Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times

Advertisements

I've seen dogs eat some gnarly things and they don't seem to suffer for it. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 09:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,216,649 times
I worked at a fish hatchery that spawned Chinook salmon. Our dog ate some raw fish and got Salmon poisoning. We took her to the vet and she got antibiotics. If we hadn't recognized immediately what was going on, she probably would have died.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:27 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
They sure do get sick from eating nasty things. They can get away with eating stuff we (US citizens) cannot tolerate, but their digestive systems are not invincible.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I've seen dogs eat some gnarly things and they don't seem to suffer for it. Why?
Because they are not human. Their systems are different with different gut bacteria.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Dogs can become severely ill from eating nasty things. That said dogs evolved to have a much higher tolerance to eating things like bacteria infected meat. They are opportune feeders and evolved a stronger digestive system than humans have with stronger stomach acid to tolerate food that people can't including animals that have been dead for a while.
The best example of this are vultures. They can eat any meat no matter how rotten it is. They also have the strongest stomach acid in the animal world.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:24 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Dogs can become severely ill from eating nasty things. That said dogs evolved to have a much higher tolerance to eating things like bacteria infected meat. They are opportune feeders and evolved a stronger digestive system than humans have with stronger stomach acid to tolerate food that people can't including animals that have been dead for a while.
The best example of this are vultures. They can eat any meat no matter how rotten it is. They also have the strongest stomach acid in the animal world.
Bingo. Dogs have a digestive system like a garbage disposal, at least with regards to meat. But onions and grapes are poison to dogs in relatively low doses. It’s like asking why a Prius can’t pull a tractor trailer but a Freightliner can.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:33 PM

23,249 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Because they are not human. Their systems are different with different gut bacteria.
They have to have different gut tolerances. Just think about what they have no choice but to expose their tongues/mouth to on a regular basis.

True story: a neighbor of mine slaughtered one of his livestock in his front yard. He was quite cavalier about such things which was a constant source of irritation to the neighborhood. Apparently he left home on short notice and the carcass stayed right where it dropped after butchering the useful meat off of it. His own dogs free-ranged normally so they gorged themselves on it for days. So did the local ravens, magpies, jays, coyotes, other loose dogs and who-knows what other scavengers, carrying off the bits they could carry. As the carcass rotted the smell attracted dogs from farther away. When some visiting dog gorged, left, and ended up getting rid of it's belly full of spoiled meat, it just scattered contagion farther. More and more came down with intestinal infections and pancreatitis. At least three died, others ended up at the vet's for varying amounts of time and expense. Someone finally posted a plea at the local market begging someone to volunteer their backhoe to bury the nuisance. They left him quite a bill too.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-22-2018 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 08:14 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Canines have a tough constitution. Coyotes eat stuff that would make a billy goat puke and just go on their merry unphased. One of my buddies dogs found a dead steer once and rolled in it when we were out on the range. OMG did he STINK. He was literally black with dead steer. We were in a jeep at the time so the dog wound up running home. We were no way going to let him in the rig. But he was quite happy with the stench.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:27 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Yeah, think about wild dogs. Wolves can catch something, then not eat all of it, and come back to it for several days. Think how gnarly it's gotten in the meantime.

I feed my cat raw chicken hearts, and sometime they're a bit tired, but she doesn't mind and doesn't get sick. That said, if they're *too* dated she won't eat them.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:35 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
The do seem to have stronger constitutions, but they can and do get sick from pathogens.

I would imagine most carnivores have a high degree of resistance to bacteria and such in meat, or they would die off pretty quickly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature