U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM
 
875 posts, read 650,522 times
Reputation: 1682

Advertisements

I've finally accepted that in my area any non-treated Ash trees will die over the next decade. There's a couple spectacular 125+ year old trees (at my kids' school's outdoor classrooms) that I think I can raise funds to treat but there's at least another 50 trees that are 30-75 years old that will have to be left to the Emrald Ash Borer.

I'd like to start gathering seeds to plant underneath the current canopy. I'm thinking white oak/shagbark hickory on the drier areas. In the lowland areas that flood (usually drains within 8 hours), I'm having trouble thinking of anything to plant that will establish under a heavy canopy. Any suggestions? This is in the NC Piedmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2018, 05:24 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
1,710 posts, read 645,213 times
Reputation: 3424
Very informative article: https://hort.uwex.edu/articles/my-as...ald-ash-borer/


Biggest problem with treatment is that it needs to be repeated each year.


Recommendations for replacement-- anything native to your area.


BTW- I admire your attitude-- A man who plants a tree does it for the benefit of his grand kids, not himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,973 posts, read 11,152,800 times
Reputation: 5246
It makes me sad. Our property line from the road back 200 yards to the edge of the woods is mostly ash. They go down the road and around our pond. It's going to look a lot different when they're gone. I'll transplant maple seedlings from elsewhere in the woods and hope they get a strong start before we lose the ash.



Without ash trees our fall colors will start later. They're the last leaves to open but first to change and fall. I'm watching for woodpeckers on the trees every time I'm out. EAB has been found north and south of me (Maine) already. Won't be long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM
 
24,071 posts, read 17,669,039 times
Reputation: 12886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It makes me sad. Our property line from the road back 200 yards to the edge of the woods is mostly ash. They go down the road and around our pond. It's going to look a lot different when they're gone. I'll transplant maple seedlings from elsewhere in the woods and hope they get a strong start before we lose the ash.



Without ash trees our fall colors will start later. They're the last leaves to open but first to change and fall. I'm watching for woodpeckers on the trees every time I'm out. EAB has been found north and south of me (Maine) already. Won't be long.
first the chestnuts. then the elms. now the ash.
gotta wonder what's next..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 PM
 
Location: DC metropolitan area
575 posts, read 183,784 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
first the chestnuts. then the elms. now the ash.
gotta wonder what's next..
They found a 115-foot, 100-year-old American chestnut in the woods of Maine: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-save-chesnuts. I think they have plans to try to reproduce from it.

Here in the DC area, the green ash started to succumb in the last 5-10 years. All the mature ones I know of are already gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
 
Location: DC metropolitan area
575 posts, read 183,784 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I've finally accepted that in my area any non-treated Ash trees will die over the next decade. There's a couple spectacular 125+ year old trees (at my kids' school's outdoor classrooms) that I think I can raise funds to treat but there's at least another 50 trees that are 30-75 years old that will have to be left to the Emrald Ash Borer.

I'd like to start gathering seeds to plant underneath the current canopy. I'm thinking white oak/shagbark hickory on the drier areas. In the lowland areas that flood (usually drains within 8 hours), I'm having trouble thinking of anything to plant that will establish under a heavy canopy. Any suggestions? This is in the NC Piedmont.
American holly. Pawpaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Floribama
13,580 posts, read 29,563,482 times
Reputation: 11982
Southern bottomland trees that come to my mind are Sweetbay Magnolia, Sugarberry, Blackgum, Cherrybark Oak, Overcup Oak, Sycamore, River Birch, Spruce Pine, Pond Pine, Pond Cypress, and Bald Cypress.

Red Maple and Willow Oak are also bottomland trees, but are likely overplanted in NC.


I have a few Ash trees that I planted in the woods behind my home, but down here they pretty much only naturally occur near rivers and creeks, so mine are fairly isolated. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top