U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 84 79.25%
No it doesn't bother me 6 5.66%
It bothers me but not that much 16 15.09%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:25 PM

9,822 posts, read 13,900,796 times

Advertisements

Dogs barking on the moon or just because in the middle of the night, all night long, point towards rude disrespectful of neighbors owner, who invested zero time and effort into training them. As barking is very trainable. Takes some time and few sleepless nights yet... As, at night, any noise carries very loudly and very far. Do I know that... Larry has two large dogs that he never trained... So, instead of letting fresh night air into my bedroom, I have to shut windows closed, or I won't be able to sleep.

Dogs bark. it's their nature. They should bark, when there is good reason to do so. Warn of intruder, usually. Otherwise - what for?

There's twisted caveat to this though. YOUR dog barking does not bother you. OTHERS dogs barking - for sure. It's like music. My music is soothing, YOUR music is irritating. Psychology one o one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:30 PM

12,967 posts, read 24,013,555 times
I would rather listen to a barking dog, rather than uncontrolled kids.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,643,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO the keys to noise are the 1) duration, 2) frequency, and 3) volume. The actual NOISE itself (barking, leaf blower, traffic, aircraft, music, screaming seabirds, etc) isn't usually the problem.

I have a neighbor who often takes care of someone else's dog over weekends. I know the dog doesn't live there all the time. It seems to suffer from separation anxiety, so why it is any better to lock the dog up alone THERE rather than it's own home makes little sense. Well, based on the other idiotic things this neighbor does I don't think THEY think. Anyway, this dog doesn't bark, it MOANS. Starting off at a low pitch, rising into a crescendo and dwindling down again. Endlessly, hour after hour after hour. It isn't loud, but it's constant all day long, all weekend. Guess it ticks off box 1 and 2 out of 3.

On weekends when this neighbor isn't locking up the miserable moaning dog all alone, they run every tool or powered appliance that is possible to connect to a portable generator/air compressor. Once it coughs into life at about 7 am I know it stay in use until at least 11 pm. Just the sound of that motor firing up, surging, idling, surging again places a background drone over the entire day. Once again, volume isn't the biggest issue, it's the constancy.
I agree with the first bolded points. I would add a couple of other factors, and your last two paragraphs give a good example of these.

-Control: If you're the one with partial or full control over the noise (partial meaning it's your dog barking and full meaning you or someone on your property is operating the leaf blower and can shut it off at the moment you decide to), there's much less distress with the noise.

-Trust: If you're not the one controlling the noise, then how much do you trust the person who is? Are they a generally considerate person who realizes that exerting constant noise is not going to be appreciated by the neighbor, particularly during very late or early hours? Or are they ignorant and ill mannered and either indifferent, untrainable, or in the very worst case scenario, deliberately creating the noise to annoy someone to give them a sense of power since they can't get it through legitimate means of accomplishing something positive?

Whether the person has a great or horrible track record as a neighbor makes a huge difference in whether there's going to be a stress reaction when noise starts up.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-30-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 07:13 PM

637 posts, read 401,007 times
The worst noise is a crying or screaming baby for me. Barking is bad, but nothing like a little one in full hell spawn mode.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:59 PM

68 posts, read 32,787 times
Dogs barking don't bother me and neither does mowing the lawn, leaf blowing, etc. Music drives me crazy! It's everywhere! I know restaurants are trying to play quiet background music but, to me, it ends up being so loud that it's sometimes difficult trying to eat or carry on a conversation. Same with shopping. Every store has music playing....Neighbors come home from work and turn on the stereo continuously.......The list goes on and on....I know that a lot of people love music. Is something wrong with me? What happened to just enjoying the quiet?

Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
I have a neighbor that will let their dog outside every night right when I'm about to fall asleep and it will bark for an hour before they let it in. It's terrible and I can't believe it doesn't bother them too!

Old 07-30-2018, 09:11 PM

12,967 posts, read 24,013,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
The worst noise is a crying or screaming baby for me. Barking is bad, but nothing like a little one in full hell spawn mode.
I agree. My next door neighbor babysits her grandkids every day. There are three little ones - two are four, a teenager, and a baby.

The baby cries all the time, the four year olds have problems - one has ADHD, the other is autistic. She constantly screams at the autistic one to put things down, and stop doing something, in addition to him pounding on the walls, slamming the security door, and the teenager is loud and slams doors.

Luckily, they're in the process of moving out, since the management company wanted to raise their low rent. They've been paying $1,175/mo for a 2 bedroom, and the management company is advertising it for $1,550/mo.

So they're turning in the keys on August 1st, staying with family, and are continuing their search for a house with a garage.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:17 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,302,044 times
Any loud noise drives me right up the wall. The worst ones for me are non-stop barking dogs, the thump thump thump of a car stereo, and the eerie screams of babies. I think those are supposed to produce maternal feelings in me, but a baby crying always raises the hair on my neck and makes me want to get out the plastic bags. Surprisingly, fingernails on chalkboards and airplanes don't bother me a bit. I don't know why.

I love silence. In fact, one of the reasons I'm moving to where I'm moving is that it's so quiet you can hear it. The silence is like a big bubble all around and I love silence like that.

Meantime, I'm still living downtown and the noise here, especially at night, is indescribable. Funny, if I get to sleep early enough, I'll sleep through it. But if something like the street sweeper starts, I won't be able to sleep till he's done. I think that's one of the reasons I sleep during the day. In the daytime, you could hear a pin drop in this town. At night - sheesh! Especially in the summer.

The leaf blower starts at about 10, because it starts to cool off then. Then the street sweeper starts between midnight and 1am and goes for a couple hours. By 4am, the first bunch of cars (including people who rev their motorcycles) start going by for the ferry. At 5am, the delivery trucks show up and idle forever. At 6, the second bunch of cars and motorcycles go through for the ferry. At 7, the garbage trucks start picking up garbage.

That's about 4 days out of 7, including Sunday night. And then I wonder why I'm crabby all the time.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,717,797 times
A dog that barks when he sees another dog, is playing or is alerting their human that something is not right (and other occasional barks) is totally fine with me. However a dog that is just left to bark incessantly bothers me immensely because to me that makes me feel that the dog is being neglected and/or abused. As for other animal sounds I love hearing them! I could listen to bird, crickets, cicadas etc all the time.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 PM

255 posts, read 70,361 times
Only at night when trying to sleep. Any noise bothers me at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or