U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could You Go To Sleep With A Mosquito In The Bedroom
No Way!! It Must Die Prior To Going To Sleep! 34 61.82%
I Need My Sleep!! I'll Risk The Bite! 21 38.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:55 PM

2,219 posts, read 2,535,746 times

Advertisements

I simply cannot go to sleep if I know there is a mosquito in the bedroom apt to bite me in my sleep. No matter the hour, how much sleep Iv'e lost, or how early I have to get up the next day and how busy it might be, I must dispatch the bugger before falling off to sleep.

Just wondering how many of my fellow C-D members are like minded, or could go to sleep under the circumstances. A poll is included if you would be so kind as to vote...

A. The Mosquito Must Die!!!....

B. Sleep is more important, I'll risk the bite...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-03-2018 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Post edited at OP's request.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 01:42 PM

92,335 posts, read 89,834,454 times
I noticed, that they tend to congregate up on the ceiling, and dive bomb from there. With a chair or a ladder, you should be able to nail them.

Either that, or get mosquito netting to sleep under.

The problem is, OP, that these days, you never know what grave disease they may be carrying. You shouldn't be opting to risk being bitten. That should not be an option. In the Far East and Asian Russia, they carry encephalitis. Here's what they carry in the US. See your local health authority for specific info for your region.

Quote:
In the United States, West Nile virus is the most common mosquito-borne disease, followed by malaria, dengue, and chikungunya.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:07 PM

255 posts, read 130,829 times
The mosquito MUST die! It makes me insane when I turn off the light, crawl into bed, and get cozy and almost ready to doze off when I hear bbbzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz! What is even worse is when you hear that, get up, turn on the light, and cannot find it anywhere! You fling your arms around, ruffle the bed and curtains, and try to get it to take flight, wherever it is, but you can't find it. So you turn off the light, crawl back into bed, get cozy again, and then, there it is...bbbbbzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz. When I was a child, my grannie used to tuck us into bed, then get her mosquito sprayer (and old metal can/pump nozzle) and fill the room with poison! You could literally watch the mosquitoes falling from the air! I guess it never occurred to anyone that it might not be a good idea to close the door and mosquito bomb a room with children! LOL

Old 10-02-2018, 02:18 PM

8,409 posts, read 5,316,885 times
It MUST die before I shuteye!

When I was a kid camping with a friend in her front yard, I could.not.sleep a wink until I killed every one of those whiny, needly stinkers. She probably thought I was bonkers.

It is the same now. I will tolerate a stray housefly inside, but barely. When I have done so and it lands on me, I immediately wake up. Must be an instinctive survival holdover.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:19 PM

92,335 posts, read 89,834,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
The mosquito MUST die! It makes me insane when I turn off the light, crawl into bed, and get cozy and almost ready to doze off when I hear bbbzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz! What is even worse is when you hear that, get up, turn on the light, and cannot find it anywhere! You fling your arms around, ruffle the bed and curtains, and try to get it to take flight, wherever it is, but you can't find it. So you turn off the light, crawl back into bed, get cozy again, and then, there it is...bbbbbzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz. When I was a child, my grannie used to tuck us into bed, then get her mosquito sprayer (and old metal can/pump nozzle) and fill the room with poison! You could literally watch the mosquitoes falling from the air! I guess it never occurred to anyone that it might not be a good idea to close the door and mosquito bomb a room with children! LOL
That's because it's on the ceiling. Because it knows it's beyond your reach and safe up there. Next time you hear it, turn on the light, and look up.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The problem is, OP, that these days, you never know what grave disease they may be carrying. You shouldn't be opting to risk being bitten.
Agreed!! In my area we now have "daytime" mosquito's that I swear are smaller than the one's I remember from years ago when they only bothered you at dusk. Either that or my eyesight is showing it's age..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
The mosquito MUST die! It makes me insane when I turn off the light, crawl into bed, and get cozy and almost ready to doze off when I hear bbbzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz! What is even worse is when you hear that, get up, turn on the light, and cannot find it anywhere!
I have been dispatching them with extreme prejudice all my life, if my talents get known, I can be called upon by others when traveling with groups if they have one in their room.

At home, I have a small mobile halogen spotlight that with an extension cord can reach the whole room and I keep most of the walls white. It's amazing how even the smallest thing will cast a shadow when beamed side-profile with the halogen. I can light them up and find them even on dark clothing, bed sheets.

If their airborne, they can be difficult to track until they land, however...

Old 10-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It MUST die before I shuteye!
This is my new motto....

Old 10-02-2018, 02:50 PM

15,728 posts, read 5,364,558 times
Get the little ba$tard!!

Old 10-02-2018, 03:04 PM

16,270 posts, read 9,932,863 times
Be glad you folks don't live in AK. You'd be very sleep-deprived all summer every year. At least the chance that ours are carrying a noxious disease is still fairly low. It's still pretty safe to risk a bite in exchange for peace.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:30 PM

29,044 posts, read 48,646,696 times
You just brought back a memory, from when I was traveling in Israel... we spent one night at a Bedouin camp, sleeping under the stars with mosquitoes buzzing all around us!! I finally just pulled out my Discman (it was the '90s, lol), and put on the headphones to block out the noise/ear-invasion. So if I couldn't kill the mosquito in my room, I'd just put in some earplugs or earbuds. It's the noise that bothers me more than the risk of being bitten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature