Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could You Go To Sleep With A Mosquito In The Bedroom
No Way!! It Must Die Prior To Going To Sleep! 35 62.50%
I Need My Sleep!! I'll Risk The Bite! 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:46 PM

10 posts, read 15,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I simply cannot go to sleep if I know there is a mosquito in the bedroom apt to bite me in my sleep. No matter the hour, how much sleep Iv'e lost, or how early I have to get up the next day and how busy it might be, I must dispatch the bugger before falling off to sleep.

Just wondering how many of my fellow C-D members are like minded, or could go to sleep under the circumstances. A poll is included if you would be so kind as to vote...

A. The Mosquito Must Die!!!....

B. Sleep is more important, I'll risk the bite...

Neither.. bring out your pop up mosquito netting for your bed. Can find it on amazon. Best thing ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 12:03 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Boy oh boy, you guys are taking me back. Spent my first 23 years in Ohio and I remember that dreaded buzzing in my ear during the summer. Moved to Los Angeles and I haven't heard the buzz for 43 years.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:30 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyflyz View Post
Neither.. bring out your pop up mosquito netting for your bed. Can find it on amazon. Best thing ever.
Sounds like a great idea for folks with a persistent long term problem. Unless the netting is super easy to set up and break down/store, it might be too much of a thing to deal with/have in room for folks with the occasional mosquito problem, also if someone has claustrophobia issues, that might be a problem with the netting as well.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:48 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Okay, trying to keep this about psychology. Mosquitoes have existed for 100 million years. That means they were around since we were still living in the trees. You'd think that we'd have totally adapted to them by now, yet many of us still find them unbearable. And they still love sucking on us.

Either we've gone soft (which clearly we have) or they've changed and gotten nastier. I suspect that our resistance and resilience have diminished as a result of indoor living. Time to start sleeping out of doors again.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:05 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I simply cannot go to sleep if I know there is a mosquito in the bedroom apt to bite me in my sleep. No matter the hour, how much sleep Iv'e lost, or how early I have to get up the next day and how busy it might be, I must dispatch the bugger before falling off to sleep.

Just wondering how many of my fellow C-D members are like minded, or could go to sleep under the circumstances. A poll is included if you would be so kind as to vote...

A. The Mosquito Must Die!!!....

B. Sleep is more important, I'll risk the bite...

Haha, don't move to Florida. An occasional mosquito room mate is very common. Besides, they only bite you one time during the night.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:35 AM

16,776 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Is the wife is asleep? If so:

Step one. Go in the bathroom and apply mosquito repellent.
Step two. Go back to bed and sleep well.
Step three. Ignore the complaints in the morning by my wife about how she was bitten during the night.

Is the wife not asleep? If so:

Step one. Go in the bathroom and apply mosquito repellent. Have the wife do the same.
Step two. It is hero time. Hunt the evil so that my wife can sleep.
Step three. Go to bed and sleep well.

A question. Has anyone ever found a mosquito in a spider web? For me, never. Do mosquitos have a natural ability to avoid spider webs?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
A question. Has anyone ever found a mosquito in a spider web? For me, never. Do mosquitoes have a natural ability to avoid spider webs?
Mosquitoes use carbon dioxide exhaled in breath to locate their prey. Spider webs do not emit CO2.

In thickly infested areas they probably just bump into large prey.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Okay, trying to keep this about psychology. Mosquitoes have existed for 100 million years. That means they were around since we were still living in the trees. You'd think that we'd have totally adapted to them by now, yet many of us still find them unbearable. And they still love sucking on us.

Either we've gone soft (which clearly we have) or they've changed and gotten nastier. I suspect that our resistance and resilience have diminished as a result of indoor living. Time to start sleeping out of doors again.
Sooooooo, tooth decay, poor eyesight, broken bones, and horrible diseases also existed long ago. We have gone soft and should not bother with prescription glasses, surgery, or vaccines. Yeah, right.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
We have adapted to mosquitoes. We haven't adapted to diseases carried by mosquitoes because bacteria and virii evolve quickly, unlike men and mosquitoes.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
The buzzing would annoy me. I'm not going to go out of my way at night to kill it unless it bites me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature