U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:27 PM

3,275 posts, read 1,137,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I have. I had a yorkie who loved to play with tennis balls. Unfortunately, like many small dogs, he had bad teeth and at every cleaning he would lose at least one. When he lost most of his teeth he could no longer pick up the tennis ball and he broke down and cried and got so frustrated that he couldn't pick up the ball. It hit me, so I immediately went out in search of something he could pick up and found felt covered Styrofoam balls made for cats. He was so happy because he could get his whole mouth around them. They came in a two pack and one would last several weeks before it crushed and I was so afraid of running out I bought every pack in the store and when they resupplied I bought every pack again. He also, if we went away and left him with my mom, would upon return sit on the couch facing the wall with his butt to us. We would laugh and coax him with his favorite treat until he forgave us for leaving him.
That is so sweet.

What a great friend you are to your little buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 02:36 PM

1,393 posts, read 557,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
That is so sweet.

What a great friend you are to your little buddy.
Were, he has been gone now for about 20 years. Still miss him though, he was a great dog. thanks

Old 11-05-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, we have a parakeet that talks and imitates about every sound she likes. With the allergies and respiratory cruds her human flock members have on a regular basis, that little bird sounds like she's got the worst cold, as she accurately imitates our coughs, sneezes and sniffles. She'll even say "Bless you"( sounds like Bess you), "s'cuse me", and "thank you" after she does those respiratory imitations.

But moody? I don't think I've ever seen that little bird in anything but an exhuberant happy playful mood.
She sounds like a kick!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 PM

Principles of Animal Behavior is a very expensive text book on Amazon. Looks fantastic.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:10 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,883,747 times
Quote:
Principles of Animal Behavior is a very expensive text book on Amazon. Looks fantastic.

You might be able to download it: principles of animal behavior | Download eBook pdf, epub, tuebl, mobi

Old 11-05-2018, 05:02 PM

607 posts, read 151,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
??? Of course animals can have chronic coughs. There are parasite infestations that affect the lungs in deer. Horses and other livestock can also have chronic coughs due to feed allergies and mold exposure. Dogs cough because of chronic bronchitis, heart failure, heartworm parasitism, collapsed trachea, paralysis of the larynx. Beagles do this thing called a "reverse sneeze". I'm not a cat person but assume they can have forms of these problems too.

Animals don't have moods? Of course they do. Consider more belligerent behavior many deer species show during fall rut. Why do you think birds and other wildlife put on courtship displays, defend territories or sing? Moods triggered by hormones. They can be depressed when sick just like humans can. Ever been around a dog or cat in season?

You must have never spent much time around animals.
This! Very true!

Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM

2,195 posts, read 829,749 times
Pets get upper respiratory infections, runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, and get listless. These symptoms are often associated with distemper a serious disease.
Animals do cough. Dogs will. Horses too.
All animals have moods. Humans just have to want to connect more to their animals and they will notice it easily.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 20 days ago)

13,361 posts, read 7,540,855 times
Quote:
Just wondering why you don't see dogs or cats or other animals with chronic coughs or becoming moody.
What? My Great Dane has a chronic cough she takes Benadryl for. And what does moodiness have to do with coughing?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:46 AM

3,117 posts, read 1,656,136 times
Quote:
You've seen a moody fish?
Yes, many times, when I was raising cichlids. Very intelligent, and often had individual quirks that would change with the conditions in their environment.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:57 PM

2,451 posts, read 4,462,050 times
Quote:
Once again, you do not perceive what I am asking about... I know animals have "moods." I was inquiring about something I explained in a previous post.
I'm really confused. In your original post you asked why animals DON'T have moods. Now you say you know they DO.

I'm not attacking you; I'm a biologist who thought I might have something to add to the discussion, but now I'm baffled as to what it was you were asking, so I have nothing to contribute. Perhaps you could re-word your original post so it's more clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or