U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:55 PM

13,260 posts, read 10,647,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
With that many small holes, it's very unlikely that it is looking to excavate a new home. It's most likely only looking for insects.

There is one other possibility though: it could be retribution.
Yes and no. There was one hole in the middle that could easily fit that small woodpecker. All the rest of the holes where exploratory looking for insects. They were not all created at the same time. I did not get out the high ladder just for the first few holes. As soon as it created a hole big enough to live in; then it was time to immediately repair - I did not want the rain and snow getting inside my wall.

By the way; I think it finally moved on. I have not seen or heard from it for a few days. Of course it is always possible that the little bugger will come back for the next nesting season (retribution)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:20 AM

13,580 posts, read 29,563,482 times
If all else fails, buy them a house.

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Houses-b.../dp/B004I1933C

Old Today, 07:30 AM

13,260 posts, read 10,647,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If all else fails, buy them a house.

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Houses-b.../dp/B004I1933C
Sure; you want to encourage bad behavior! We actually have many birdhouses outside; possibly that is the problem? Seriously I have never seen the little Downy's in one of our birdhouse. Perhaps they simply are do-it-yourselfers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature