U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 84 79.25%
No it doesn't bother me 6 5.66%
It bothers me but not that much 16 15.09%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:47 PM

4,395 posts, read 1,493,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There have been a lot of threads about leaf blowers. The general consensus is that people who use leaf blowers are the spawn of Satan.

I choose to live in the country to avoid most human noise. Animal noises and smells make me happy. My dog barks joyfully, especially when he's hunting rabbits. I love to hear him bark and encourage it. Grain bins are extremely noisy, but they are a necessary tool so I live through the corn/soybean drying weeks patiently.

Leaf blowers are not necessary tools, and people should respond to their usage appropriately.

I'll disagree with you on that. We have a place out in the country, and recently bought the lot next to it. The new lot had 20+ years of leaves all over it. We used the leaf blower. We did it during day light hours, starting about 11 am., and went to about 3:00 pm. We didn't use it to **** anyone off.

I don't care if you think I'm the spawn of Satan. I truly don't. But I sure don't like people implying they're going to go all homicidal ape because we use one. YOU would be in the wrong if you decided to act on your rage while on MY property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 03:27 PM

1,461 posts, read 332,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'll disagree with you on that. We have a place out in the country, and recently bought the lot next to it. The new lot had 20+ years of leaves all over it. We used the leaf blower. We did it during day light hours, starting about 11 am., and went to about 3:00 pm. We didn't use it to **** anyone off.

I don't care if you think I'm the spawn of Satan. I truly don't. But I sure don't like people implying they're going to go all homicidal ape because we use one. YOU would be in the wrong if you decided to act on your rage while on MY property.
No one's going to rake an acre. Those were simpler times when you wanted to keep the kids busy but quiet.

Are electric leaf blowers much quieter?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
No one's going to rake an acre. Those were simpler times when you wanted to keep the kids busy but quiet.

Are electric leaf blowers much quieter?

I don't know, but not very practical where we are.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 PM

1,461 posts, read 332,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't know, but not very practical where we are.
I thought that was the sole reason why Lowe's carried 100ft extension cords

I could be completely underestimating the size of your lot, too.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think it was hyperbole...

I had a neighbor that would race his 4 wheeler up and down the coul-de-sac...I'd describe my annoyance with it similarly to 601 but neither of us have taken up arms.

Interesting the comment about snow blowers...They don't have notably different noise than a lawn mower or any other gas engine...

There's lots of ways to talk hyperbole. Maybe talking about homicidal rage is a little over the top? Saying **** like "There WILL be consequences" sounds a little threatening?

I think I was ok with "Cool your jets".

Old 07-31-2018, 05:46 PM

1,780 posts, read 860,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I thought that was the sole reason why Lowe's carried 100ft extension cords

I could be completely underestimating the size of your lot, too.
I think they mentioned an acre...

Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,221,462 times
I used to live in a rural area. Dogs barked, lawns were mowed, music was played. And I only had one close neighbor.

Now I'm in an apartment. I was worried it would be too noisy, but it's actually a bit quieter

Plus I don't have noisy coqui frogs and constant tour helicopters.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:26 PM

616 posts, read 406,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Does barking dog and other incessant noise bother you? Please discuss why or why not.

I guess I may be "nuts" because barking dog noise drives me up the wall.
I like dogs, I really do. I've had dogs that I loved and I've known friends' dogs that I loved.

However, I was raised to be considerate of others.
I remember my mom would tell us not to bother our neighbors, not to play in their yard. Or she'd ask me to turn my music down if it was too loud in the house, or to use my headphones.

Or if I had a friend over and we were up late and talking too loud, mom or dad would let us know to quiet down.

I was taught that it is polite not to bother other people with my noise.

Yet nowadays no one seems to care. Most people are either not like me, and are not bothered by noise at all, or else everyone's just given up on the concept of being considerate of others with their noise.

Dogs can be trained. (Even cats can be!) And they SHOULD be trained to only bark when there's a good reason to. Someone they don't know comes in your yard (NOT your best friends and family!)
They should not be allowed to chase vehicles, barking.
They should not be allowed to bark at everything that moves within their eyesight (people walking down the sidewalk, other animals, etc etc)

If you are a dog owner and you let your dog bark incessantly, you ARE bothering your neighbors. I'm betting this poll will prove this.

If you live in the city some of your neighbors are surely bothered by your barking dog.

And if you live in the country, you may have a neighbor like me who doesn't want to hear your dog barking incessantly (i.e. more than 10 min non-stop or many times throughout the day) even if you live several hundred yards away. After all many of us move to the country hoping to enjoy quiet country living, and appreciate the sounds of nature.

This thread also covers other noise such as ATV's, people yelling, kids yelling, people working on cars in their yards, construction noise (especially if you have a "hobbyist" next door who's always using hammers and saws, etc etc.

Curious to see how this comes out.
Drives me f'n nuts! Call the cops and the humane society right away.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 PM

106 posts, read 25,355 times
Noise is one of the things humans can stand the least. It is normal to get very annoyed by some noises

Bright lights is a close second. I could never be a police officer. I can’t stand the sound of high speed cars on highways, the sound of sirens and the bright siren lights at night.

Leaf blowers are horrible too.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:28 PM

106 posts, read 25,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
This is very often the case. I tried telling dog enforcement about a dog down the road that was constantly howling and barking. Nothing was done. A couple of years later, the dog was found still at the end of his chain, dead. They also found a cat skeleton behind this guy's couch.
Horrible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or