothing to do barking dogs.

But here it is anyway.

We knew the blind guy before he moved in behind us.
We went to the same university.
It was a small campus and he was well known for being an azzole.
He didn't have a dog then.

He was always angry and would walk along swearing and hitting people with his white cane and yelling "Get the fark out of my way!"

He didn't act like any other blind person I had ever seen.
I figured he must be a Vet who was wounded in the war and was angry at the world.

We were sitting at a table in front of the student union drinking coffee, watching some workers remove a piece of the sidewalk to fix some plumbing. They left for a couple of minutes to get some coffee.

Right at that time the blind guy came swearing and swinging his cane around.
Nobody told him to watch out and he fell into the hole.
He swore louder and more vulgar and swung his cane more violently trying to hit anyone around.

Nobody tried to help him out.
Finally the plumbers came back, pulled him out and tried to clean him off.
I had to go to class so I don't know what happened after that.

A few years later when he moved in behind us, I recognized him by the way he swore at his wife.

I hope the dog found a good home.
I hope the blind guy walked out into traffic and got hit by a bus.
Are you sure they were radioactive, or where they electronic that gave the dog a sting/shock?

Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
We live next door to some little dogs that yip. It's not barking per se, but it is pretty annoying. They start yipping at about 6 am for some reason. When we walk by their fence they always come out and yip at us.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:33 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Any loud noise drives me right up the wall. The worst ones for me are non-stop barking dogs, the thump thump thump of a car stereo, and the eerie screams of babies. I think those are supposed to produce maternal feelings in me, but a baby crying always raises the hair on my neck and makes me want to get out the plastic bags. Surprisingly, fingernails on chalkboards and airplanes don't bother me a bit. I don't know why.

I love silence. In fact, one of the reasons I'm moving to where I'm moving is that it's so quiet you can hear it. The silence is like a big bubble all around and I love silence like that.

Meantime, I'm still living downtown and the noise here, especially at night, is indescribable. Funny, if I get to sleep early enough, I'll sleep through it. But if something like the street sweeper starts, I won't be able to sleep till he's done. I think that's one of the reasons I sleep during the day. In the daytime, you could hear a pin drop in this town. At night - sheesh! Especially in the summer.

The leaf blower starts at about 10, because it starts to cool off then. Then the street sweeper starts between midnight and 1am and goes for a couple hours. By 4am, the first bunch of cars (including people who rev their motorcycles) start going by for the ferry. At 5am, the delivery trucks show up and idle forever. At 6, the second bunch of cars and motorcycles go through for the ferry. At 7, the garbage trucks start picking up garbage.

That's about 4 days out of 7, including Sunday night. And then I wonder why I'm crabby all the time.
I truly feel sorry for you and others in this Thread that are confronted on a daily basis with various "disturbing noises" that you have no control over.

One of the primary and most important factors that were on my list for the location of our home from about age 28 and beyond into retirement, was to have a location that would provide: peace & quiet; solitude and be far enough from neighbors so that the normal noises associated with "every day living"
would not be a problem.
In 86 yrs of living, I have only lived in a city (for 5 yrs), and that was the first 5 yrs of married life immeadiately after graduating college....and I had to live in an apartment within a decent commuting distance of my first job in that very large city.
At that point in life, I changed jobs and was able to live out in the country (I now had a "job" that was a "travel-type" job) and did not require being in "the-office" .....and that was (by design), my situation till retirement and on to this day......(for the last 40 yrs I have lived out in the county, on 14 ac, on a stream, no close neighbors and approx 14 miles from town.....wouldn't change a thing!)
I have always had at least one dog, loved rural living and being able to hunt and fish close by where I lived, have always been high on my list of requirements.
Long term "planning" and then executing those plans as related to my career and family-life and every day living, have resulted in a satisfying and stress-free life.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 08-28-2018 at 12:50 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 11:02 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
By the way; here is an article about my State's new Libre Law: https://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/0...from_beco.html. According to the provisions of that law:

"A leash must be three times the length of the pet or 10 feet, whichever is longer.
No tow or logged chain or pinch, choke, or prong collars used with a tether.
A well-fitted collar and no open sores or wounds on the dog's body.
The lead must be on a swivel and ideally a lead that has a coated cover to avoid getting tangled.
The area where the pet is kept must be kept clear of excessive feces with access to drinkable water and shade.
No more than nine consecutive hours on a leash in a day's time.
No more than 30 minutes tied up when temperatures are lower than 32 degrees or higher than 90 degrees."

The reason I mention this is because is specifically states how many hours any dog can be on a leash in our State. Of course, if the temperature is between 32 an 90 degrees, the animal can be on a 'leash' for up to nine hours - but only nine hours in a 24 hour day. If the temperature is under 32 or over 90 degrees; then they can only be leashed for 30 minutes.

Of course other states can vary.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:26 PM

801 posts, read 452,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I truly feel sorry for you and others in this Thread that are confronted on a daily basis with various "disturbing noises" that you have no control over.

One of the primary and most important factors that were on my list for the location of our home from about age 28 and beyond into retirement, was to have a location that would provide: peace & quiet; solitude and be far enough from neighbors so that the normal noises associated with "every day living"
would not be a problem.
In 86 yrs of living, I have only lived in a city (for 5 yrs), and that was the first 5 yrs of married life immeadiately after graduating college....and I had to live in an apartment within a decent commuting distance of my first job in that very large city.
At that point in life, I changed jobs and was able to live out in the country (I now had a "job" that was a "travel-type" job) and did not require being in "the-office" .....and that was (by design), my situation till retirement and on to this day......(for the last 40 yrs I have lived out in the county, on 14 ac, on a stream, no close neighbors and approx 14 miles from town.....wouldn't change a thing!)
I have always had at least one dog, loved rural living and being able to hunt and fish close by where I lived, have always been high on my list of requirements.
Long term "planning" and then executing those plans as related to my career and family-life and every day living, have resulted in a satisfying and stress-free life.
Have you always lived in Montana then?
I may have to move there - though I hate cold weather! Because I really need to find the kind of peaceful country living you're talking about!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,871,071 times
LOL funny story about that with me. I don't like sudden noises so that would include dogs barking in my vicinity. Years ago at my old family home we had some neighbours whose dog barked at us every time we came in or out of our house. Due to a reason which was irrelevant, we had to take their dog in to our home. Fine, but it barked ALL THE TIME at any noise outside. It mostly occupied the ground floor where my room was so every 5-10-15-30 minutes it would start up barking and I'd lose my mind. We ended up getting an extra door installed to partition my (small) side of the hall so I couldn't hear it barking so loud in my room lol. Don't worry the dog wasn't shut anywhere, it still had most of the house to roam but the entrance to my room was behind the extra door. Apparently this was an easier solution than actually training the dog.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
>>>>>Have you always lived in Montana then?<<<<<<<<
I may have to move there - though I hate cold weather! Because I really need to find the kind of peaceful country living you're talking about!
No, I have lived out in the country (rural Montana), for the last. 39 years.......prior to that, I lived in a rural ,country/mountainous setting for 16 years in Colorado.......and prior to that, I lived in a rural country setting in the northern midwest.
From the day I graduated college, I researched and planned my career and "living conditions" so that I would never be "tied" to an office job., and have to live in an "urban" environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature