U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
 
Location: planet earth
2,962 posts, read 1,040,749 times
Reputation: 6727

Advertisements

I use "human terms" because I am a human and that is all I have access to . . . obviously!

Anyway, I "keep asking" questions like these because I am fascinated by the physical differences and psychological and social behavior of different species.

I am a curious person.

The coughing question is fascinating to me because I have had coughing spells that literally lasted hours upon end - and several such spells over my lifetime. A certain percentage of the human population has had these spells. I have heard people having these fits of coughing - so I have been an eyewitness that it is something some humans have/do . . . but I have never seen a cat or a dog cough for hours on end to the point of collapse. Never seen a bird or a squirrel have a coughing fit. So I am interested in why that would be the case. It is a very crude question and could be refined, but it is just something that went through my head.

On the moods: Yes, I have seen animals have moods - some of what I would perceive as sadness, some depression, some happiness - some apparent grief - but I have never seen any animal sob tears for hours. I have never seen any animal be in a "happy mood," and then all of a sudden, with no outside stimulus become morbid and depressed (as some humans do). I am interested in the emotional life of animals, how they process feelings, what the physical differences might be (such as tears not flowing for hours, nose not getting runny, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
27,662 posts, read 17,711,469 times
Reputation: 40084
Yeah, but just that there is a disease called Kennel Cough should give you a hint.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
 
Location: planet earth
2,962 posts, read 1,040,749 times
Reputation: 6727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, but just that there is a disease called Kennel Cough should give you a hint.
It's different. You obviously have no clue what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,265 posts, read 1,581,155 times
Reputation: 15100
OP, TBH this thread follows the pattern so many others you pose do. You pose questions in a vague rather judgmental way (why do only humans have such and such...why don't animals do such and such like people do) and get responses you don't like or clarifying questions you can't brush off. Next, you re-direct and qualify the original questions in order to justify them. You get more responses you don't like, you continue to dodge, deflect and argue the point that is getting less and less clear. You just can't let it go. The forum ends up in a pointless multi-page argument. In other words, wasted time and effort. My impression is that what you really want is an excuse to argue, not an actual answer to the question.

Animals do not do things for the exact same reason or in the same manner that humans do. They are not going to start. They are not right or wrong, not better or worse, less or more. They are just different. You say you are a curious person. Fine. A curious person who wants to know why an animal does something a human may not should know there are plenty of information sources out there. However, it's a lot harder to start an argument with a reference than an anonymous forum isn't it? No fun accepting what the reference says. There's more going on here than mere curiosity.

As for others not having a clue about what you mean, what you meant, or what you want, have to fully agree with that. Have doubts whether you do either.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
Status: "Getting older everyday" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Willamette valley, oregon
2,479 posts, read 650,980 times
Reputation: 3380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I had a pet largemouth bass that lived in a large swimming tank for some ducks in my backyard. I kept the water fresh and fed it well. It lived and grew for several years. Then one day, I found it dead on the ground, outside the tank. I guess it needed more than food and fresh water and decided to end it all.

Well, fish do jump for many reasons. I suspect it jumped for a fly or some other insect and then went OOPS, flopped around for a minute or two and then died. Makes more sense then it wanted to end it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
 
18,005 posts, read 9,883,430 times
Reputation: 17504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Well, fish do jump for many reasons. I suspect it jumped for a fly or some other insect and then went OOPS, flopped around for a minute or two and then died. Makes more sense then it wanted to end it all.
Betas leap out of their bowls because they're just ornery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
Status: "Getting older everyday" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Willamette valley, oregon
2,479 posts, read 650,980 times
Reputation: 3380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Betas leap out of their bowls because they're just ornery.

You're probably right about that. Cultured aquarium fish do behave differently from wild fish. I think I've heard that Betas are feisty fish. Hopefully there is a human around to help them out, otherwise it's "so long cruel world!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
 
Location: S.W. British Columbia
6,047 posts, read 5,820,632 times
Reputation: 10566
Aquariums have covers on them (or at least they should have them) for various practical reasons, one of which is to prevent fish from leaping out of the aquariums.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
 
Location: S.W. British Columbia
6,047 posts, read 5,820,632 times
Reputation: 10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Betas leap out of their bowls because they're just ornery.

Personally I think it's cruel to keep a fish (or any other animal) imprisoned in a bowl. It's not possible to keep a bowl environment properly oxygenated and at the right temperatures, healthy, natural and conducive to a good sense of well-being for the occupant. Bettas are extremely territorial and if they're content with their territory nothing will induce them to try to escape from it and they'll do everything within their power to stay in it and defend it from intruders. If bettas try to leap out of their bowls it's because there's something about their environment that is really uncomfortable / unhealthy / toxic for them that they're trying to escape from. Usually it's because of their water going toxic and painfully blinding them.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
 
9,323 posts, read 7,329,814 times
Reputation: 22813
Really? Another misanthropic thread? OP, you seem determined to find unfounded faults with human beings while putting animals on some anthropomorphic pedestal.

Animals cough. How would anyone accurately assess mood?

Last edited by charlygal; Yesterday at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top