U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:17 PM

85 posts, read 14,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
And it was followed later by another one, a 3.3 I think. It happened at 4:15ish ET this morning, so most people were still sound asleep. Supposedly it was felt where I am in northern Alabama but I wouldn't know.
Check out the reactions of those who felt it.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/ear...tennessee.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 06:56 PM

1,884 posts, read 694,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
Add Tennessee to your list. They had a 4.4 today.

While everyone is awaiting the over-due "Big One" in CA, most people don't know about the "REALLY Big One" over-due in the mid-west, the New Madrid fault.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 PM

5,678 posts, read 3,488,038 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Southern California. Felt a couple of shakes growing up. Happy birthday to me, in my 40th year California had the strongest quake since 1952, the 7.3 Landers earthquake. All those little shakers are building pressure, not releasing it. Get prepared and stay alert. You'll be miserable if you don't. Or....move to Texas! 😊
Yeah, I've been here for 50 years...know all about earthquake preparedness...it's drummed into us from birth!

I'm not downplaying the possibility of a major quake at all, just amused by the nervous Nellies who would never set foot in California (or Alaska either, maybe) "because they have earthquakes every day!"

I'll tell you, where I don't want to live is New Jersey. They have ticks! My brother who lives near Princeton has had Lyme disease four times.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 PM

guidoLaMoto, you beat me to it! We're on the same wavelength because I just checked the list of recent quakes for Tennessee. Ridgely gets a lot of shaking and it is about 60 miles from New Madrid Missouri. I wonder if the fault is getting ready to kick.
So far in 2018, Tennessee has had 350 quakes. Officials have said they are not prepared for an event and their buildings are not built to withstand ground shaking. It's a dangerous situation.

Last edited by Highlyallergic; 12-12-2018 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yeah, I've been here for 50 years...know all about earthquake preparedness...it's drummed into us from birth! I'm not downplaying the possibility of a major quake at all, just amused by the nervous Nellies who would never set foot in California (or Alaska either, maybe) "because they have earthquakes every day!"
I'll tell you, where I don't want to live is New Jersey. They have ticks! My brother who lives near Princeton has had Lyme disease four times.
The level of preparedness one must have in California is stressful to maintain. I had a crowbar behind the front door so I could dig out my elderly neighbors. My husband worked in Palm Springs and the sheriff told me if he was at work when an event occurred, the Morongo Grade would not be available. The plan was to blow it up to keep looters from coming up the mountain from Los Angeles in an attempt to take the back road to Las Vegas. His only option would be to try and drive 90 miles to Desert Center and come back that way. There was no way to get home by going through the Joshua Tree National Monument. He'd never make it.

Thankfully, it was a Sunday when the Landers quake hit.

The Marines had told us all to plan on being on our own for 3 weeks because they would be going to the metro area (Los Angeles) if a major quake hit there.

Some people cope by living in denial. They agree that something will happen, just not in their lifetime.

Others, like us, got the heck out of Dodge.

Old Today, 08:20 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,947,657 times
I thought this recent article was interesting. This event happened November 11th.

Strange waves rippled around the world, and nobody knows why

Old Today, 08:31 PM

Concern is mounting.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...e-re-awakening

Old Today, 09:25 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,947,657 times
Quote:

..... So far in 2018, Tennessee has had 350 quakes. Officials have said they are not prepared for an event and their buildings are not built to withstand ground shaking. It's a dangerous situation.

Is fracking still going on in Tennessee?

Personally I think anyone doing fracking within 500 miles of the New Madrid Fault (or Yellowstone for that matter) is just asking for trouble

Old Today, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Is fracking still going on in Tennessee?.
I don't know, but whatever the cause of the shaking, it's not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or