U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 AM

13,376 posts, read 10,720,230 times

Advertisements

The OP was actually doing the right thing to help cut down the number of chiggers on their property by cleaning up the brush. All they were missing was some 'Deet' spray around their ankles and arms. But, once you make contact with chiggers your not likely to make the same mistake again. When they get the lot is cleared of loose vegetation and turned into a lawn; the OP would be less likely to face the same problem. But, even on a lawn, you can still have problems.

Their bites are painful and take a long time to heal. In all my 71 years I have never seen a chigger; although I have had many chigger bites. That is the most frustrating part; I would love to have the chance for revenge. If I could see them; I would torture the little buggers for all the suffering they had inflicted over the years. It's like fighting a battle with the invisible man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 07:44 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,769,816 times
I got my worst chiggar infestation picking blackberries as a child in Alabama. I counted over 120 in just the area covered by my tidy whities not to mention many others in my armpits. It was the beginning of a miserable week.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:05 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,132,346 times
I'm in Alabama. I never got them but my husband and kids did when an above ground pool was being put in when the kids were little. The chiggers were in the sand used for the base under the pool. The eldest daughter got them the worst, she was covered in them. Well, like one poster said.. we couldn't actually see the chiggers, only the results.
It was awful.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:36 AM

18,270 posts, read 10,015,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I must just be lucky, but I've never encountered either a chigger or a tick. I spent time in the Army in Georgia and Alabama, out in the brush, but never attracted any.
If you were properly in uniform--long sleeves with bloused trousers and boots--you avoided them. That precisely why the military does the bloused trouser thing.

For everyone else, wear socks and boots and tuck your trouser legs into the boots.

I was out of the military before I broke that rule. For real, chiggers are pure hell.

Chiggers are larvae that are actually burrowing in and actively devouring your flesh--that's why they itch/burn so badly. You're being eaten alive.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:21 AM

6,380 posts, read 3,552,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I got my worst chiggar infestation picking blackberries as a child in Alabama. I counted over 120 in just the area covered by my tidy whities not to mention many others in my armpits. It was the beginning of a miserable week.
I still remember the long-ago summer afternoon my brother and I spent rolling down the hill in my aunt's backyard. What fun! Well, it was fun that afternoon - the next day we discovered the hard way that the hill was infested with chiggers. OUCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If you were properly in uniform--long sleeves with bloused trousers and boots--you avoided them. That precisely why the military does the bloused trouser thing.

For everyone else, wear socks and boots and tuck your trouser legs into the boots.
This. And spray the point where the pants and sleeves tuck in with permethrin insecticide. The goal is to keep the little buggers from reaching your skin alive; if they do, they'll burrow in for a snack and you'll be an itchy, welty mess.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 PM

12,550 posts, read 13,181,270 times
Quote:
yes this, me too
grew up in the woods in western north carolina, my mom would send us kids out to pick blackberries for her to freeze, and i would end up covered head to toe in chigger bites. i don't know which was worse the pain of the chigger bites or my parents laughing that i got so many --- they would count them on me as they put on calamine lotion and it was well over 100 each time (and i was a tiny little kid).

really, who sends their kid out over and over knowing they will wind up in pain every time and then laughing about it?

Old 11-12-2018, 01:32 PM

1,048 posts, read 302,757 times
Quote:
You got me beat. My first was 72. Just on my legs. I thought I was safe not really in the grass but in an area with a few tufts and soil washing the lawn furniture. We blamed spraying the neighbor had done that killed, among other things, nematodes.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:41 PM

21,671 posts, read 26,370,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I was out of the military before I broke that rule. For real, chiggers are pure hell.

Chiggers are larvae that are actually burrowing in and actively devouring your flesh--that's why they itch/burn so badly. You're being eaten alive.
They do not really burrow. They inject an enzyme that dissolves tissue so they can eat it, though, so they do really eat you alive!

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/ar...uestion488.htm

Old 11-12-2018, 02:21 PM

13,376 posts, read 10,720,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
They do not really burrow. They inject an enzyme that dissolves tissue so they can eat it, though, so they do really eat you alive!

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/ar...uestion488.htm
You had to tell me!

All I know is that the bites are painful and do not go away quickly. One of these days I want to buy a microscope simply to torture chiggers! I just hate things that get a free lunch on me!

Old 11-12-2018, 05:18 PM

1,048 posts, read 302,757 times
And that's why, if you catch the 'wounds' before they get infected, you'll see what looks like tiny little round cups. Just the perfect shape of their little chigger heads that nested in their while they ate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature