Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times

Advertisements

Cut down on traffic, pollution, expanding roadways by offering more remote work options. Work from home if you're just mostly on a computer or telephone all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 04:14 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Stop the use of ALL plastic bags in stores, stop putting water into plastic bottles, and put milk back into glass jugs. Go back to using paper bags or reusable, and only buy water out of large recyclable glass jugs (if you absolutely can't drink the water out of your tap)

The use of plastic is truly necessary in some fields (medical), but landfill sites are overflowing with plastic bags and bottles. I don't think the recycle plants can keep up with them.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:07 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
More environmental education and learning to think critically is needed. Doing something is great, but understanding why you are doing it is essential. The definition of critical thinking is:
... the ability to think clearly and rationally about what to do or what to believe. It includes the ability to engage in reflective and independent thinking. Someone with critical thinking skills is able to do the following : understand the logical connections between ideas.

I signed up for a 10 week continuing ed course called Endless Oceans at a local aquarium/research center. The inter-connectivity between everything is astounding and this is after just three classes. I thought I was aware and knowledgeable about environmental issues, but this course is making it clear how much I don’t know and have to learn yet. More importantly I’m learning how to interpret all the vast amount of available information more critically.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-20-2018 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
More environmental education and learning to think critically is needed. Doing something is great, but understanding why you are doing it is essential. The definition of critical thinking is:
... the ability to think clearly and rationally about what to do or what to believe. It includes the ability to engage in reflective and independent thinking. Someone with critical thinking skills is able to do the following : understand the logical connections between ideas.

I signed up for a 10 week continuing ed course called Endless Oceans at a local aquarium/research center. The inter-connectivity between everything is astounding and this is after just three classes. I thought I was aware and knowledgeable about environmental issues, but this course is making it clear how much I don’t know and have to learn yet. More importantly I’m learning how to interpret all the vast amount of available information more critically.
That kind of learning also deepens your ties to the area, so it is an emotional and spiritual broadening as well as intellectual. Kudos to you for taking the step of keeping your mind open and engaged.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Treat all lands as sacred. The most important places to protect in the next 100 years, in my opinion, are the most degraded lands.

Chernobyl is a wildlife sanctuary, in effect. So is Rocky Mountain Arsenal, outside Denver. If contamination is so bad that people leave, wildlife thrives.

We have no place to put nuclear waste. We can anticipate that many fossil fuel sites, refineries and so on, will close as the world moves towards renewable energy. Hang "Wildlife Sanctuary" signs at the gates of all those places when they close. Keep people out if necessary. The animals will come back. It's not as bad as it sounds. If you're a songbird, with a three-year life span, you are less likely to contract cancer than a person who lives on a contaminated site 70 years. Ideally, the sites would be cleaned up and preserved. It's likely most won't ever be cleaned up.

New England was once completely cut over. It's why stone walls run through the woods. It was all farmland. People left farms during the industrial revolution, and the woods came back. The Yucatan peninsula was once dry, brown, and dusty. The Mayans abandoned cities because of deforestation and drought. Now those abandoned cities are covered with jungle inhabited by jaguars and monkeys. Nature comes back.

I discount pristine wild places not because they're not important, but because many, many people are already concerned with them. The real turf battle, in my opinion, is being fought in the ugly, damaged places. Environmentalists go, "Ew," and look away. That kind of land can be bought up cheap, I'll bet, in many cases. Let's look there.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:31 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Worry less about aesthetics and allow more natural processes.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:35 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
Get rid of cars.

Gas-guzzling things! I loathe them.

Get people biking and walking again, taking public transportation, calling a taxi or Uber.

It would do a lot of good for some of the people on this planet I saw the other day while out shopping who are overweight, too.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:46 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
Good on you who advocate that there are too many people on this planet.

I could not agree more. Mother Nature is going to whip Her angry head around one day and decimate us all in order to try to save this planet.

There are too many people here and there are not enough resources for us all.

Birth control. That would be a start, wouldn't it?

Old 09-25-2018, 08:56 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
...Treat all lands as sacred....

Amen, Brother.

So many of the responses on this thread are the reflex regurgitations of the uninformed.

If you really want to help, buy acreage and maintain/restore it. Fragmentation of contiguous habitat range is as bad as degradation of habitat.

The minor injuries caused by Man's pollution, "plastic" and fossil fuel use are easily tolerated by Mother Nature if we still allow her space enough to carry on.

BTW_ there is no "over-population problem." Allowing 8 sq ft/person, there's room enough in Lake Superior for 12 Billion people to all tread water at the same time. We produce enough food every yr to feed everyone and still waste 40% of the food. Water covers 70% of the planet and we know how to desalinize it cheaply. I'm still waiting for someone to document a natural resource that we're in danger of depleting in the next 500 yrs.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:49 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Amen, Brother.

So many of the responses on this thread are the reflex regurgitations of the uninformed.

If you really want to help, buy acreage and maintain/restore it. Fragmentation of contiguous habitat range is as bad as degradation of habitat.

The minor injuries caused by Man's pollution, "plastic" and fossil fuel use are easily tolerated by Mother Nature if we still allow her space enough to carry on.

BTW_ there is no "over-population problem." Allowing 8 sq ft/person, there's room enough in Lake Superior for 12 Billion people to all tread water at the same time. We produce enough food every yr to feed everyone and still waste 40% of the food. Water covers 70% of the planet and we know how to desalinize it cheaply. I'm still waiting for someone to document a natural resource that we're in danger of depleting in the next 500 yrs.
Who do you think you are calling us names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature