U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:49 AM

13,361 posts, read 10,712,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I "threw" mine up on the front stair post. This am saw it was mostly a wonky angle. Got a opossum though.
And one of the moon, I assume it was scudding clouds that set it off?

Good ideas. I'm going to turn it off most of the day I think, at least till they are done with the soybean field across the street. One thing about the M888 is its easy to do that which I like. My ancient cuddle something was more complicated.

I think I have a big green tpost although I don't find it that easy to get in an out of the ground that is a good idea if I don't want to move it to often. More flexibility than that one tree!
I just want to ask you if you have a bird feeder? If you do; try setting up your camera to cover your feeder at night. It is amazing all the animals that will frequent a bird feeder location that you never know about. Even the fox you want to see will come around to see if any seed fell out the feeder (especially if you're using black oily sunflower seed).

We had a "squirrel proof" (not) feeder that we placed a driveway sensor on to wake us when animals visited the feeder in the night. We then took pictures with cameras out our windows when we heard the alarm. At night we saw deer, opossums, skunks, many raccoons, fox, and (eventually) the bear that took down our feeder! The bear mauled the feeder so bad that we never put it out again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 03:38 PM

5,977 posts, read 11,170,863 times
Lithium batteries should last the winter. Set it for photos only, no video. Use the largest size card the camera can take. I left mine out at the intersection of wildlife trails last winter. There were 8,000 photos. Unfortunately the card was corrupt and the photos couldn't be viewed.

When you place the camera keep the potential snow depth in mind. I can go out before a store and move my cameras up. Being at a distance, you'll have to do some guesstimating on how high the snow will get and at what angle you'll be able to get good pics. In this instance it's better to move the camera further away from where you expect to see the animals.

I've thought of wifi on one of our cameras but they're either so close we can see what's in the field or too far from the house to pick up wifi. It would be fun to watch the animals live as they pass through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Oooohh, this is exactly the thread I need! I'm researching trail cams for a Christmas gift. It looks like a decent cam costs about $60-$80, which is okay, but only one on the entire list on Amazon (that I noticed) specifies length of stand-by time (8 months). I assume it depends on the battery life? I need a camera we can leave running at our cabin over the winter, and watch the exciting footage when we come back next spring--unless there's a way we can hook into the footage remotely over the Internet. We have elk, deer, black bears, cougars, racoons, wild turkeys, wolves, coyotes, and who knows what else! We have a salt lick in a clearing, and the elk family will show up in the early morning hours.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:08 AM

5,550 posts, read 8,836,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Lithium batteries should last the winter. Set it for photos only, no video. Use the largest size card the camera can take. I left mine out at the intersection of wildlife trails last winter. There were 8,000 photos. Unfortunately the card was corrupt and the photos couldn't be viewed.

When you place the camera keep the potential snow depth in mind. I can go out before a store and move my cameras up. Being at a distance, you'll have to do some guesstimating on how high the snow will get and at what angle you'll be able to get good pics. In this instance it's better to move the camera further away from where you expect to see the animals.

I've thought of wifi on one of our cameras but they're either so close we can see what's in the field or too far from the house to pick up wifi. It would be fun to watch the animals live as they pass through.

Thanks, that's great advice! We pretty much know the snow level and the game trails, so we should be able to position the camera for maximum "hits."

Too bad about all the 8,000 photos . Better luck this winter!

Old 10-28-2018, 06:28 AM

13,361 posts, read 10,712,208 times
Quote:
Thanks, that's great advice! We pretty much know the snow level and the game trails, so we should be able to position the camera for maximum "hits."

Too bad about all the 8,000 photos . Better luck this winter!
One more point about the trail cameras; many are being stolen. I found this one article that in my State they want to make steeling a trail camera a special crime reported to our game wardens: https://lancasteronline.com/sports/o...e38715e0d.html. It is just one more thing to think about when positioning your camera in the deep woods.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:41 AM

5,550 posts, read 8,836,779 times
I haven't been back to this forum in a while. Thanks for your advice! Our place is deep in the woods in a cul-de-sac, so there aren't many trespassers. I've narrowed it down to one of the video + stills cameras with a huge SD card, good nighttime quality, and no WiFi (that would be useless for us, with no signal). Definitely lithium batteries! Video capacity for when we're at our property and can watch and delete. Stills for the long winter!

Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 AM

18,612 posts, read 3,793,959 times
Quote:
Oooohh, this is exactly the thread I need! I'm researching trail cams for a Christmas gift. It looks like a decent cam costs about $60-$80, which is okay, but only one on the entire list on Amazon (that I noticed) specifies length of stand-by time (8 months). I assume it depends on the battery life? I need a camera we can leave running at our cabin over the winter, and watch the exciting footage when we come back next spring--unless there's a way we can hook into the footage remotely over the Internet. We have elk, deer, black bears, cougars, racoons, wild turkeys, wolves, coyotes, and who knows what else! We have a salt lick in a clearing, and the elk family will show up in the early morning hours.

I was told the battery lasts for about a year so you should be fine, leaving it overwinter.

Old Today, 03:33 PM

1,152 posts, read 837,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One more point about the trail cameras; many are being stolen. I found this one article that in my State they want to make steeling a trail camera a special crime reported to our game wardens: https://lancasteronline.com/sports/o...e38715e0d.html. It is just one more thing to think about when positioning your camera in the deep woods.

I worry about this. One solution might be to carry a ladder and mount the camera out of reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature