U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 PM

11,796 posts, read 13,557,172 times

Advertisements

I want one too. Lotta brands and options though, it's a bit overwhelming.
I need one for dummies. I don't have a pc, just cell phones and tablets.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 10:08 AM

6,022 posts, read 9,936,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One more point about the trail cameras; many are being stolen. I found this one article that in my State they want to make steeling a trail camera a special crime reported to our game wardens: https://lancasteronline.com/sports/o...e38715e0d.html. It is just one more thing to think about when positioning your camera in the deep woods.
I thought I'd update this thread with good and bad news: I bought a great Stealthcam online for about $90, easy to operate, good low-light pics and video, not too sensitive. We got some fun pics of deer and elk visiting our salt lick in the meadow of our North Idaho vacation/future retirement property. But then we decided to bring it back to SoCal for the winter, and we put it in our fenced backyard bordering a canyon--where it got stolen on the 2nd night! We're still in disbelief that someone would climb the fence and take it. The worst part is actually that we've now lost the camera card inside, with all the great pics, irreplaceable. We're in a very safe neighborhood, but apparently not as safe as in the North Idaho woods...Next Stealthcam stays up there...

Old 11-29-2019, 06:34 AM

2,491 posts, read 630,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I thought I'd update this thread with good and bad news: I bought a great Stealthcam online for about $90, easy to operate, good low-light pics and video, not too sensitive. We got some fun pics of deer and elk visiting our salt lick in the meadow of our North Idaho vacation/future retirement property. But then we decided to bring it back to SoCal for the winter, and we put it in our fenced backyard bordering a canyon--where it got stolen on the 2nd night! We're still in disbelief that someone would climb the fence and take it. The worst part is actually that we've now lost the camera card inside, with all the great pics, irreplaceable. We're in a very safe neighborhood, but apparently not as safe as in the North Idaho woods...Next Stealthcam stays up there...
Oh my, that's too bad and kind of scary. Make sure you lock your house and car doors at night, since you now know someone is creeping around in your fenced yard.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:29 AM

3,254 posts, read 2,751,923 times
Quote:

That sucks. But that is one of my concerns here. So I'm getting cams that can be put outside up over the second floor of the house. They'll need a very long extension ladder since I have high ceilings on both floors (then just watch out for shooting the camera out).

Old 12-03-2019, 07:18 AM

16,478 posts, read 13,226,547 times
Quote:
I am sorry about your trail camera. It is unbelievable that so many people have very little regard for another person's property. It could have been a teen or a hunter/environmentalist? But it could also have been somebody that does not want their picture taken and that would be scary.

I do not know if our PA bill became law: "Under the bill, the theft of trail cameras used to visually record wildlife would be added as a specific crime within the state Game and Wildlife Code. The crime would be covered under the section of the code that governs the theft of tree stands, blinds and decoys." That is a quote from the original link I posted. I guess the idea is to scare hunters from taking these cameras by threatening them with fines and forfeiture of their hunting licenses. But it would not hamper people that remove the cameras because they have an illegal plot of pot growing on somebody else's land.

And, yes, I would be upset if I lost great pictures of wildlife!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:22 AM

39,125 posts, read 35,053,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One more point about the trail cameras; many are being stolen. I found this one article that in my State they want to make steeling a trail camera a special crime reported to our game wardens: https://lancasteronline.com/sports/o...e38715e0d.html. It is just one more thing to think about when positioning your camera in the deep woods.
Invest in a box and cable setup with a good lock. You can also put a cheapo fake camera pointed at the good one and make that one way off the ground so they can't get to it.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:13 PM

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your words of sympathy! Yes, that was a rude awakening. We thought we were living in a safe neighborhood. It was probably a crime of opportunity. We should just have left the camera in its tree on our property in North Idaho. Anyway, we'll probably try again. We liked the camera we bought. And this time we'll take more precautions. I like the idea with the fake camera!

Old 02-15-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Here is what I hope is the final update on our Stealthcam story--and it is amazing. I still don't know what to make of it. We're having major yardwork done on our 1/3 acre steep, sloped backyard here in SoCal, after heavy winter rains. Our yard guy is working at the lower end of the backyard, and he comes up with a muddy lump of something with a long, muddy strap attached to it, and asks if we know what that is? Our hearts stood still--because it was the lost Stealthcam! He'd found it at the deepest end of the lower backyard, up against the 5 ft chickenwire fence, under overhanging bougainvilleas. We cleaned it up, and got the mud off it, and it was in perfect condition. Not a dent or a scratch. And best of all, the irreplaceable photo card was still there, intact, with all the priceless photos!

So what happened? There is no way it could have fallen all the way from our upper deck to the lower part of the backyard all by itself, with a long strap attached to it. There is a steep drop from the deck to a concrete walkway below. Had it fallen from above, it would have been smashed to bits. So did somebody take it, and had regrets, and threw it back across the fence? Was some kid messing with us? Or is there a chance that an animal--raccoon, squirrel--took off with it and tried to get it through a hole in the chickenwire? Our squirrels have stolen stuff from us before, including a long grill wire brush we found stuck halfway through a hole in the fence a few years ago. I was hoping for pictures in the camera of the perp, but no such luck! Whatever the explanation, we've got our trailcam back, in the most mysterious of ways! So is our neighborhood again as safe as we used to think? Maybe. We're still keeping our patio door locked. And when we mount the camera again it will be up high!

Old 02-15-2020, 07:53 AM

3,254 posts, read 2,751,923 times
Ha! Wellllll... congratulations! lol. I guess I would suspect a critter or... a 2 legged was making off with it when maybe someone in the house just happened to walk out a door or turn on an outside light and the thief scrammed and dropped it in order to make a hasty exit.
Or...... ?

Old 02-21-2020, 04:03 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,248,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
That sucks. But that is one of my concerns here. So I'm getting cams that can be put outside up over the second floor of the house. They'll need a very long extension ladder since I have high ceilings on both floors (then just watch out for shooting the camera out).
Better yet, put on a good beekeepers suit, and then mount your camera next to the biggest yellowjacket you can find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature