U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:57 PM

13,260 posts, read 10,647,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
huh. I wonder what does make them pick and choose like that. We've had tons of woodpeckers for decades (live in Nat'l Forest) and they're on all the trees around us but have never touched the house that we are aware of.

Nothing like waking up to the jack hammering of a pileated outside the bedroom window just before the crack of dawn for weeks on end tho. lol.
I never had problems with the pileated wood peckers. I watched six of them on one small dead tree and the wood was flying off like they had chainsaws. It was the only time I ever saw that many in one spot.

My problem right now is with a downy wood pecker. Small, light and a fast wood working tool! I did have problems with a flicker years ago on the aluminum rain gutter; but it has been many years since that occasion.

I think this is why we call it wild life; because we never know what to expect next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 02:31 PM

18,100 posts, read 3,661,517 times
[quote=writerwife;53532007]huh. I wonder what does make them pick and choose like that. We've had tons of woodpeckers for decades (live in Nat'l Forest) and they're on all the trees around us but have never touched the house that we are aware of/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too live in a National Forest with numerous pileated woodpeckers (a favorite of mine) around but never any pecking on the house. Maybe they just have too many insect-laden trees to bother with a house...

Old 11-02-2018, 08:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,513 posts, read 50,877,777 times
It’s not just bugs, but they are looking for a dry, warmer nesting place. If there are no dead, hollow trees around, they will try your house.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Itís not just bugs, but they are looking for a dry, warmer nesting place. If there are no dead, hollow trees around, they will try your house.
It is interesting that it only chooses that one wall. I have speculated that it is because the sun hits that wall and maybe the insecticide in the stain is leached out? I also speculated that it was because that wall was close to the large white pines that the bird used to roost; but I have recently cut those pines down. Possibly it could be the height of that wall? The house is a raised ranch and the other walls are not as high as that one over my garages.

Do you or anybody else knows if wood peckers prefer the south side of a tree, for a nesting hole, over the north side?

I am not the only one to ever have this problem; I did a Google image search and ended up with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1280&bih=645. The top, second picture from the right, look like my wood pecker on the side of my house (but it isn't). I guess I should be lucky I do not live out West with the acorn wood peckers!

I have also had problems with the eastern carpenter bees. They are another great reason to always keep wood putty on hand.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:31 AM

917 posts, read 395,654 times
Now that you mention it, the small amount of pecking that the downys do on our cedar sided house is on the south (sunny) side.

It may seem counterintuitive, but what about putting out some suet feeders? If they have a choice between your house and easier-access food (suet) they may just go for the suet. That may be what's happening in our yard, since they seldom bother the house but spend a lot of time on the suet.

Something else that has come to my mind as I've been reading this is maybe you could hang some fluttering ribbons on the house wall to keep them from getting too comfortable when they land there. Kind of like a scarecrow.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Now that you mention it, the small amount of pecking that the downys do on our cedar sided house is on the south (sunny) side.

It may seem counterintuitive, but what about putting out some suet feeders? If they have a choice between your house and easier-access food (suet) they may just go for the suet. That may be what's happening in our yard, since they seldom bother the house but spend a lot of time on the suet.

Something else that has come to my mind as I've been reading this is maybe you could hang some fluttering ribbons on the house wall to keep them from getting too comfortable when they land there. Kind of like a scarecrow.
Thanks for your suggestions. I will hang some ribbons out the window the next time I hear the little pest and see if that makes a difference.

I am torn on the suet feeders. I am hoping that the little stinker moves on to better 'peckings'. I am afraid that, if I feed, I might even attract others to my house.

In the past this has been short lived before they move on. Of course it is not written in stone and it is hard to read the mind of a bird brain! I'll try your ribbon and see what happens!

I am curious about the holes in the south side and wonder if anybody else noticed this pattern? I tried using Google to find out and did not get the right answers. I did see there is a product called "Beakguard" - but it is similar to a latex paint (they call it a elastomeric acrylic finish) and I am afraid the 'cure' might be worse than the problem on my stain finish (its not tintable).

Old 11-03-2018, 09:14 AM

2,344 posts, read 2,113,956 times
Didn't mean we only had pileated... we have all sorts of woodpeckers. Just made me think of the drumming the pileated do when wooing a mate in.... right outside the bedroom!

Hope you figure out a cure!

Old 11-03-2018, 09:17 AM

1,660 posts, read 608,166 times
Don't know if this works but. A neighbor of my parents at a summer home put up balls of tinfoil hanging on strings from eaves of his home to keep away woodpeckers. Was it the movement of these hanging things or the shinny tinfoil or combination I don't know. Iknow they did go after his place, at least for a while. Whether it worked or not I'm not sure. Haven't seen any major damage at his place recently. I'll have to ask next summer.

I just tried to Google the tinfoil trick. Saw a suggestion of using CD disks also.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Don't know if this works but. A neighbor of my parents at a summer home put up balls of tinfoil hanging on strings from eaves of his home to keep away woodpeckers. Was it the movement of these hanging things or the shinny tinfoil or combination I don't know. Iknow they did go after his place, at least for a while. Whether it worked or not I'm not sure. Haven't seen any major damage at his place recently. I'll have to ask next summer.

I just tried to Google the tinfoil trick. Saw a suggestion of using CD disks also.
I might have found the reason the little bugger was pecking on me. I might have cut down its home? I had a dying maple tree that was hit by lightening and was only fifty feet from my wall. I also cut down several white pines and the maple was under them. I did not realize, until an hour ago, that the maple had a woodpecker hole in one of the top larger limbs. So it could be that he is thinking: You took my home so I'm moving in!

I have not heard or have seen him today. Maybe he moved on (fingers crossed). But I will try ribbon and tinfoil balls the next time he is out there. Thank you!

Old 11-06-2018, 07:33 PM

6,365 posts, read 7,369,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I might have found the reason the little bugger was pecking on me. I might have cut down its home?
With that many small holes, it's very unlikely that it is looking to excavate a new home. It's most likely only looking for insects.

There is one other possibility though: it could be retribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature