U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2018, 10:01 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,591 posts, read 1,745,548 times
Reputation: 16347

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't know if you are old enough to remember the 9.2 that happened in Alaska in 1964 but I do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake

.
I wasn't up here in '64 so didn't feel that one. A couple of friends here did live through it however. One lost her older sister when their house collapsed into a fissure. We do get smaller quakes all the time. Seems like there's a noticeable one every month. Lots you don't feel, but you realize they happened when checking things around the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 PM
 
58 posts, read 8,756 times
Reputation: 123
Parnassia, did your friends stay in the area or move away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2018, 10:38 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,591 posts, read 1,745,548 times
Reputation: 16347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
Parnassia, did your friends stay in the area or move away?
One family moved, one stayed, but both friends are up here now. No idea why their families did either. Many people lost their jobs when their employer's business was destroyed. Not everyone had insurance/resources to rebuild homes. If their original homesite was obliterated, where else do you build? One friend was interviewed extensively for a state-funded legacy project that collected and archived survivor oral histories. We talked quite a bit about re-living that day and losing her sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 PM
 
58 posts, read 8,756 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
One family moved, one stayed, but both friends are up here now. No idea why their families did either. Many people lost their jobs when their employer's business was destroyed. Not everyone had insurance/resources to rebuild homes. If their original homesite was obliterated, where else do you build? One friend was interviewed extensively for a state-funded legacy project that collected and archived survivor oral histories. We talked quite a bit about re-living that day and losing her sister.
Have you had contact with them today? Hope they're ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2018, 11:35 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,591 posts, read 1,745,548 times
Reputation: 16347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
Have you had contact with them today? Hope they're ok.
Yes, both are fine, no major damage to property. Some of the reporting was histrionic. Seemed the farther away the reporter was, the worse the effects got. I got messages from people I haven't heard from in a year or so. By the time a couple of my overseas relatives heard the report it had blossomed into a much bigger catastrophe than it was. Almost didn't recognize it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2018, 11:53 PM
 
58 posts, read 8,756 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes, both are fine, no major damage to property. Some of the reporting was histrionic. Seemed the farther away the reporter was, the worse the effects got. I got messages from people I haven't heard from in a year or so. By the time a couple of my overseas relatives heard the report it had blossomed into a much bigger catastrophe than it was. Almost didn't recognize it!
Glad to hear they're fine. If I were to experience another quake like my 7.3 in 1992, I'd be very anxious. I still remember it all and that's the main reason I will stay in terra firma Texas. I don't like the summer heat and humidity but the ground doesn't unexpectedly move. It's so freaky to have the kitchen floor roll under your feet as you stand at the sink. The neighborhood kids called it ground surfing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 09:05 AM
 
15,899 posts, read 13,336,706 times
Reputation: 19780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Nature is the off shoot of Animal Forum.

Tsunami is Weather change Caused by Earthquake

Sure Does Not belong in Automotive
Oh my, you think Tsunamis are weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 AM
 
10,698 posts, read 4,254,272 times
Reputation: 15198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh my, you think Tsunamis are weather?
Tsunamis and Earthquakes are weather events, LOL!! Who the heck knew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 09:33 AM
 
58 posts, read 8,756 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Tsunamis and Earthquakes are weather events, LOL!! Who the heck knew
Weather | Definition of Weather by Merriam-Webster
Weather definition is - the state of the atmosphere with respect to heat or cold, wetness or dryness, calm or storm, clearness or cloudiness. How to use weather in a sentence. the state of the atmosphere with respect to heat or cold, wetness or dryness, calm or storm, clearness or cloudiness…
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 10:34 AM
 
15,899 posts, read 13,336,706 times
Reputation: 19780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
Weather | Definition of Weather by Merriam-Webster
Weather definition is - the state of the atmosphere with respect to heat or cold, wetness or dryness, calm or storm, clearness or cloudiness. How to use weather in a sentence. the state of the atmosphere with respect to heat or cold, wetness or dryness, calm or storm, clearness or cloudiness…
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weather
Cool. Super relevant if earthquakes or tsunami were atmospheric phenomena....Or maybe you meant to reply to Katie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top