U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2018, 10:36 AM
 
85 posts, read 14,188 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

It was meant to be a general reply. Sorry

Not having a good day. Can I blame the Kindle?

Last edited by Highlyallergic; 12-01-2018 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 AM
 
85 posts, read 14,188 times
Reputation: 169
Delete

Last edited by Highlyallergic; 12-01-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Northern panhandle WV
2,466 posts, read 1,833,850 times
Reputation: 5092
My sister was living in Anchorage during the 1964 Good Friday quake. One of the worst times of my life for a week we had no word if she was alive or dead, I was 12 at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM
 
1,191 posts, read 424,657 times
Reputation: 2108
I remember the earthquake we had on the East Coast. We all ran out of the building. LOL. You're supposed to get underneath something not run while the ground is shaking. If we ever have another one, I will know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM
 
85 posts, read 14,188 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I remember the earthquake we had on the East Coast. We all ran out of the building. LOL. You're supposed to get underneath something not run while the ground is shaking. If we ever have another one, I will know better.
Drop, cover and hold. Never stand in a doorway, when the door slams shut on your fingers you will wish you hadn't done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 02:53 PM
 
Location: NJ
9,428 posts, read 20,429,969 times
Reputation: 6622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Oh yeah....earthquakes. If 2 weeks go by here without one strong enough to rattle pots we start wondering what's wrong! Our shake maps are busy. There was a 5.7 on Wed.

https://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes
Wow! I never knew Alaska had so many quakes in one day. Same for California. No way would I live in either one now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 03:30 PM
 
85 posts, read 14,188 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Wow! I never knew Alaska had so many quakes in one day. Same for California. No way would I live in either one now.
Add Tennessee to your list. They had a 4.4 today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 03:53 PM
 
5,679 posts, read 3,488,038 times
Reputation: 14278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Wow! I never knew Alaska had so many quakes in one day. Same for California. No way would I live in either one now.
In that whole list of Alaska earthquakes, the ones in red are the only ones you might feel if you are in the exact right place.

Officially, there have been 23 earthquakes in California in the past 24 hours. Have you heard about any of those? No. Neither has anyone else, because they were all under magnitude 2.3 and no one felt them, not to mention that they were scattered across a state that is 770 miles long.

I live in California, and I think I've felt one very minor shake in the past three years or maybe longer. People get the wrong idea about "all the earthquakes in California."

Last edited by saibot; 12-12-2018 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 04:17 PM
 
85 posts, read 14,188 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In that whole list of Alaska earthquakes, the ones in red are the only ones you might feel if you are in the exact right place.
Officially, there have been 23 earthquakes in California in the past 24 hours. Have you heard about any of those? No. Neither has anyone else, because they were all under magnitude 2.3 and no one felt them, not to mention that they were scattered across a state that is 770 miles long.
I live in California, and I think I've felt one very minor shake in the past three years or maybe longer. People get the wrong idea about "all the earthquakes in California."
I was born and raised in Southern California. Felt a couple of shakes growing up. Happy birthday to me, in my 40th year California had the strongest quake since 1952, the 7.3 Landers earthquake. All those little shakers are building pressure, not releasing it. Get prepared and stay alert. You'll be miserable if you don't. Or....move to Texas! 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,320 posts, read 1,045,977 times
Reputation: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
Add Tennessee to your list. They had a 4.4 today.
And it was followed later by another one, a 3.3 I think. It happened at 4:15ish ET this morning, so most people were still sound asleep. Supposedly it was felt where I am in northern Alabama but I wouldn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top