U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 08:10 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,201,895 times

Advertisements

Ok so nothing really to report because its not up yet but I'm excited. Unfortunately I'm not very good at setting things like that up so...not sure how that is going to go.

And honestly I live in an area of the normal wildlife suspects, nothing too cool. Opossums, groundhogs, racoons, squirrels, chipmunks and deer. There used to be turkey eating the wildbird food once in awhile but I haven't seen any since I moved back. I did hear coyotes waaay off in the distance once.

BUT - the reason i bought the trail cam is I've been hearing a fox every couple of weeks and that's what I'm hoping to eventually catch. Not sure how close he comes though etc. so really this is hit or miss. I love hearing him/her. So exciting.

Its a Mountrie M-888 if anyone has any experience tips.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 AM

5,977 posts, read 11,170,863 times
I have five cameras out now. One is a Moultrie but I don't remember the model. Please feel free to ask if you need specific help.

I suggest facing it north if possible. That will eliminate the glare from sun. There might be a sensitivity setting. If you get a lot of photos of moving leaves or grass you can drop the level and still get the birds and animals. Enjoy!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM

4,187 posts, read 2,125,302 times
Mine advised installing the camera only 3 to 4 feet off the ground. I think this depends what you are trying to see. For a fox, yeah, that height and angled down a bit should work.

To see human faces for security questions, I would mount it higher. Maybe also for elk or deer.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:59 AM

788 posts, read 693,568 times
The most amusing shot I got off my trail cam (mounted about 3 ft high) was a series at night. A large hairy deer behind got progressively closer until it filled the frame. Even though I have one of the "invisible" IR cameras, I can only conclude the deer knew it was there & was mooning me.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:25 PM

14,370 posts, read 12,673,972 times
I put my camera only 3 -4 inches above the ground and get amazing pics of ground hogs, opossums, raccoons, squirrels, birds etc. Pics taken on their level.

Sometimes they walk right up to smell the camera, really cute nose pics, LOL.

I have rigged up my own "mounting" system using a landscaping stake {looks like a GIANT nail}, easy to move from one place to another even when the ground is hard , a cable tie and a brick.

I threaded the cable tie through the "loops" on the back of the camera, tightened it up against the stake but left it just loose enough to slide the stake in and out. Then I put a brick under the camera to keep it from sliding all the way to the ground. You can turn the brick every which way to set the camera at different heights too, but all pretty low to the ground........ a good height to get a nice up close and personal pick of a fox.

So much fun!

Old 10-21-2018, 06:24 PM

1,152 posts, read 837,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I have five cameras out now. One is a Moultrie but I don't remember the model. Please feel free to ask if you need specific help.

I suggest facing it north if possible. That will eliminate the glare from sun. There might be a sensitivity setting. If you get a lot of photos of moving leaves or grass you can drop the level and still get the birds and animals. Enjoy!

Good tip about the sensitivity setting. I'm going to check mine and see if it applies. Now if I could only figure out a way to filter out all the stray cats.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,201,895 times
I "threw" mine up on the front stair post. This am saw it was mostly a wonky angle. Got a opossum though.
And one of the moon, I assume it was scudding clouds that set it off?

Good ideas. I'm going to turn it off most of the day I think, at least till they are done with the soybean field across the street. One thing about the M888 is its easy to do that which I like. My ancient cuddle something was more complicated.

I think I have a big green tpost although I don't find it that easy to get in an out of the ground that is a good idea if I don't want to move it to often. More flexibility than that one tree!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:32 AM

10,490 posts, read 7,589,368 times
Coyotes will kill foxes like everything else. I love foxes and intensely dislike coyotes.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 AM

7,123 posts, read 5,300,477 times
If you want to bring in the fox throw out a bit of dog or cat kibble.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:19 AM

5,550 posts, read 8,836,779 times
Oooohh, this is exactly the thread I need! I'm researching trail cams for a Christmas gift. It looks like a decent cam costs about $60-$80, which is okay, but only one on the entire list on Amazon (that I noticed) specifies length of stand-by time (8 months). I assume it depends on the battery life? I need a camera we can leave running at our cabin over the winter, and watch the exciting footage when we come back next spring--unless there's a way we can hook into the footage remotely over the Internet. We have elk, deer, black bears, cougars, racoons, wild turkeys, wolves, coyotes, and who knows what else! We have a salt lick in a clearing, and the elk family will show up in the early morning hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature