U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:28 PM

1,697 posts, read 791,437 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid in the Midwest, we all got a lot of bites from rolling around on the ground a lot. My parents' treatment was to paint the bite with clear nail polish. Supposedly it suffocated the chigger. I have no idea if it worked or not, but if we got a bite, we got the nail polish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 10:09 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,801,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
I didn't realize the chigger problem on my property and got a real introduction around my ankles. Some folks say tea tree oil keeps them away and others say spray with the permethrin outside. We are presently clearing a lot of brush out of the perimeters of property. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the chiggers away? Can a dog get chiggers?
Back when Henry Ford first invented the Model T, he traveled to Savannah, GA and tried using the Spanish Moss as cushioning for the seats in his vehicles, unaware of the chiggers that resided in it.

It triggered the 1st ever vehicle recall in history. They told all their customers they had to work the bugs out.....

It did lead to the first company slogan for Ford however, which was "Aren't you just itchin' for a Ford?"

SS

Old 11-13-2018, 07:45 AM

13,375 posts, read 10,720,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Back when Henry Ford first invented the Model T, he traveled to Savannah, GA and tried using the Spanish Moss as cushioning for the seats in his vehicles, unaware of the chiggers that resided in it.

It triggered the 1st ever vehicle recall in history. They told all their customers they had to work the bugs out.....

It did lead to the first company slogan for Ford however, which was "Aren't you just itchin' for a Ford?"

SS
That sounds like an interesting story so I tried to confirm your information. I cannot confirm the part about a 'recall'. I might not have looked in the right place? But I did find this one link to a 1937 monthly that was put out by Popular Science: https://books.google.com/books?id=ei...epage&q&f=true. They describe, on page 32, the Spanish moss business and how 20,000,000 pounds a year were harvested, 'cured', run through a gin, and sold. The curing process, according to that article took 2 to 6 months. I have to wonder about all of the workers that were exposed to chiggers during this process (not to mention the poisonous snakes). That article is continued on page 119; which is toward the bottom of that long link.

I actually went to the first article and skimmed all the way through that link. It is amazing how much our Nation has changed since 1937. Some of the products sold back then are still around and others have long ago vanished. In general we were more self sufficient and optimistic about the future than we are today.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:01 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,132,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
When I was a kid in the Midwest, we all got a lot of bites from rolling around on the ground a lot. My parents' treatment was to paint the bite with clear nail polish. Supposedly it suffocated the chigger. I have no idea if it worked or not, but if we got a bite, we got the nail polish.

That's what everyone around here said at the time also. I didn't do it because I would have had to have a vat filled with it and have dunked the kids up to their necks!

It never even occurred to me to count the bites they had. Don't know if I could have. Like counting the stars.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:51 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,801,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That sounds like an interesting story so I tried to confirm your information. I cannot confirm the part about a 'recall'. I might not have looked in the right place? But I did find this one link to a 1937 monthly that was put out by Popular Science: https://books.google.com/books?id=ei...epage&q&f=true. They describe, on page 32, the Spanish moss business and how 20,000,000 pounds a year were harvested, 'cured', run through a gin, and sold. The curing process, according to that article took 2 to 6 months. I have to wonder about all of the workers that were exposed to chiggers during this process (not to mention the poisonous snakes). That article is continued on page 119; which is toward the bottom of that long link.

I actually went to the first article and skimmed all the way through that link. It is amazing how much our Nation has changed since 1937. Some of the products sold back then are still around and others have long ago vanished. In general we were more self sufficient and optimistic about the future than we are today.
They told all their customers they had to work the bugs out.....

Went right over your head, didn't it??

SS

Old 11-13-2018, 12:45 PM

13,375 posts, read 10,720,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
They told all their customers they had to work the bugs out.....

Went right over your head, didn't it??

SS
Yep! It doesn't take much!

PS Did you check out that old Popular Science link? They did things differently back in the 1930's. They were showing a machine for the movie theaters that tried to imitate the sound of gunfire - I don't think it would go over big today!

Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM

2,432 posts, read 4,456,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I must just be lucky, but I've never encountered either a chigger or a tick. I spent time in the Army in Georgia and Alabama, out in the brush, but never attracted any. But once, out in the high desert in Eastern Oregon, my dad picked up a large tick, about the size of a sunflower seed. It was embedded in the worst possible place it could be on a man.

It became my job to get rid of it for him. I tried rubbing gasoline on it, but that burned my dad painfully and the tick stayed put. So I had to strike matches and by burning its back end and trying not to burn my dad's delicate parts, I finally got it to pull out its head. There was more pain for him, when I used iodine to disinfect the wound.
Never try to burn a tick or put gasoline on it. Gasoline won't suffocate them because of the way they breathe and fire next to skin is a bad idea for obvious reasons. I'm an entomologist and have had to take plenty of ticks off myself, other people, and dogs. The correct way to remove one is to take tweezers, grab the head close to the person's skin, and put straight up/back. Sometimes the mouthparts will be so embedded they stay behind, but they'll fall out eventually if you can't get them with a second pass of the tweezers.

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

Old Today, 05:55 PM

13,662 posts, read 29,667,818 times
I had chigger bites all over both of my ankles last fall, it was pure misery and it took about a month before they got better. The only thing that helped was borrowing some of my friend’s prescription eczema cream.

Now for the past few days I have an itchy red spot on the back of my calf, and it feels just like chigger bites again. Seems odd that it would be that high up and not on my ankles again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature