U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:20 AM

131 posts, read 116,183 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize the chigger problem on my property and got a real introduction around my ankles. Some folks say tea tree oil keeps them away and others say spray with the permethrin outside. We are presently clearing a lot of brush out of the perimeters of property. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the chiggers away? Can a dog get chiggers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 09:46 AM

467 posts, read 161,638 times
Use bug spray before working out in the yard. Dogs should be on Frontline or similar medication

In a couple weeks it will be too cold for them to be active and you won't have to worry about them till spring.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:01 PM

9,612 posts, read 8,709,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
I didn't realize the chigger problem on my property and got a real introduction around my ankles. Some folks say tea tree oil keeps them away and others say spray with the permethrin outside. We are presently clearing a lot of brush out of the perimeters of property. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the chiggers away? Can a dog get chiggers?
Dog sure can get them. And, dogs bring them into the house! We found that Preen insect treatment works pretty well in the yard to keep chiggers and other vermin at bay.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:33 PM

21,203 posts, read 33,179,641 times
Chiggers love to infest Spanish Moss. I learned this as a child when my sisters were playing in the yard and made makeshift wigs out of it. If I remember right, our mother scrubbed our heads with kerosene.
If you throw the moss on a bonfire, you can hear the chiggers popping as it burns. Another childhood thrill.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 PM

131 posts, read 116,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Chiggers love to infest Spanish Moss. I learned this as a child when my sisters were playing in the yard and made makeshift wigs out of it. If I remember right, our mother scrubbed our heads with kerosene.
If you throw the moss on a bonfire, you can hear the chiggers popping as it burns. Another childhood thrill.

No spanish moss on our property in Blairsville but when I lived in Savannah lots of it! Thanks for the recommendation on the chigger spray. Will definitely use it come Summer months

Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 PM

21,671 posts, read 26,370,725 times
Quote:
https://www.thoughtco.com/avoid-chigger-bites-1968598

Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 PM

10,033 posts, read 5,832,853 times
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear the chiggers feasted on you. I was just a little kid from NYS visiting grandparents in Indiana. GMa said don't go up there, you'll get chiggers. She might as well said go meet the ice cream truck. All I remember was her taking me to a doctor, getting some bath and talking about it to my Mom (her daughter).

Now, as an adult, I still haven't run across chiggers but I definitely know about fleas and ticks. I know dogs aren't immune to ticks. You do have to protect them but still would not walk into an area that would be infested, for both our sakes.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:48 PM

7,337 posts, read 2,297,340 times
I must just be lucky, but I've never encountered either a chigger or a tick. I spent time in the Army in Georgia and Alabama, out in the brush, but never attracted any. But once, out in the high desert in Eastern Oregon, my dad picked up a large tick, about the size of a sunflower seed. It was embedded in the worst possible place it could be on a man.

It became my job to get rid of it for him. I tried rubbing gasoline on it, but that burned my dad painfully and the tick stayed put. So I had to strike matches and by burning its back end and trying not to burn my dad's delicate parts, I finally got it to pull out its head. There was more pain for him, when I used iodine to disinfect the wound.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:51 AM

1,048 posts, read 302,757 times
There are bug sprays like Coleman's you can spray on skin or clothing that have various percentages of deet that I have been told help.

You could also look into Beneficial Nematodes.

I don't like to spray in the gardens because that effects all the wildlife we get.

I flick my socks and slacks before entering the house. Also remember to put your clothes in the washer as you come in. I wear banded slacks at the ankle or socks up over the slacks bottom.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 AM

1,048 posts, read 302,757 times
Stopped and looked for the topic where we discussed this a while ago to help you. Take a look and ask anything else you can think to add:

Tricks/hints to minimize tick/chigger bites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature