Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 98 79.67%
No it doesn't bother me 7 5.69%
It bothers me but not that much 18 14.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I can't answer this poll because there is a profound difference in the type of noises that bother me.

Barking dog noise doesn't bother me at all. I don't even hear it. Any natural noises are completely fine with me.

But leaf blower/snow blower noise makes me completely homicidal. I hate everyone who owns a leaf blower. I hate everyone who uses a leaf blower. I hate manufacturers of leaf blowers. Snow blower useage is somewhat forgivable, but don't use a leaf blower anywhere near me or there WILL be consequences.
Gonna give em the stink eye That will show em.

Barking dogs are one of the worst traits of a bad neighbor. A leaf blower lasts only minutes. A barking dog all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:15 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
For the time being anyway, barking dogs have ceased in my area since the owners of these particular canines that barked incessantly have recently moved.

What bothers me to the point of almost rage, however, are my next door neighbors who have this one particular child (one of 7 children) who screams and screams (simply because he can and not because he's being abused or in pain or even happy) often for prolonged periods of time. I've been driven to the point at times of yelling out, "For God's sake ...stop that kid from screaming!" ...something that is normally unnatural for me to do. You know that high pitched scream that kids can produce that would almost shatter glass? That's the scream I'm talking about. The other kids can be noisy at times but this one kid drives me nuts.

I never signed up for these children and I can't for the life of me see why I should have to put up with being harassed by the result of someones sperm and egg coming together. I realize how uncouth that sounds but I really do get sick of being subjected to someone else's unruly kids ...especially those folks who seem to reproduce these little tyrants like rabbits.
I don't know, just a thought, but maybe the child is autistic, or handicapped in some way and screaming is just what he does?

I know the scream your talking about, and there are kids that do this sometime when I'm shopping, and it's a mind tingling blood curling scream....

Old 08-02-2018, 01:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 802,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Does barking dog and other incessant noise bother you? Please discuss why or why not.

I guess I may be "nuts" because barking dog noise drives me up the wall.
I like dogs, I really do. I've had dogs that I loved and I've known friends' dogs that I loved.

However, I was raised to be considerate of others.
I remember my mom would tell us not to bother our neighbors, not to play in their yard. Or she'd ask me to turn my music down if it was too loud in the house, or to use my headphones.

Or if I had a friend over and we were up late and talking too loud, mom or dad would let us know to quiet down.

I was taught that it is polite not to bother other people with my noise.

Yet nowadays no one seems to care. Most people are either not like me, and are not bothered by noise at all, or else everyone's just given up on the concept of being considerate of others with their noise.

Dogs can be trained. (Even cats can be!) And they SHOULD be trained to only bark when there's a good reason to. Someone they don't know comes in your yard (NOT your best friends and family!)
They should not be allowed to chase vehicles, barking.
They should not be allowed to bark at everything that moves within their eyesight (people walking down the sidewalk, other animals, etc etc)

If you are a dog owner and you let your dog bark incessantly, you ARE bothering your neighbors. I'm betting this poll will prove this.

If you live in the city some of your neighbors are surely bothered by your barking dog.

And if you live in the country, you may have a neighbor like me who doesn't want to hear your dog barking incessantly (i.e. more than 10 min non-stop or many times throughout the day) even if you live several hundred yards away. After all many of us move to the country hoping to enjoy quiet country living, and appreciate the sounds of nature.

This thread also covers other noise such as ATV's, people yelling, kids yelling, people working on cars in their yards, construction noise (especially if you have a "hobbyist" next door who's always using hammers and saws, etc etc.

Curious to see how this comes out.
EXACTLY everything you said! I LOVE dogs and have two of my own, plus I fostered dogs for years. ALL dogs in my home are trained not to bark. I do not suffer fools. If someone's dog is barking incessantly, I WILL call animal control, the police, or apartment management. There is just no excuse for allowing a dog to disturb your neighbors!

Old 08-02-2018, 01:37 PM

1,201 posts, read 802,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I couldn't agree more! Scientists should get to work on this right away!

In my opinion people who let their dogs bark for more than 5 min at a time are jerks who have no consideration for others. Obviously they were not raised the way I was, to respect others' peace and quiet. I am glad my parents raised me to be respectful of others but it seems too many people were not raised this way.

I would pay a lot of money for a device I could point towards the incessant barkers and make them stop.

And honestly I am surprised, given all the stories on here about incessantly barking dogs, that people don't DO something about it.

Why is that everyone thinks it's "okay" for dogs to bark incessantly?

Why must we as neighbors have to put up with it?
Why aren't there "barking dog noise" laws that are enforced in every community?

In Los Angeles they have a "Barking Dog Noise" ordinance. When I lived there I used it several times against neighbors who let their dogs bark on and on. it worked great.

Here's how it worked (and I'm putting it here to encourage you and your neighbors to get a similar law passed on your community)!

• Dog barking is not allowed for more than 10 min at a time.
  • You call Animal Control and file a complaint.
  • They schedule a meeting with you and the dog owner to talk about the problem.
  • You provide proof or convince the officer that yes the dog barks incessantly (I used a tape recorder; the officer asked the owner if that was his dog, he said yes. I also had neighbors sign a letter stating that this dog bothered them as well and address of the offending dog owner listed in the letter.
  • The officer told the owner if he didn't stop the incessant barking they would take his license to own a dog away from him.
  • The noise stopped, and soon the owner (who rented the house behind me) moved out. He apparently wanted to live somewhere where he could leave his dog chained up all day while he was at work and let it bark its head off.
I really think all of us who are bothered by barking dog noise should do our best to get these kinds of laws passed in our communities.

Why? Because the right to live a life free of incessant barking dog noise should be given, and violating this right should be punished in a way that would stop the behavior.

Every dog owner has the responsibility of training their dog not to bark. It's not that hard. There are various methods to do this. People who don't do it are asses who have no consideration for their neighbors in my opinion. (Can I say that? Hopefully so. It is my opinion.)

Old 08-02-2018, 03:30 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
In San Diego if 2 neighbors call in a time frame the owner gets 3 strikes and then a fine, if it happens again after that they take the animal.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:42 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Many posts on this thread prove once again that people who egomaniacally use nerve shatteringly loud leaf blowers are black hearted villainous non-mulchers!

When I am queen of the universe I will abolish the use of leaf blowers. People who break this law will be be locked in a kennel with bloodhounds and beagles who bark 24 hours a day for all eternity!

Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
My neighbor has 4 or 5 dogs. It's hard to determine the exact number as there is about 200 or more feet between our houses filled with trees. I've recently discovered he breeds them. EVERY SINGLE time I walk out to get my mail one dog barks at me and then the rest of them rush the fence and join in the barking. It's become quite annoying and produces some anxiety for me as I have a healthy fear of strange dogs. (bit as a child as I was walking down the sidewalk on my way home).

There was a day this summer when one of the dogs was barking non-stop. I was trying to relax and just enjoy sitting on my deck. The barking went on and on for at least 20 minutes. Finally I yelled as loud as I could, "Shut up." A few minutes later it stopped. I wonder why the neighbor didn't realize that would be annoying long before I yelled. Other neighbors don't have the luxury of 200 tree-filled feet between the houses.
it's like when your own dog barks, you don't hear it I suppose...always tried to be mindful of neighbors even though we did live rural....there is nothing worse than when your trying to relax on a weekend, and someone's kids are screaming or a dog is constantly barking....guess that's why I love to live outside of town.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:46 PM

801 posts, read 451,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
For the time being anyway, barking dogs have ceased in my area since the owners of these particular canines that barked incessantly have recently moved.

What bothers me to the point of almost rage, however, are my next door neighbors who have this one particular child (one of 7 children) who screams and screams (simply because he can and not because he's being abused or in pain or even happy) often for prolonged periods of time. I've been driven to the point at times of yelling out, "For God's sake ...stop that kid from screaming!" ...something that is normally unnatural for me to do. You know that high pitched scream that kids can produce that would almost shatter glass? That's the scream I'm talking about. The other kids can be noisy at times but this one kid drives me nuts.

I never signed up for these children and I can't for the life of me see why I should have to put up with being harassed by the result of someones sperm and egg coming together. I realize how uncouth that sounds but I really do get sick of being subjected to someone else's unruly kids ...especially those folks who seem to reproduce these little tyrants like rabbits.
Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
I rented an apartment and it was incredibly quiet! Very occasionally someone would make noise but we folks who lived in what we were proud of calling a QUIET apartment building, would let them know that noise was not appreciated or even acceptable.
Anyway, so our apartment was super quiet...

But there was a row of small houses behind the apartment, and 2 houses down to the left and below me a woman ran a day care. Pretty sure it was not licensed... Most of the time the kids really didn't make that much noise.
But like in your case there was ONE little girl who just YELLED all the time. Every day! And for some crazy reason the woman running the "day care" would not stop her or even try to stop her....

UNTIL I started yelling, as you did... I'd yell out at the top of my lungs, "SHUT UP!" every time I heard this child.
For awhile it worked, then it stopped working. Maybe the woman who ran the place put in ear plugs!

We moved then to where we live now, which is out in the country. Nine acres of what was peace and tranquility when I bought it....

Now, we have neighbors with dogs, neighbors with fungicide spraying machines (coffee farm), and I can hear my new neighbors talking, they're building so close to me... as close as possible...

So... now I have to say it was quieter, overall, in my apartment building than it is living out here in the middle of nowhere...

Old 08-03-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There have been a lot of threads about leaf blowers. The general consensus is that people who use leaf blowers are the spawn of Satan.

I choose to live in the country to avoid most human noise. Animal noises and smells make me happy. My dog barks joyfully, especially when he's hunting rabbits. I love to hear him bark and encourage it. Grain bins are extremely noisy, but they are a necessary tool so I live through the corn/soybean drying weeks patiently.

Leaf blowers are not necessary tools, and people should respond to their usage appropriately.
Let's get back to the basic rule here, folks:
If you are making noise or letting your dog bark, and it is bothering your neighbors than you are a problem.

We need to respect our neighbors and try not to do anything to bother them.
Ever hear of the Golden Rule?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Doesn't matter if it's leaf blowers or dogs barking or kids yelling or etc... If you're bothering your neighbor with noise, you should make every effort to stop it or lower the volume/frequency of the noise.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
IF you had read my comments on this, you would've read that we STARTED about 11 AM, and we stopped about 3 PM.

And when you live (or play) out in the country, certain noises are going to happen. Noises like chain saws, leaf blowers, etc.

I agree people should use consideration and good manners. And we DID use consideration and good manners.
I agree with you. I think my comments about not doing it early or late were not directed at you. If they were, it was a mistake.

It's one thing to have an occasional noisy day.
People like me hate it, but even I can understand and put up with an occasional noisy day.

But noisy nights or mornings when I'm trying to sleep: well, that's not acceptable. And incessantly barking dogs are never acceptable.

I mean if a dog barks incessantly it basically means it's not happy.
Either it's penned up, chained, or confined in some way, and/or is not getting enough love and attention; perhaps even not enough food, because anyone who chains or confines a dog for hours and hours is a very non-compassionate and lousy pet owner!

The bottom line is people with incessantly barking dogs should have complaints filed against them and laws regarding this should be made and enforced.

We are humans and we should not have our peace and quiet ruined by canines and the people who own them and don't train them.

This thread so far shows about 90% of people are bothered by barking dogs!
So I am calling you all out to create noise laws in your community and make sure they are well written and enforced!
As mentioned, where I used to live the law was "more than 10 min. non-stop is incessant, and thus illegal."
The owner is warned and the 3rd warning = loss of license to own a dog.

There IS NO GOOD REASON not to train your dog not to bark incessantly or often (it's not that hard!), and there is every reason to be a good neighbor and not allow your dog to bark too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature