Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 06:34 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why you don't see dogs or cats or other animals with chronic coughs or becoming moody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 06:36 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Smoking.

I don't know. I've hunted over some cranky dogs and if we go away for a couple days the under the porch cat is always out of sorts when we return.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
?
Dogs have moods.

My dog that just died had a chronic cough from chf.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:11 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Wild animals have good and bad days. I have watched as a doe walked up to a large gobbler and kicked it like a football. They normally get along great together. I have also watched as a large gobbler went up to a deer and spiked it in the side.

We have watched as deer tried to stomp raccoons and watched as raccoons challenged deer. Skunks have disagreements with raccoons and other animals all the time and they will give others a little 'perfume' to let them know they came too close. Just ask any dog owner that likes to let their animal run outside.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering why you don't see dogs or cats or other animals with chronic coughs or becoming moody.

I think you mean you're wondering why YOU don't see it. I suspect you just probably haven't spent much time in your life around very many animals. Go do some volunteer work on a regular basis at an animal shelter/rescue service and it will open your eyes to the various physical and mental health problems that animals can suffer from.

I've encountered lots of cats and dogs with chronic coughs, often as a result of them contracting kennel cough at some time in their past and it wasn't properly treated in time. Really small toy breed dogs and dogs with short muzzles seem to be particularly susceptible to respiratory allergies, coughs, sneezing and other problems, in my experience.

I've also seen many types of animals become moody and unpredictable, both domestic and non-domestic animals, even birds and fish. There's animals that suddenly turn insanely vicious against other animal companions or people without any warning or apparent reason, and pets that get severe separation anxiety and act crazy as soon as their owners leave them alone. There's animals that become despondent when their environment changes, and pets that fall into the depths of depression and sometimes pine away and die after a beloved companion or owner has gone missing or died.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
?
Dogs have moods.

My dog that just died had a chronic cough from chf.
Was it the same kind of choking, hacking cough that some people with bronchitis or COPD or allergies have? Non-stop coughing?

Old 11-03-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think you mean you're wondering why YOU don't see it. I suspect you just probably haven't spent much time in your life around very many animals. Go do some volunteer work on a regular basis at an animal shelter/rescue service and it will open your eyes to the various physical and mental health problems that animals can suffer from.

I've encountered lots of cats and dogs with chronic coughs, often as a result of them contracting kennel cough at some time in their past and it wasn't properly treated in time. Really small toy breed dogs and dogs with short muzzles seem to be particularly susceptible to respiratory allergies, coughs, sneezing and other problems, in my experience.

I've also seen many types of animals become moody and unpredictable, both domestic and non-domestic animals, even birds and fish. There's animals that suddenly turn insanely vicious against other animal companions or people without any warning or apparent reason, and pets that get severe separation anxiety and act crazy as soon as their owners leave them alone. There's animals that become despondent when their environment changes, and pets that fall into the depths of depression and sometimes pine away and die after a beloved companion or owner has gone missing or died.

You've seen a moody fish?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:41 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Do fish have feelings? Maybe ...

Old 11-03-2018, 10:23 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
I had a pet largemouth bass that lived in a large swimming tank for some ducks in my backyard. I kept the water fresh and fed it well. It lived and grew for several years. Then one day, I found it dead on the ground, outside the tank. I guess it needed more than food and fresh water and decided to end it all.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:40 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
??? Of course animals can have chronic coughs. There are parasite infestations that affect the lungs in deer. Horses and other livestock can also have chronic coughs due to feed allergies and mold exposure. Dogs cough because of chronic bronchitis, heart failure, heartworm parasitism, collapsed trachea, paralysis of the larynx. Beagles do this thing called a "reverse sneeze". I'm not a cat person but assume they can have forms of these problems too.

Animals don't have moods? Of course they do. Consider more belligerent behavior many deer species show during fall rut. Why do you think birds and other wildlife put on courtship displays, defend territories or sing? Moods triggered by hormones. They can be depressed when sick just like humans can. Ever been around a dog or cat in season?

You must have never spent much time around animals.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-03-2018 at 11:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature