U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 84 79.25%
No it doesn't bother me 6 5.66%
It bothers me but not that much 16 15.09%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:52 AM

1,196 posts, read 850,249 times

Advertisements

This Sunday a neighbor's tenant decided that on the quiet and beautiful morning the entire neighborhood has to listen to her techno/rap/pop/trash. A horrible music; I couldn't read, couldn't concentrate; I guess her brain is already fried. After half hour of this disaster, I went to her deck with a pack of brand-new earbuds. The b%$#h only turned it louder.
Well, I googled myself an online nasty sound generator, and in three minutes the trash was gone. Now I need to figure out how to make this sound going, without diffraction, strictly to a couple of people whose dogs tear my nerves apart every freaking day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 02:30 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,947,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I have a neighbor with dogs that bark incessantly. Luckily I live across the street so I only hear them when I go outside. I feel so sorry for the neighbors that surround them. I do know that they have been ticketed for noise (thankfully we have a noise ordinance in the city limits!).

I think it takes a special kind of rude person to let their dog bark on and on.

Don't have any snow blowers around here but we do have leaf blowers and lawn mowers. Those don't bother me because they only last a few minutes - not hours.

The guy who practically runs the small town of aurora SD that I live in for the longest time left his mongrels outside for hours every day. Someone must have finally complained about it.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:05 AM

5,867 posts, read 7,089,766 times
My neighbor has 4 or 5 dogs. It's hard to determine the exact number as there is about 200 or more feet between our houses filled with trees. I've recently discovered he breeds them. EVERY SINGLE time I walk out to get my mail one dog barks at me and then the rest of them rush the fence and join in the barking. It's become quite annoying and produces some anxiety for me as I have a healthy fear of strange dogs. (bit as a child as I was walking down the sidewalk on my way home).

There was a day this summer when one of the dogs was barking non-stop. I was trying to relax and just enjoy sitting on my deck. The barking went on and on for at least 20 minutes. Finally I yelled as loud as I could, "Shut up." A few minutes later it stopped. I wonder why the neighbor didn't realize that would be annoying long before I yelled. Other neighbors don't have the luxury of 200 tree-filled feet between the houses.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 AM

657 posts, read 370,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
The worst noise is a crying or screaming baby for me. Barking is bad, but nothing like a little one in full hell spawn mode.
Same! I read there is some explanation behind this (i.e. the screams are pitched such that they basically cannot be ignored and - worse yet - supposedly the female ears are better tuned to pick it up! )

Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 AM

2,364 posts, read 3,029,570 times
Barking dogs that go on and on **** me off. A bark or two when the dog hears something or a car pull up is fine, they are doing their job and protecting their home but the barking just to be barking is annoying as hell.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:08 AM

2,600 posts, read 1,489,444 times
Not so much dogs, but incessant noises like lawn mowers or leaf blowers are the worst for me. I've always been more sensitive to sounds than average. My DH doesn't even notice most sounds that are bothering me until I mention them.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:24 AM

1,712 posts, read 466,343 times
I must be going DEAF, according to the Mrs, but not the E.N.T last time he did a hearing test, I can be really good with noises during normal hrs, because other mortals and their pets also live in this world around me.

We live in the boonies close to the agricultural Areas of SW Miami where is dead quiet, specially at night, but in top of that we are in The Hammocks and several communities are within those Hammocks Boundaries, protected by private security 24 hrs a day.

If anyone gets too loud, specially on weekends and one minute past midnight, we just call them and problem resolved.

We had a back neighbor with a 24 hrs constant yapping dog, good thing they moved out really fast when Security kept coming back from everyone complaining daily.

Communities with equal RULES for everyone, most of the time work in favour of MOST of the people living in them. To me that is WORTH a Lot.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:44 AM

13,142 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Barking dogs that go on and on **** me off. A bark or two when the dog hears something or a car pull up is fine, they are doing their job and protecting their home but the barking just to be barking is annoying as hell.
We had one neighbor like that. We also had another neighbor that was dying of cancer and was restricted to a bed that had complained about the noise of the other neighbor with the barking dog. Nothing seemed to make a difference and the dog continued to bark. So we studied our neighbor's movements; we found out that he worked nights (when the dog barked) and slept during the day. So we bought dog whistles and helped the dog bark when he wanted to sleep. It was not too long afterward that the dog finally stopped barking.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:58 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,599,695 times
i have a neighbor with roosters that dont know when to shut up but they dont bug me near as bad as one single mosquito buzzing around my head in the dark and i cant find him .. keeps me awake all nite sometimes ..

Old 07-31-2018, 09:06 AM

5,131 posts, read 3,639,022 times
If a dog barks in the distance, no problem. If it's right near me and continues on and on, I would be stressed. A few barks to announce someone or something like a squirrel, no biggie.

IMO, people that just let their dogs bark are VERY poor trainers and should be more considerate of others.

What bothers me a LOT is someone that can't just listen to silence or sounds of nature, and insists on having music on all the time.

Drives me bonkers out in our boat fishing when hubby wants his "tunes" on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or